D&D quote in the Washington Post

devilish

Explorer
brehobit said:
From: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A52621-2005Mar20.html

She describes him in Dungeons & Dragons terms as "chaotic good." Such characters, according to a D&D Web site, "are guided by their own moral compass, which although good, may not always be in agreement with the rest of society."

(While I might disagree with the alignment for someone who goes by A) The Prince of Darkness, and B) Doctor Death, it is still fun to see!)

Not bad if that's his ex-wife describing him.

Don't ask my ex- what she thinks my alignment would be...

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
my favorite quote:

"We are certain that in the shadows there is always a Dick Tuck..."

i'm going to assume that's someone's name. ;) although, personally, i would go by Richard, or even Friar. :)

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
fredramsey said:
Sounds more like Lawful Evil to me...

Right, I have been following this a little bit, and he seems very loyal, and probably thinks he is doing the right thing, but willing to use a wide range of means to get there. And his end is political triumph, not some greater good.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
BOZ said:
my favorite quote:

"We are certain that in the shadows there is always a Dick Tuck..."

i'm going to assume that's someone's name. ;) although, personally, i would go by Richard, or even Friar. :)

In this day and age with the people I work with? Yup. A definite name change. Especially not being called, "Dick"....... :p The whole name sounds bad on a gutter level.... :\

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i can't imagine anyone born after say 1950 named Richard going by that nickname. both of my parents have brothers named Richard - one is Uncle Rich, the other is Uncle Rick. :)

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I saw this in print in the paper yesterday...funny to see "Dungeons and Dragons alingment", in a political story, even if it was the Style section.

As for the Chaotic Good, he claims to represent a libertarian element in the party...oops, thats political...in any case it is an "interesting" application of the D&D alignment system :uhoh:

Darth K'Trava

First Post
BOZ said:
i can't imagine anyone born after say 1950 named Richard going by that nickname. both of my parents have brothers named Richard - one is Uncle Rich, the other is Uncle Rick. :)

Considering that all the guys named Richard I know of go by "Richard" and not a shortened version at all.

devilish

Explorer
I remember visiting my father, Richard, at work when I was an early teen.

A colleague of his walked by and said "Hey, Dick!"

I looked at him with a "Aren't you going to punch his lights out?"
and he explained to me the whole Richard/Dick nickname. (I had
only heard the name before used with Richard Nixon and, well, thought
it was a derogative term, not an abbreviation ;) )

-D

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases