Firearms

marune

First Post
In my current campaign (Set in FR, precisely near Waterdeep) a new player has chosen to play a Swashbuckler (From Complete Warrior).

Remembering fire arms from the old 2E Forgotten Realms Adventure, I looked in the DMG for rules about fire arms.

I have the following questions... (We use 3.5)

1) Pistols and Mukset reload time is 1 standard action. Could a feat bring those to 1 move-equivalent action ?.

2) How would you handle "pre-loading" of the fire arms.

3) Say I have two loaded pistols, (if he PCs know a fight is comming), how would you handle firing with the two pistols, one in each hands.

Thanks for help.

PS. I dont want to know how it would work in RL, etc.. I want advices based on the rules of D&D v. 3.5.

IcyCool

First Post
skeptic said:
1) Pistols and Mukset reload time is 1 standard action. Could a feat bring those to 1 move-equivalent action ?.

Take a look at the Rapid Reload feat for Crossbows. You could probably use that mechanic.

skeptic said:
2) How would you handle "pre-loading" of the fire arms.

The same way I'd handle "pre-loading" of crossbows.

skeptic said:
3) Say I have two loaded pistols, (if he PCs know a fight is comming), how would you handle firing with the two pistols, one in each hands.

See the rules in the PHB for fighting with two weapons (also the rules for firing two crossbows at once, one in each hand).

The crossbow, .22 pistol/rifle of the D&D world. :)

UltimaGabe

First Post
skeptic said:

There was a recent issue of Dragon that talked all about Firearms- different kinds, the stats for all of them, and different modifications you can make to them. One modification you could make (when making the weapon in question) is called "Breechloading"- I believe it costs an extra 500 gp or so, but it allows any firearm that normally takes a Standard Action to load to only require a Move Action to load. From that point, you can just take Rapid Reload, and you've got it as a Free Action. :)

icedrake

Explorer
Ravenloft has a great system for firearms.

TWF with two pistols the same as any other ranged weapon, they can be fired each with a -2 pen.

In Ravenloft pistols do d10s, muskets do d12s of damage. The AC bonus from natural armor and suits of armor (not shields) are halved for attack rolls with firearms.

Standard action to reload, rapid reload kicks that down to a move-action.

To use them, it requires the EWP: Firearms.

Also, a cool weapon, rapier-pistol. Two weapons are combined, can be weapon-finessed and when you make a successful melee attack against a target, you can fire the pistol as a free action the target's flat-footed.

Remove ads