• Yes.

Votes: 147 55.7%
  • No.

Votes: 109 41.3%
  • I just want to see the results.

Votes: 8 3.0%

Ibram

First Post
I mark my books so Im sure to get them back at the end of the night. To many times I've been left with two or three PHBs sitting around to do otherwise.

Painfully

First Post
I tab my most used gaming books by chapter, and then again across the top edge with frequently used pages. It is much more useful than a book without tabs, and helps me keep track of my books even if I do pass them across the table. When you consider how many times you need to open the book to look something up, those tabs pay for themselves in a hurry.

I also insert the errata in my books. Small bits are done by hand, while larger corrections involve using scotch tape and closely trimmed paragraphs to be inserted as necessary. It's a good system overall, not to mention I am better informed about differences between 1st and 2nd printings, and can tell people what they are missing (or not).

The work that goes into updating and tabbing my books make them worth more than new books to me. The payoff is less time flipping pages, and a greater comfort factor when it comes to knowing my books inside and out.

Pip-Boy 2000

First Post
I never mark my books, unless I have more than one copy. I am paranoid about keeping all of my roleplaying books as close to mint condition as I can. This is not always possible; gaming sessions and normal wear-and-tear take their toll.

But I very rarely mark my books. It'd be pretty hard for someone to steal one, because when I take them out of my room, they are usually in a messenger bag or a backpack, and when I take them out, for a game session or just to review or to use as a reference, I keep careful track of them. I've never had a book lost or stolen yet, so I guess just being attentive works for me.

Allanon

Explorer
All marked all with a custom stamp on either the last page or the first page of a book. I do this because it makes ID easier when I loan people my books. I marked all my books this way not just my D&D/D20 books. I own quite a substantial library and marking them combined with keeping a record on my PC has helped me track down every book I lend out to someone else.

Starman

Adventurer
I lightly pencil my initials in the front cover of any of my books that multiple people in the group have copies of. Like other people have mentioned, our books get passed around and I want to get my copy back. I really don't like doing it, though. Books are not meant to be written in!

Starman

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Bookplate in the front, and my name on an interior page as well.

The first is to prevent accidental theft, the latter to catch deliberate theft. (Which has only happpend once.)

The Auld Grump

Remove ads