Carrion Crawler Conundrum.

jester47

First Post
Actually its just a question.

If a carrion crawler paralizes a victim, and starts chewing on them, does it continue to use its tentecles to make sure they don't "come out" of the paralysis? Can they use their full attack to tentacle and bite in the same round? Can a character get poisoned by the tentacles once they have the poison in them? That is if a character gets hit by a tentacle and that hit paralyses him for 5 rounds and then he gets hit again, and that one would paralyse him for another 8 does it count since he is already paralysed?

I have a feeling that I was not Rat Bastard enough in the last session.

Aaron.

Crothian

First Post
from what I understand of poison you take the greater amoun. So if some gets paralyzed for 5 rounds and 8 rounds, they are paralyzed for only 8 rounds. THen 4 rounds later they get paralyxed for 6 rounds that writes over the 4 remeaning rounds of the older failed save.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
jester47 said:
Actually its just a question.

If a carrion crawler paralizes a victim, and starts chewing on them, does it continue to use its tentecles to make sure they don't "come out" of the paralysis? Can they use their full attack to tentacle and bite in the same round? Can a character get poisoned by the tentacles once they have the poison in them? That is if a character gets hit by a tentacle and that hit paralyses him for 5 rounds and then he gets hit again, and that one would paralyse him for another 8 does it count since he is already paralysed?

I'd say it probably doesn't matter. The CC's first attack against someone who's paralysed when there is no combat going will most likely be a CdG.

jester47

First Post
Well there was other combat going on. It was 2 carrion crawlers (another at the back end of the cave minding its own business until later in the fight). They got the whole party but only started working in the last two they got. So the rest of the party recovered and proceeded to kill them. I was just wondering if CCs took down a whole party would the party get back up. Apparently I played it fair as I only took the first hits paralysis rounds.

Aaron.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
jester47 said:
Well there was other combat going on. It was 2 carrion crawlers (another at the back end of the cave minding its own business until later in the fight). They got the whole party but only started working in the last two they got. So the rest of the party recovered and proceeded to kill them. I was just wondering if CCs took down a whole party would the party get back up. Apparently I played it fair as I only took the first hits paralysis rounds.

Aaron.
Frankly, I think you were being nicer than nice. I can't imagine there not being multiple character deaths if the entire party is paralysed.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I remember back in 1E, I had some concerns about the logic of a sealed underground temple complex I was putting together. The undead and constructs were obviously no problem, but what would anything living down there have been eating over the centuries?

So I decided to fill the place with carrion crawlers... who had been feeding for generations on a handful of trolls. With dozens, and eventually hundreds, of carrion crawlers wandering around, the trolls were perpetually paralyzed; the crawlers would nibble on them; they'd regenerate. (Under 3E/3.5, the trolls would eventually starve to death, of course, but there was no provision for that in 1E that I recall.)

It made a pleasant double encounter - the PCs raiding the temple would have a grand fight to kill off all the carrior crawlers, go deeper in fight the undead, complete their objectives... and by the time they came back to leave, the paralysis wore off and the trolls were back up to full strength.

... and quite insane, naturally.

-Hyp.

Shuffle

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
I remember back in 1E, I had some concerns about the logic of a sealed underground temple complex I was putting together. The undead and constructs were obviously no problem, but what would anything living down there have been eating over the centuries?

So I decided to fill the place with carrion crawlers... who had been feeding for generations on a handful of trolls. With dozens, and eventually hundreds, of carrion crawlers wandering around, the trolls were perpetually paralyzed; the crawlers would nibble on them; they'd regenerate. (Under 3E/3.5, the trolls would eventually starve to death, of course, but there was no provision for that in 1E that I recall.)

It made a pleasant double encounter - the PCs raiding the temple would have a grand fight to kill off all the carrior crawlers, go deeper in fight the undead, complete their objectives... and by the time they came back to leave, the paralysis wore off and the trolls were back up to full strength.

... and quite insane, naturally.

-Hyp.

That is classic.... I think I'll steal that if you don't mind

Sithobi1

First Post
You can force-feed the trolls baby carrion crawlers, so they won't starve. On the other hand, you could feed them parts of themselves, and they won't starve...

Remove ads