New WotC stat block format!

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Well, Erik Mona just dropped a little bomb over on this thread. For those who don't want to go hunting for the info, here's the quote:

Erik Mona said:
I didn't get a chance to mention this in the magazine itself, the stress of getting it out being quite powerful, but the new stat block format is the new official Wizards of the Coast stat block that will debut in the DMG II.

No foolin.

Given that Dungeon #124 uses this new statblock for all the NPCs, but not for any of the listed new monsters (the example hordlings apparently count as NPCs, since they're after the main hordling entry), this probably won't be too major. Still, I wanted to post a breakdown here for anyone to view.

Name CR
Sex race class levels
Alignment size type
Init Senses (this lists senses such as darkvision, etc. It also lists bonuses for Spot and Listen, even if only from ability bonuses)
Languages
---------------------
AC (then touch, then flat-footed)
hp (then lists hit dice in parenthesis) DR (if any)
Immune Resist SR (these are listed only if there are any)
Fort Ref Will
---------------------
Speed
Melee
Ranged
Base Atk Grp
Spell-Like Abilities (if any)
Atk Options (these appear to be things that can be done in melee combat, such as Spring Attack, Cleave, improved grab, smite, etc.)
Special Atk (things such as turn undead, etc.)
Spells Prepared (prefixed by whatever caster they are, if any. It then lists the caster level, the bonus to touch spells, and then to ranged touch spells. Spells are listed in order, from highest spell level down to lowest. Any spell with a different DC has that DC listed after it in parenthesis. Domain spells have a D superscript. At the end of this are listed domains, if any.)
---------------------
Abilities (these are still just the six ability scores)
SQ
Feats
Skills
Possessions
And after that are listed the full text of any special attacks or qualities that need to be explained.

Here's an example (as best as I can put one together on the fly):

John Smith CR 1/2
Male human warrior 1
N Medium humanoid
Init +5 Senses Spot +1, Listen +1
Languages Common
---------------------
AC 13, touch 11, flat-footed 12
hp 9 (1 HD)
Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +1
---------------------
Spd 30 ft.
Melee short sword +2 (1d6+1/19-20)
Ranged light crossbow +2 (1d8/19-20)
Base Atk +1; Grp +2
---------------------
Abilities Str 12, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 11, Wis 12, Cha 12
Feats Improved Initiative
Skills Climb +5, Intimidate +5
Possessions leather armor, short sword, light crossbow with 20 bolts.

I think this will be interesting (and even helpful) once it becomes more familiar.

Last edited:

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Eh. I don't like it. Too messy. I've gotten very used to the "old" way, thank you very much.

And there are hordlings in this? Damn! I just sent a Submission offer about hordlings not two months ago, and they haven't gotten back to me. Now, I can see one reason why...

Demiurge out.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
demiurge1138 said:
And there are hordlings in this? Damn! I just sent a Submission offer about hordlings not two months ago, and they haven't gotten back to me. Now, I can see one reason why...

This issue had several new monsters. I'm going to go add them to the Dungeon index now.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Actually, now that I have the issue, I'm a bit warmer to it. I thought this was going to replace the statblocks ala Monster Manual. Nope. These are the replacement for those little nuggets within the articles. I'm fine with that.

Demiurge out.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Interesting!

For once, I think I'll open this issue when it arrives, instead of waiting until I have some spare time and an adventure to plan.

Keith Robinson

Explorer
This doesn't make sense to me. Why would you introduce a new stat block when the core rulebooks use the old one? I really dislike it when arbitrary changes like this are made, even if the new system is better than the old (which I am not saying, in this case, it is).

IMO, once you've settled on a format in the core rulebooks, it should pretty much be set in stone, unless it is fundamentally flawed, which it isn't, in this case.

Does anyone know whether WotC intend to incorporate this new system into future reprints of the core rulebooks? I'm getting cynical enough to think this. You know, a sort of D&D 3.75 ;)

Knight Otu

First Post
Interesting. I'll see how it grows on me, but when I prepared some stats for one of my games here, I did a vaguely similar thing for the stats...

Code:
3 Exp 1
S11	D13	c10
i12	w9	c8
hp 2, 6, 4
At +0 (1d6)	AC 14
Dodge, x
F+0	R+1	W+2

Pants

First Post
thekyngdoms said:
This doesn't make sense to me. Why would you introduce a new stat block when the core rulebooks use the old one?
It's just a new stat-block format, nothing major really.

In fact, hopefully this one works out a bit better. I really did not like the old way of doing statblocks in modules. Way too cluttered.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
demiurge1138 said:
Eh. I don't like it. Too messy. I've gotten very used to the "old" way, thank you very much.

same here. no way am i going back and re-editing all the CC monsters. ;)

demiurge1138 said:
And there are hordlings in this? Damn! I just sent a Submission offer about hordlings not two months ago, and they haven't gotten back to me. Now, I can see one reason why..

actually i haven't gotten a response back to anything i've sent in since february (including the mind flayer monsters submission, and a couple of queries). i suspect i'm not alone in this.

Remove ads