Prestige Classes and Multiclass restrictions

Mercule

Adventurer
Something that was offered up to me, this weekend, as official: "Once you take a level in a PrC, you cannot return to your original class(es) at any point." This is for a 3.5 game.

Now, I'm pretty comfortable with may stance that this is absolute nonsense. But, because the pronouncement rendered me absolutely speechless (Power Word Stun?) I wanted to make absolutely sure.

What say ye? Aye or Nay? Can anyone quote any passage that proves one way or the other?

Thanks.

Lasher Dragon

First Post
From SRD:

Prestige classes offer a new form of multiclassing. Unlike the basic classes, characters must meet Requirements before they can take their first level of a prestige class. The rules for level advancement apply to this system, meaning the first step of advancement is always choosing a class. If a character does not meet the Requirements for a prestige class before that first step, that character cannot take the first level of that prestige class. Taking a prestige class does not incur the experience point penalties normally associated with multiclassing.

Just like multiclassing, yet incurs no XP penalty, and has prerequisites.

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
This may be true with some PrC's and paladins and monks, but overall, there's nothing to restrict a player from jumping from PrC to Base Class at will.

Lasher Dragon

First Post
I think even a monk can take some PrC levels and jump back into monk, can they not?

From SRD:
A monk who gains a new class or (if already multiclass) raises another class by a level may never again raise her monk level, though she retains all her monk abilities.

It specifically says "class", nothing about Prestige classes, which at least IMO are treated completely differently, at least different enough to not apply in this case.

Mercule

Adventurer
Lasher Dragon said:
I think even a monk can take some PrC levels and jump back into monk, can they not?

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the normal restrictions apply to Monk and Paladins in this case. My evidence for that, though, is pulled from 3.0 where a few of the PrCs in "Sword and Fist" specifically allowed Monk to continue as a Monk -- the implication being that other PrCs didn't.

Of course, as DM, I wouldn't force the multiclass restriction on Monk or Paladin because it's been officially stated as flavor-only.

Remove ads