Dark Sun + Dune + Tattooine + Darwin's World

diaglo

Adventurer
truthfully i'd scrap d02.

use the Fast Play rulz for Alternity.

play a scavenger ship lost in space going from planet to planet to survive.

kill things and take their stuff.

ZeroGlobal2003

First Post
Interesting.

Well, here is my shot: Arakis was a beautiful tropic world before the Sith came. The planet is strong with the darkside of the force, so for many years it was a research outpost for Sith Alchemy experiments, during which time the surfice of the world was destroyed by drawing the force out of it to fule experiements. Then one of the experiments yeilding something unexpected: spice. With the chance to revolutionize space travel and gain an advantage over all their enemies, many Sith factions tried to claim control of the planet. During the insuing battles, the research facility was destroyed, releasing experiments into the vast desert sands, including the Makers, the sand worms. Now a small force of crashed jedi and the freman, a near human race with their own force traditions try and further break the hold of the Sith on Arakis, while scoundrel groups begin trying to smuggle the spice out from under the Sith.

For rules, I'd use straight Star Wars d20, add in PrCs for setting specifics, and stat up some new monsters for the alchemy experiments.

You get all the classic feel of star wars, the politics, sand, and worms of dune, the experiments and mutations of darwin's world, and failed world feel of dark sun. You'd have to set it sometime pre-old republic I think, and make sure that however the PCs dealt with it caused the permanent removal of the spice... unless you are into changing the timeline a lot more.

For an interesting twist you could set it during the rebellion, and the jedi that crashed could have been feeling the emperor, and you could have the emperor show up with his elite Sudikar Troopers (in all black). Would be a good parallel to the Dune novel.

Zero

Hmm, I don't know that Jedi are really that compatible with the others, but then again I'm a little unsure about the project.

Are you just looking for advice on how to integrate the settings into each other? Or advice on which parts of which setting are good for a desert game?

ZeroGlobal2003 said:
Well, here is my shot: Arakis was a beautiful tropic world before the Sith came. The planet is strong with the darkside of the force, so for many years it was a research outpost for Sith Alchemy experiments, during which time the surfice of the world was destroyed by drawing the force out of it to fule experiements. Then one of the experiments yeilding something unexpected: spice. With the chance to revolutionize space travel and gain an advantage over all their enemies, many Sith factions tried to claim control of the planet. During the insuing battles, the research facility was destroyed, releasing experiments into the vast desert sands, including the Makers, the sand worms. Now a small force of crashed jedi and the freman, a near human race with their own force traditions try and further break the hold of the Sith on Arakis, while scoundrel groups begin trying to smuggle the spice out from under the Sith.

For rules, I'd use straight Star Wars d20, add in PrCs for setting specifics, and stat up some new monsters for the alchemy experiments.

You get all the classic feel of star wars, the politics, sand, and worms of dune, the experiments and mutations of darwin's world, and failed world feel of dark sun. You'd have to set it sometime pre-old republic I think, and make sure that however the PCs dealt with it caused the permanent removal of the spice... unless you are into changing the timeline a lot more.

For an interesting twist you could set it during the rebellion, and the jedi that crashed could have been feeling the emperor, and you could have the emperor show up with his elite Sudikar Troopers (in all black). Would be a good parallel to the Dune novel.

Zero

If you went with something like this, where the planet is a nexus of the dark side (I think there's even a reference in one of the Zahn books to Dagobah being Yoda's home because the cave was a dark side nexus...?), then the fremen could be force "wilders" who unwittingly use the dark side of the force, or are at least in tune with it. Then they wouldn't necessarily be evil but it would be a keen plot element to reveal to any Jedi players. Also since, fremen are prone to religious fantacism, you could have jedi or sith factions trying to use their religion to gain the upper hand...?

Anyway, random ideas, but that's my $0.02.

NCUSCodeMonkey

Turanil said:
Tattooine. So it's a sci-fi red planet with many deserts, a few cities, and which is inhabited by the "scum" of the galaxy. So there are many races, few laws, and ample opoortunities for adventures. Of course, there is also Jedi knights, or at least force-users.

Dark Sun. This is a dying world, with Sorcerer-kings and a lack of water and metal. Now, because of above, lets say that the Sorcerer Kings are in fact Sith Lords, with "templars" instead of a single apprentice. Lack of metal on this planet means that it must be imported from other planets and asteroids (probably in this same system). The many horrid monsters of Dark Sun should apply very well to this setting.
The XPH seems to have particularly facilitated this. If the Soulknife and Psychic warriors aren't very close to Jedi in practice, then I don't know what is. Since Dark Sun is already heavily psionic, it seems a good fit. You could also do it with the straight Star Wars d20 rules, I suppose. I'd pull back a wee bit from Star Wars; you've essentially made this a little sub-setting within the greater Star Wars setting; I'd be more inclined to just borrow Star Warsy elements like the Sith, but take the technology level down to where the very idea of star travel was right out.

Otherwise, though -- great start.
Turanil said:
Darwin's world. Well, I am not much acquainted with this game, but I guess its ambiance would fit very well too.
Darwin's World is pretty much the same aesthetic as Gamma World. Personally I could do without it. Other than the mutations, I'm not sure what you'd want to borrow anyway, and what's the cause of all those mutations?

Other than that, a lot of those two settings seem very tongue in cheek and silly.
Turanil said:
Dune. Fremens would be cool, as well as the spice, and the Harkonens who become a house of Sith lords.
I'd do the Harkonens more like the Empire in the first Star Wars -- you know, before we had any idea about what Sith Lords really were, or what the Emperor really was. You go the impression that Vader really was unique, or at least, very unusual. Maybe that's what "Sith" lords could be doing; serving House Harkonen, which is otherwise mostly made up of regular people who belong to a ruthless bureaucratic organization that oppresses the masses, at least in the urban areas, with rebels and outsiders on the fringe of society, including perhaps a potential warrior elite of Fremen-like characters. If only someone could unite them into a single unit!

Hey, this sounds like it could be fun! Then again, it already has a lot of the same elements my own homebrew Dark•Heritage setting has, so I was probably bound to like it...

Last edited:

Emiricol

Darwin's World is not tongue in cheek. This is Joshua's bias peeking through. My own bias is to like it for being Fallout as Fallout should have been done (that's fact, not my opinion :) ). There's a ton of material to loot liberally beyond the 20 pages out of the 380 page book that happen to deal with mutations...

Do check out Joshua's Dark Heritage setting. Much of it is quite well done and the rest is easily ignored if you are just looking for ideas for your own setting.

Turanil

First Post
EricNoah said:
The Akashic from Arcana Unearthed (with some tweaks) screams "Bene Geserit" to me. Another good fit?
With some tweaks for sure. Maybe a mixture of Monk and Akashic, maybe with some sneak attack?

Remove ads