Let's Talk Blue Rose

Lalato

Adventurer
Psion said:
You do know that this system is not new, don't you? It first appeared in Mutants & Masterminds, and was reprinted in a D&D context in AU.

not d20, but HeroQuest uses a one die for everything ruleset. The only disconcerting thing about it is that rolling low is good in that system. So when you roll your d20 and you see a one come up... it takes several seconds before you yell "Booyah!!!"

--sam

Kesh

First Post
I know the concept of a one-die system isn't new, but it's just the timing. :)

And I hadn't seen M&M yet. The damage save system in UA didn't really impress me that much, but I heard Blue Rose had a slightly better version.

Psion

Adventurer
I wasn't talking the concept of the one-die system (heck - that's been around since Traveller). I was talking the damage mechanic that specifically appeared in Blue Rose.

Lalato

Adventurer
Psion said:
I wasn't talking the concept of the one-die system (heck - that's been around since Traveller). I was talking the damage mechanic that specifically appeared in Blue Rose.

True Dat!!! Ah... Traveller... I loved that game... rolling up your character was half the fun.

We now return you to your previously scheduled discussion...

Blue Rose... looks cool... will buy it. :)

--sam

Kesh

First Post
Psion said:
And I was talking about both. :)

JamesDJarvis

First Post
Skywalker said:
What I would like to find is someone who liked Tribe 8 but disliked Blue Rose or vice versa. Tribe 8 has a real angry feminism vibe and in many ways is similar in BR in how it presents same sex marriages, strong female protaganists, anmistic magic and feminist terminology. Despite that, Tribe 8 doesn't get half the criticism that BR has.

I am wondering whether that is because:

1. The d20 crowd has in general a different opinion than Tribe 8 crowd.
2. Unforgiving angry feminism is more palatable than the softer yet uncompromising feel in BR.

I suspect it is a combination of 1 and 2.

Hmmm... Angry feminism? I think i misssed something in tribe 8, granted i only got the first book when it first came out.
I myself am D20 crowd that like Blue Rose (so far) and Tribe 8. Of course I'm probably pretty darned strange, several of my friends are lesbians and or vegetarians. I should probably start pushing RPGs on them again and see if they'll give Tribe-8 or Blue Rose a spin since they haven't been tempted by d20-D&D yet. I have succeed in tempting straight non-vegetarian women to D&D and a couple of them are curious about BR.

Heck i think Green Ronin is to be commended on a so far decent take on another style of fantasy fiction i'd much rather play games in as opposed to read (just like post D&D fanatsy fiction on the average I can't stand the novels but i like the games).

Ranger REG

Explorer
Kesh said:
And I hadn't seen M&M yet. The damage save system in UA didn't really impress me that much, but I heard Blue Rose had a slightly better version.
Well, it's less severe than the one in MnM.

For nonlethal damage, they replaced "stunned" with "dazed," and added "staggered" between "dazed" and "unconscious."

bruised -> dazed -> staggered -> unconscious

For lethal damage, they replaced "injured" with "hurt," and added "wounded"* between "hurt" and "disabled."

hurt -> wounded* -> disabled -> dying -> dead

*See Blue Rose fast-play, available for download at http://bluerose.greenronin.com

Last edited:

Herobizkit

Adventurer
RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

So... Five years later, Blue Rose has been absorbed as a setting for True20. My question - was anything lost mechanically from the transition (ex The Tarot alignment system, magic, rhydan)?

Herobizkit

Adventurer
It was mentioned up-thread. I'm more curious to know if this in fact the case, or if any improvements were made to the original BR rules since 2005. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases