True20 system released by itself

Emiricol

Baumi said:
I like it so far, but what irritades me are the automaticly obtained skills.

Can you change the Skills later on? For example if I play a Warrior and decide later to become a Adept shouldnt you have a chance to learn one or two Knowledge Skills?

And the other Skill related problem I have is with multiclassing. If you choose Expert you automaticly get 6+ or 4+ Skills even if you take only one Level as an Expert ... so why not simply take that level? You trade only one Combatbonus or Adeptfeat for a permanent doubling or trippling of your skills, after taking one level you can easily go back to your main Class.

It doesn't really work that way. If you play a Warrior and go to Adept, you most certainly can learn new skills. Basically, skills always balance out after a few levels.

Michael Tree

First Post
Baumi said:
Can you change the Skills later on? For example if I play a Warrior and decide later to become a Adept shouldnt you have a chance to learn one or two Knowledge Skills?

And the other Skill related problem I have is with multiclassing. If you choose Expert you automaticly get 6+ or 4+ Skills even if you take only one Level as an Expert ... so why not simply take that level? You trade only one Combatbonus or Adeptfeat for a permanent doubling or trippling of your skills, after taking one level you can easily go back to your main Class.
You can't change skills, but the Skill Training feat gives you two new skills.

If you look at the starting feats, you'll notice that there are benefits to taking your first level in each role. If you take your 1st level as Warrior, you get 5 feats instead of 4 (heavy armor, light armor, weapon knowledge, and two more). If you start with 1st level adept, you can start with 4 supernatural feats, which can be very potent. If you start with expert, you gain 4 more skills, which is essentially equivalent to two feats. However, if you take 1st level in adept or warrior, and then multi-role into expert, you gain 2 skills automatically, making the 1st level expert bonus equivalent to only 1 bonus feat, the same as starting as a warrior.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Skywalker said:
W
- Dex is used for attacks, not Str.

I missed that one when I first saw the PDF....makes sense that Dex is used instead of Str...just kinda "weird" after all these OD&D/AD&D/d20 years. :)

Nomad4life

First Post
Just got the download- I’ve been waiting for a separate release of True20 since I first got BR. Sure, the system works well in a fantasy setting- but I’ve always believed that the same system would also be perfect for modern and even sci-fi settings.

It does seem like there are a few nit-picky minor things that could use more editing in the PDF, but overall, this is just what I’ve been dreaming about. Now I can get to work finishing my True20 modern/horror setting… If only I could figure out how a “sanity save” would work! :]

Last edited:

Nomad4life said:
If only I could figure out how a “sanity save” would work! :]

Check out the sanity rules from Grim Tales. They are available as a cheap pdf from rpgnow, I think. But do yourself a favor and buy the whole of Grim Tales. It's that great.

:)

Michael Tree

First Post
Sorcica said:
Seems to me though, that just as in BR, no one will wear armor at high lvls, especially now that defense gets even higher than in BR.

Would it be game-shattering to change max. dodge to max dex?
Comments very welcome.
Unless I'm reading it wrong, you still keep your total class-based defense bonus in armor. Armor only limits your "dodge bonus", which consists of your Dex bonus and bonuses from a few feats. It doesn't affect your class defense bonus. It also doesn't affect your parry bonus, which may be used more often for heavily armored melee warriors, because it relies on Str not Dex.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Michael Tree said:
Unless I'm reading it wrong, you still keep your total class-based defense bonus in armor.

The way its worded, I believe you are correct. It says "This is the maximum dodge bonus to Defense this type of armor allows."

carpedavid

First Post
Sorcica said:
Seems to me though, that just as in BR, no one will wear armor at high lvls, especially now that defense gets even higher than in BR.

The reason that you'd want to wear armor is that the Toughness save no longer improves by class level. Armor, and a couple of feats, are the only way to beef that up.

Keep in mind, too, that Defense now improves at the same rate as your "BAB," so having a super-high defense isn't as impressive as it looks initially.

Remove ads