systems without levels or hp's

Emiricol

Yep, Amber. Mutants & Masterminds is amazing. Ars Magica is conceptually really cool. To those, and the previously mentioned GURPS and World of Darkness, I'll add Riddle of Steel (www.theriddleofsteel.net). I've heard HeroQuest is worth checking out as well.

Yair

Community Supporter
Psion said:
Would it surprise you to know that, of my personal list of four conceptual hangups I have with hp, that's #1? :)
No. :)
But... you actually have a LIST of "conceptual hangups with hp"? Wow. I mean, I thought about it a little, but ... not so orderly :eek:

Goblyn

Explorer
Pretend.

Pretend doesn't have hit points or levels. It is, however, subject to numerous 'you're dead/no I'm not' rules debates; possibly because of this.:)

jeffh

Adventurer
die_kluge said:
I don't mind hit points, but not I'm a big fan of d20's linear hit point curve. That is where you put a 20th level guy in the guillotine, but the blade only does 10 points of damage, and he has 200 hit points, so you have to slam it down on him at least a good 20 times before his head gets cut off!

Like a lot of people who criticize hit points, you have this backwards. If he has 200 hit points and you only did 10 points of damage, that's how you know you didn't hit him in a vital spot.

Your particular example is especially unreasonable, being a perfect example of a coup de grace situation. If you use the wrong mechanics for it, of course you'll get silly results; garbage in, garbage out.

kenobi65

First Post
Patman21967 said:
You can really tell the generation gap between gamers...I used to love Traveller.

I enjoyed it, as well. Though, I think that was the only game I ever played where having your character die during character creation was a distinct possibility (and actually pretty likely if you were a Marine).

deltadave

First Post
I think my favorite levelless system for fantasy is The Riddle of Steel. combat can be a bit hard to get a handle on at first but when you do, it is lightning fast. For near future, I would say Cyberpunk 2020 and sci fi is definitely Classic Traveller.

focallength

First Post
Psion said:
Warning to onlookers: the above quoted post should be taken as a grain of salt, as it contains more than a slight bit of hyperbole, exagarations, and/or outright distortions.

That is all.

sheesh thanks Psion didnt realise I was putting my finger into a hornets nest. Yes I was exagerating (not by much though :p) .

focallength

First Post
kenobi65 said:
I enjoyed it, as well. Though, I think that was the only game I ever played where having your character die during character creation was a distinct possibility (and actually pretty likely if you were a Marine).

one of the best career paths was going to prison, man you got all kinds of cool skills and contacts. I highly recommend it, HEY kids go to prison expand your career options! (worked for Martha Stewart)

focallength

First Post
Any one know the name of the fantasy game that was based off of Arthurian Legend? Actually had rules for courting and gaining land and building your land and castles. Very in depth and quite fun.

Remove ads