Votes: 54 38.8%
  • 4th level module

Votes: 28 20.1%
  • should not be solo-dm'd in a module

Votes: 14 10.1%

• Poll closed .

Beholder Bob

First Post
Per the 'Am I a bamboozler?' thread - this is an attempt to get quick feedback so I have an answer when I see my wife tonight!

I recently convinced my dm to run me in a solo game. My character is a gestalt hex warrior – war mage of 4/4, and I was run through a 2nd level dungeon. Did I bamboozle the dm (was it a fair dungeon level to run me through, or was I too high a level)? I’m wondering, as I went through it fairly easily, but it seemed to be mostly due to a high amount of luck (I’m AC 19, not exactly untouchable, and as a war mage, I rocked when I discovered almost all my foes were of the fire type – ^ Frost Orb ^). Should I get normal exp?

By my estimation, I figured 4 level 2 characters = el 5, or equal to a 4-4 gestalt. Did I make a mistake?

The dungeon, by the way, was from an older dungeon magazine w/ roughly 12 rooms. The title mentiones fire in its name, has a magic blue door, and was the sealed in chamber of a bunch of bandits who served a guy called the fire lord. It had a magic shield that absorbs or dispels or …. fire creatures that you touch. Got it off of the innkeeper at the start.

If I erred, please let me know, I don’t want to take advantage of my dm! Of note, my dm was my wife - god help me if I've done her wrong!

B:]B

Beholder Bob

First Post
..........Holy Cr@p!

4th level module - I didn't expect anyone to choose this option! With 2 choices at this dungeon level, perhaps I should open my eyes more. Might I ask, how/why balanced at 4th? As to the 'no solo dungeon' - I assume you have an alternative suggestion for solo dm'ing another person? My guess is you are thinking that it should be with NPCs. Is this to increase survivability of the PC, to limit the treasure & exp intake, or both?

Beholder Bob

First Post
the Jester said:
Solo? I'd say 2nd-3rd level would be appropriate for a solo gestalt character.

That was my thinking. After skimming the CR ranges for typical modules, I leaned towards the 2nd level, since the absolute top CR would be 5th/6th there, vs a 6th/7th in a 3rd. I figured a lone EL 5 (4-4 gestalt) would have a poor survivability in a CR 6, and while no chance vs a CR 7 encounter (other then running faster). After the game, due to my luck, I felt like I took advantage of the DM. Then again, 2 seperate battles dropped me to single digit HP, so perhaps it wasn't too one sided. I suppose part of it was I had the resources to heal myself between battles (TGFP!), so that could be it.

the Lorax

First Post
This last Sunday, I ran a pair of 5th level characters on an adventure for 3-4 lvl characters. It was definately a side trek, that the party didn't have to investigate, but when the paladin and the ranger saw what was going on, they couldn't just ignore it. I was potentially going to be running 5 characters on the adventure of 5-6 level. Three of the characters decided to go on to town to do some research, while the other 2 stopped to investigate. The fact that only 2 of them went on the adventure made things a little more interesting, but it was intended to be a low xp, low threat, 1 session adventure - something that they encountered while going from one place to another. There is no bamboozleing, (the bamboozleing happened when the dm let you play a gestalt war mage/hexblade) in the adventure itself.

Beholder Bob

First Post
the Lorax said:
......There is no bamboozleing, (the bamboozleing happened when the dm let you play a gestalt war mage/hexblade) in the adventure itself.

Hey, I resemble that! Is your issue with gestalt in general, or the class mix itself?

Beholder Bob

First Post
Hey, you folks saying that no solo-dungen gaming should be done, care to speak out on this soapbox? I am curious - not hostile, to your view.

IronWolf

blank
I went with 2nd, but 3rd might be fine too. Solo-ing puts in a whole new dimension, if you fall unconcious because you found yourself in a poor spot there is no one to heal you or help stabalize you. Sometimes the sheer numbers could get you too, if the encounters were played smart.

I haven't read or I missed it, is your wife an experienced DM? That can make a large difference as to how difficult a module is perceived.

Remove ads