WTF is "cold iron", and why's it so special?

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Publisher
As I understand it cold iron is iron, just another name for it. In LFG however I made it: Weapons forged of cold iron (the oldest and purest iron ore, mined deep and sometimes exhibiting mild ferromagnetism) are best against Demons and Undead

As a means of bypassing immunities without needing a magic weapon (and I made silvered weapons useful against lycantropes and aberrant terrors).

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
This blog post here crossed my feed today, which does not concern the science of metallurgy but the place of iron in historical superstition and lore.

gatorized

Explorer
As I understand it cold iron is iron, just another name for it. In LFG however I made it: Weapons forged of cold iron (the oldest and purest iron ore, mined deep and sometimes exhibiting mild ferromagnetism) are best against Demons and Undead

As a means of bypassing immunities without needing a magic weapon (and I made silvered weapons useful against lycantropes and aberrant terrors).

what's "lfg"?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
"Cold iron" is not about physical temperature, nor about forging.

It is about the things the fae are sensitive - emotional/spiritual/magical content, or the lack thereof, and symbolism. Iron is cold in the way that a person who lacks empathy is cold. It represents mankind's separation from the natural world, or humans taking command of their own fate in defiance of the magics of the past. Iron, and the technologies that come with it, are what allows people to no longer be subject to the whims of the world, and the whims of the fae.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases