Would You Let a Limited Wish Do This?

edbonny

Explorer
What if you had a character, say a Wiz14/Ftr1/Rog1, and this 16th level character had Limited Wish. The character regrets diversifying with 3 classes and wants to change who he is with the limited wish and so...

Would you allow a limited wish where the character asks to exchange (give up) his level of fighter and ""trade it in" for another level of one of his other classes? (example - the character now becomes a Wiz15/Rog 1)?

Would you allow a limited wish where the character gives up both the Ftr and Rog character levels and starting at a lower XP level (example - the character now becomes a Wiz14)? Thus freed in a way, the 14th level character can achieve the next level of Wizard needing less XP than if he were a 16th level character.

Would you allow wish/limited wish to do any of the above?

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Yes; I would allow a limited wish to let a PC re-pick a level. There's already a psionic power (psychic reformation, 4th level) that lets you re-pick your skills and feats and powers gained in a previous level, so I'd say that a 6th level effect that lets you do the same plus pick an entirely new class is balanced. And since you can use limited wish to duplicate 6th level spells, I wouldn't have a problem at all with letting it do this.

There's always new rules coming out, and chances are that eventually some rules will come out that would have let you realize your character concept more efficiently or more entertainingly. It's much less disruptive to let a character re-work one or two levels with a limited wish than it is to deal with a cranky player or to have a player scrap a long-running character just to rebuild him the way he wants.

der_kluge

Adventurer
I might be tempted to allow it with a wish but I'm not sure I'd allow limited wish to pull that off.

I reserve wish for meta-gamey things.

Remove ads