I have d20 Past

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I picked up d20 Past at my FLGSBTESB*

First thing I noticed: The font size throughout is very small, perhaps one font size smaller that d20 Future, which was about one font size smaller than d20 Modern. The interior is full color.

The two page Introduction describes Progress Levels 3 and 4, which is the scope of d20 Past.

Chapter 1 How Real is Your Past? discusses types of historical campaigns (from the accurate to the alternate to the fantastic) and issues to consider when running historical campaigns (literacy, communication, gender issues, etc). It also brings the tactical, local and overland movement rules from D&D into d20 Modern, expanded to include train travel.

Chapter 2 Rules Components - I reallly like how there are notes for using existing material (occupations, skills and feats) in the past alongside the new material. For example, Surgery feat - it is recommended this not be available to around 1850. The equipment section is very well done, but the emphasis is on weapons, armor and vehicles. Some items found in d20 Modern are listed in the tables, but the reader is referred to d20 Modern for the description, and the book's space is used on the new material only. The equipment tables also include a column listing a year of when that item became available. Lots of great new stuff in here, from flintlocks to cannons to Fokker Triplanes. The chapter ends with a section on vehicle movement and combat that expands and appends what's in d20 Modern.

I found this interesting: There is absolutely no mention of any changes to the Wealth system in d20 Past, or any considerations given when using the system in past eras. In fact, a few items found in d20 Modern that are on the tables in d20 Past have the same Purchase DC. In a way, this makes sense as Wealth is an abstract system. I think I would have liked the book to include some formal discussion on using the Wealth system in the past, even if it were just to say nothing changes. Perhaps some notes on restrictions and licenses in different eras should have been included as well.

I haven't read the campaign models yet, but in short:
Age of Adventure is essentially high fantasy elements plus pirates, or Urban Arcana in the past. Shadow Stalkers is Shadow Chasers in the past, and Pulp Heroes is the Polyhedron minigame we all know and love.

I'm happy with what I've read so far, but I still haven't looked at the campaign models in detail. The introduction states that d20 Past is intended to be a toolkit like d20 Future, but admits it is less modular in structure.

*Friendly Local Gaming Store by the Empire State Building

Turanil

First Post
Thanks for sharing!

I will probably have to wait for a week or two before d20 Past reaches France. As such, I would be glad to learn more about it. What about the "crunch"? I mean: feats, classes, etc. I would like to know what are the new classes, and how the magic-oriented ones do work (what about the Mesmerist, Shaman, Sorcerer, etc.: do they have spells per day like wizards and the like, or do they work radically different?).

Bobitron

Explorer
I just picked it up as well. I'm going to read some today, I'll give some impressions later. Looks nice at first glance.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
I posted this elsewhere, but I figured it'd be nice to post here, too.

Looks like WotC does know a good idea when it sees one. I just picked up d20 Past, and on the credits page it lists, among others, some of the d20 Polyhedron minigames as source material - Pulp Heroes and V for Victory specifically. In another pleasantly surprising move, they also apparently used the old 2e Historical Reference book A Mighty Fortress as a source. Nice.

Maybe there's hope for Iron Lords of Jupiter and Thunderball Rally.

Anyway, I'm enjoying d20 Past quite a bit. Now this is the type of d20 sourcebook I'd like to see more of - succinct and inexpensive. It covers what you'd expect - some tweaks to d20 Modern (stuff like some minor mods to starting occupations and rules adjusting vehicle combat for sailing ships), a bit of background info (not all that much, just some info about stuff like life expectancy and travel times), and 3 campaign models.

The three campaign models are: Age of Adventure (swashbuckling in the Three Musketeers/Pirates of the Carribean mode); Shadow Stalkers (along the lines of Masque of the Red Death or Cthulhu by Gaslight - what I've found to be cool are the stats for the Baskerville Hound and the Mister Hyde Template, an entry for the Order of the Crimson Dawn - with cultist stats! - and the Frontier Marshal Prestige Class); and Pulp Heroes (with stats for Nazi superspies, scientists, and soldiers).

I'm actually pretty pleased with my purchase - I'll pay $20US for more books like this, that's for damned sure.

Bobitron

Explorer
Turanil said:
Thanks for sharing!

I will probably have to wait for a week or two before d20 Past reaches France. As such, I would be glad to learn more about it. What about the "crunch"? I mean: feats, classes, etc. I would like to know what are the new classes, and how the magic-oriented ones do work (what about the Mesmerist, Shaman, Sorcerer, etc.: do they have spells per day like wizards and the like, or do they work radically different?).

Here's what I can glean from an initial scan...

Occupations: It adds some new ones that are era-specific, such as Slave and Primitive, and modifies others to fit the period better. For example, the Doctor occupation gets Research to replce Computer Use.

Skills: No real new info, but touches on the changes.

Feats: A couple new ones, like Minions, Obscure Knowledge, Secret Identity, and Sidekick, and explainations of how the D20 Modern feats fit.

Equipment: Dicusses what firearms should be available to each time period, gives a new list of weapons and armor, and gives an overview of vehicles ranging from a Chinese Junk to a BMW 328. Also gives information about vehicle movement and combat, especially as it applies to ships.

Classes: New Advanced Classes include the Explorer (a sort of non-magical ranger/rogue), a generic one for any time period. The Age of Adventure gets the Musketeer (light acrobatic fighter), the Shaman (traditional magician with Divine magic and some nature based features including Animal Companion and Empathy), and the Sorcerer (a dragon-blooded arcane spellcaster). Shadow Stalkers gets the Frontier Marshal (western-style lawman), the Mesmerist (psion), and the Spiritualist (Divine spellcaster with connections to spirits). The Pulp era gets the Flying Ace (pilot, natch), Gangster (intimidating underworld rogue), and Scientist (invention-based scientist of action, rather than lab-based researcher).

Threats: Each era gets a few nasties, including the above-mentioned Hyde template and a Drake to terrorize your swashbucklers.

Each era also contains a sample adventure. The book is finished with a few pages dedicated towards the Shaman's spell list and some D20 Past-ified spells, mostly from D&D.

I haven't used magic in D20 Modern, so I can't comment on it being different, but there is no new mechanics I can see. I assume it is the same as in Modern and Urban Arcana.

Turanil

First Post
Bobitron said:
<...> BMW 328.
What the hell a BMW 328 does in d20 Past??! Or is it a 1930s car? (As I recall, a BMW 328 is from the eighties, thus a modern car.)

Bobitron said:
I haven't used magic in D20 Modern, so I can't comment on it being different, but there is no new mechanics I can see. I assume it is the same as in Modern and Urban Arcana.
Well, magic in d20 Modern is directly based on D&D magic (spell slots per day, preparation, and spells from D&D). It seems logical that their magic-using d20 Past classes use standard D&D magic procedures. Well, there is still third party publishers magic systems available. Maybe someone will do a review of "Art of change" (or something like that) that was released a few days ago on RPGnow. That system could be the answer for a more appropriate and different magic system...

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
jaerdaph said:
It also brings the tactical, local and overland movement rules from D&D into d20 Modern, expanded to include train travel.

Complete with the references to D&D-style nonlethal damage that does hit points of damage....

Sigh. :\

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases