Looking for a couple of published PrCs...

Lalato

Adventurer
OK... I need a couple of PrCs that help combine the strengths of these class combinations. Is there any published material that might give me a place to start?

Rogue/Cleric

Druid/Bard

Thanks for your help...
--sam

sullivan

First Post
Lalato said:
Rogue/Cleric

Shadowbane Stalkers from Complete Adventurers are part of a Super Seekrit Society. The PrC flavour text stipulates nearly all members are Cleric/Rogue. It is sort of a Holy Detective Batman type class. Powerwise? Neh. *shrug*

Last edited:

Lalato

Adventurer
Thanks I have the book, but I haven't had a chance to read that PrC... I'll definitely take a closer look at it. Is there anything for a Druid/Bard... perhaps in one of the other Complete books?

--sam

IcyCool

First Post
You know, I hadn't really thought about it, but I think the Arcane Heirophant from Races of the Wild will work for the Druid/Bard combo. I don't know if it will work well, mind you, but I think it will work.

Lalato

Adventurer
Unfortunately, upon closer inspection Shadowbane Stalker won't quite work as it requires Lawful Good. I need something a bit more generic than that... or if restricted, perhaps only by one access as in Neutral or Good or Lawful...

Skullclan Hunter is an interesting one, but most of the campaign is city-based so I'm not sure that it would work to well... but thanks for mentioning it as I had completely forgotten about it. As an aside... Deathknell (the new D&D Minis set) has a Skullclan Hunter mini in it. :)

--sam

Lalato said:
Unfortunately, upon closer inspection Shadowbane Stalker won't quite work as it requires Lawful Good.

It's a Prestige Class built upon a particular organization - one made up of Paladin / Rogues and Cleric / Rogues. Lawful Good makes sense for such an organization.

Talk your DM into changing the entrance requirements around a bit. Make it a part of a different, less strict organization, and consider changing around the abilities a bit.

In fact, I believe that text to this effect precedes the actual class description in CV.

sullivan

First Post
The Shadowbane Stalker Adaptation section discusses changing the underlying group from Order of Illumination to something not so zealous because playing that sort of PC is challenging. Challenging to the player, the DM, and frankly the other players at the table. This comes from the experience of playing a Paladin that was roughly equivalent to Jerry Falwell toting a sword and hopped up on crank. Forceful did not begin to cover his personality. The Lawful/LG line was a fine one to walk, and he found himself short a Paladin power on a few occations to let him know he was leaning over the wrong edge. This required creative player problem solving on my part (to keep from giving into the urge to condem and kill the rest of the party), patience and flexibility from the DM on Paladin interpretation (1e/2e was tougher than 3e), and the willingness for the rest of the party to hide their more grevious transgresions as well as accomidating for the requirements of the Paladin's code.

That said the Adaptation does NOT discuss dropping the LG alignment requirement, which makes sense given the Detect Evil(Sp) you gain at 1st level. However if your DM is fexible there should be room to could come up with a suitable subsitution for that ability, and appropriate renaming for Sacred Stealth/Defense/Strike (a personal trademark for my Rogues that pretend to be Rangers is that they refer to Sneak Attack as Sting Of The Woodlands ;) ).

Frankly I find the class crunchies a bit bland themselves. All the good bits are in the character development possibilities. So alignment changes basically get rid of that. What you end up with is a slightly more sneaky and skilled than normal Cleric/Paladin, or a Rogue that can nominally heal themselves and gives up some Sneak Attack damage and other high level Rogue goodies for for better tanking and Will saves.

Nothing as intreging as as the Skullclan Hunter ability to Sneak Attack Undead.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases