[Complete Arcane] How is Vitriolic Sphere supposed to work?

Pyrex

First Post
This has to be the most badly worded spell I've seen in a long time. After reading it three or four times, this is how I think it's supposed to work.

(assume CL 15)

Round 1: Take 15d4 Acid damage, then make a Ref save. If you save, you still take 15d4, but don't take any continuing damage.

Round 2: If you failed the Round 1 save, take 6d4 save-for-half.

Round 3: If you failed both the Round 1 and Round 2 saves, take 3d4 save for half.

Any other interpretations?

Trainz

Explorer
Well, after reading it myself a few times (just did), it looks like you cannot avoid the full initial 15d4. The 1st round save is to determine if you take damage on the following round. But the saving throw info contradicts that... damn.

Saving Throw: Reflex negates and Reflex Half; see text

You conjure a sizzling emerald sphere that drenches all within the area with a potent acid. Affected creatures take 1d4 points of acid damage per caster level (maximum 15d4) and must succeed on a reflex save or risk taking damage in the following 2 rounds (6d4 points of damage in the second round and 3d4 points of damage in the third round). Both rounds of continuing damage are subject to Reflex saves for half damage; if an affected creature succeeds on its second Reflex save, it takes no acid damage in the third round.

What a sloppy description. And it makes no sense to allow reflex saves for the continuing damage. You either avoided it the first time around, or are drenched in it.

I have no idea what to tell you. I guess I just won't be using that spell IMC.

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Pyrex said:
This has to be the most badly worded spell I've seen in a long time. After reading it three or four times, this is how I think it's supposed to work.

(assume CL 15)

Round 1: Take 15d4 Acid damage, then make a Ref save. If you save, you still take 15d4, but don't take any continuing damage.

Round 2: If you failed the Round 1 save, take 6d4 save-for-half.

Round 3: If you failed both the Round 1 and Round 2 saves, take 3d4 save for half.

Any other interpretations?

That's how I read it. You can't avoid the initial damage, just the subsequent.

Andargor

Trainz

Explorer
andargor said:
That's how I read it. You can't avoid the initial damage, just the subsequent.

At least that's what the description says, but you can't ignore the following:

Saving Throw: Reflex negates and Reflex Half; see text

Spells that have Reflex negates saves allow you to totally negate a spell's effect on a successful Reflex save.

It doesn't jive.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Here is the original spell from Player's Option: Spells & Magic:

Vitriolic Sphere
(Conjuration/Summoning, Elemental Water, Alchemy)

Range: 150 yards Components: V, S, M
Duration: Special Casting Time: 4
Area of Effect: 5-ft. radius Saving Throw: 1/2
Subtlety: +4 Knockdown: d8
Sensory: Medium visual, Critical: Large (1d3 hits)
large olfactory acid
This spell conjures a one-foot sphere of glowing emerald acid that the caster can direct to strike any target within range. When it reaches its target, the sphere explodes and drenches the victim in potent acid. The victim suffers 1d4 points of damage per caster level (to a maximum damage of 12d4) and may attempt a saving throw vs. spell for half damage. If the victim fails his saving throw, he continues to suffer acid damage in the following rounds, sustaining two less dice of damage each round. For example, an 8th-level wizard inflicts 8d4 damage with this spell on the first round, 6d4 on the second round, 4d4 on the third round, 2d4 on the fourth round, and the spell ends in the fifth round. Each round, the subject is entitled to a saving throw—the spell ends when he succeeds, or when the acid damage runs its course. The acid can also be neutralized with soda, ash, lye, charcoal, or removed with a large quantity of water.

The vitriolic sphere also splashes acid in a 5-foot radius around the primary target. Any creatures within the splash radius must save vs. paralyzation or suffer a splash hit that inflicts 1d4 points of damage per every five caster levels. Splash hits do not cause continuing damage. The material component for this spell is a drop of giant slug bile.

Copyright 1999 TSR Inc.

Maybe someone can make a rationale out of what the spell used to do, versus what it does now, to figure out what it's supposed to do. :)

I suspect that part of the problem is that, as a 3.5 conjuration spell, it's "real" acid, which means you don't get to avoid it or MR it - but that doesn't necessarily make sense.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Trainz said:
At least that's what the description says, but you can't ignore the following:

Spells that have Reflex negates saves allow you to totally negate a spell's effect on a successful Reflex save.

It doesn't jive.

seems to jive for me, the see text portion of that is letting you know its funky. The saves are only for continuting damage a successful reflex save will make sure there is no next round of continuing damage, and also if you happen to be suffering a round of continuing damage that reflex save will also 1.2 the current contining damages um damage. So reflex neg(any future rounds of continuing damage) and reflex 1/2(current rounds of continuing damage); see text.(not on 1st shot just continuing damage)

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
My suggestion would be to make it a reflex half, and apply that reflex save to the initial AND recurring damage.

Less saves, more consistency in effect.

Otherwise it sounds like a really cruddy spell.

Squire James

First Post
I second that suggestion. Since it's an area spell, it needs a Reflex save mechanic. A Reflex save for half damage all around seems the way to go.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases