EOM-R Scry skill question

hilander75

First Post
I have a question about the EOM-Revised Scry skill. I love the whole system and we are using it in my campaign. We have the core 3.5 spell system coexisting with EOM-R and the psionics 3.5 and so far everything was just nice until this topic arise.

Generally speaking, in both the core and psionic systems, scry seems to be difficult and limited. Taking an hour to cast, been block by lead, expensive to cast (costing XP and 7 pp for psionics) and limited to just creatures. EOM scry would seem much more relaxed and powerful, allowing to scry on places and objects beside creatures and allowing remote casting with no extra cost compared to the psionic system that requires to expend twice as much pp for the raider power(and the scry ends as soon as the raider power is manifested).

I wonder what is your opinion about this. In your own experience, have this skill been abused? Do you think it is balanced or too powerful? I have checked on other boards and seems that the designers of DnD 3.5 limited scry on purpose. Any thoughts?

Scry

Scry can be a game breaker, and TEOM does make it much easier. I have yet to see it in play, but have reservations about using as is.

Casting through a Scry does nt bother me, the skill required limits the power of any spells cast this way.

What does bother me is that you can fairly easily cause major campaign problems with a Scry/Move Force spell. I even half-drafted a Thief which used this combo to search through the target house, unlatched and moved items, then Imp Invis to waltz away with everything.

It also bothers me as a DM that the party can preview and prepare for encounters much easier, reducing the CR of those encounters. In some cases, I want them doing this.. but not all the time. A simple Globe of Seeing could be nasty.
That being said, I have used the skill to make military engagement maps, a magic item that projects an illusion of the Scry'd view from a couple 100 feet above the scroll/table.

I just started a 1st level game and look forward to seegin how it works out in play.

If I make any changes, I will make Scry a trained only skill that must be bought Cross-Class.

In hindsight, it is a bit more powerful than core scrying. I personally never understood the value of scrying until the current campaign I'm playing in, where I'm a 12th level sorcerer who tends to fire off four or five scries a day. No doubt before the end of the year we'll release a compiled version of EOM, with the benefit of a year of playtesting from everyone who bought the product.

DonTadow

First Post
I'm thinking about putting in some type of time limitations as far as divination ans crying skills gomagic goes.

Perhaps all spells of such take an hour to cast.

hilander75

First Post
DonTadow said:
I'm thinking about putting in some type of time limitations as far as divination ans crying skills gomagic goes.

Perhaps all spells of such take an hour to cast.

I already implemented such changes in my campaign to test them. I based my changes on the core rules hoping to use a similar balance factor.

-In my world you can only scry for creatures. Objects are partially covered by dowsing in the divination skill.
-Scry, when using remove viewing, takes an hour, unless you spend additional MP (1 MP decreases 20 min). The only exception to this rule is if you start the Scry centered on you and use Move Force to scout an area (like the wizard eye spell).
-The remote casting is limited similarly as in the Expanded Psionic Handbook. The raider spell costs 1.5 times more than usual.

At the beginning my wizard was a little upset, but he agreed that it can be unbalancing at times so we agreed to test them and decide if the house-rules stay or go.

Regarding Divinations, so far I haven’t had any real trouble with them. At some point I thought Dowsing was problematic, because once my players knew the type of enemy they where facing, they will start dowsing for common objects the enemy might be wearing or for particular creatures effectively having some sort of radar that will tell them kind of where the enemies were. But then I took them out of dungeons and into open places and it seems fine now.

Last edited:

DonTadow

First Post
Sounds good, I think I will implement those rules in my next rules upgrade? Do you have any house rules for Idenitfy and Resserect? I'm reading the 2nd eom book and believe I am going to make power components required for those spells.

What other strong spells do you think should require components?

hilander75

First Post
DonTadow said:
Sounds good, I think I will implement those rules in my next rules upgrade? Do you have any house rules for Idenitfy and Resserect? I'm reading the 2nd eom book and believe I am going to make power components required for those spells.

What other strong spells do you think should require components?

As far as my game is concerned, so far only Scry was a problem, the rest has worked pretty well and without balance problems. I really love this magic system!

DonTadow

First Post
I can see my game having a real problem with resserect somewhere down the line, as i got a new player in my game and her eyes lit up "you mean i can resserect anyone at any time in just 12 second... sweet".

I also have a problem with my spell caster identify items and using them right away in the middle of combat.

To this i began reading over the phb spellbook and noting things. I hate spell componenets but cost wise they balance out spellcasters (as warriors and fighters always have to repair there wears and buy new weapons, spell casters rarely have to do such things. I"m going to post in another thread my homerule changes and get the communities opinion. I lovethe magic system but spells like identify, scry and resseruct need to have limits to prevent abuse.

Thomas5251212

First Post
DonTadow said:
To this i began reading over the phb spellbook and noting things. I hate spell componenets but cost wise they balance out spellcasters (as warriors and fighters always have to repair there wears and buy new weapons, spell casters rarely have to do such things. I"m going to post in another thread my homerule changes and get the communities opinion. I lovethe magic system but spells like identify, scry and resseruct need to have limits to prevent abuse.

In practice I've rarely seen this actually be the case; most expensive, consumeable spell-casting components just end up being taken out of party funds (if they're used for a general purpose like Identifying) or paid for by the beneficiary (such as the case in Resurrection spells).

Some of the on-the-fly capability may be a bit more problematic, however, but I'm not convinced that will really matter in the field much.

Verequus

First Post
DonTadow said:
I can see my game having a real problem with resserect somewhere down the line, as i got a new player in my game and her eyes lit up "you mean i can resserect anyone at any time in just 12 second... sweet".

EoMR said:
Cure Affliction: The Heal spell cures one of the following afflictions. You can swap dice of curing to instead heal one of the following afflictions. You may choose the same affliction multiple times. For example, you could swap 5 dice of healing to heal up to 5 points of ability damage to a living creature, or heal 3 points of ability damage and cure 2d6 hit points.

If the affliction is caused by a permanent spell, the Heal spell instead functions as a Dispel Magic check. See the Craft Permanent Spell feat (page 87) for more details.

Although a strict reading wouldn't support this ruling, Revive uses also dice and being dead is pretty permanent, so making it a Craft Permanent Spell could deter players from abusing this option. Having to pay XP and to choose a feat in advance isn't that well taken, although CPS has it other uses, too.

Remove ads