Aasimar to Celestial to Half Celestial to What?

CrusadeDave

First Post
I'm DMing a campaign, and one of my players, who started as an Aasimar 0, has been slowly taking Druid Levels and 4 Racial Levels, to get herself up to Half Celestial Druid 14.

She want's to know what's next? I'm stumped by this.

Has anyone ever seen a progression to take someone with the Half-Celestial template "further towards the light"? The level adjustment for a Deva is +8. Would 4 more racial levels allow her to get some sort of template to mimic a Deva's abilities? Would that seem fair?

I'll ponder this, and then try out a progression...

CrusadeDave

First Post
Okay, here's my thought

A Four level Progression for Deva.

Prerequisite one is already a Half Celestial and has 12 HD.

All spell like abilities cast at HD level with Charisma to modify the saves.

Level 1:
NA Set to +4 Natural Form (Was +1)
Discern Lies@Will
Protection Evil@Will
Remove Fear@Will
Bless@Will
Aid@Will
DetectEvil@Will
Fire Resistance 10

Level 2:
NA Set to +8 Natural Form (Was +4)
Holy Smite@Will
Remove Disease@Will
Dispel Evil@Will
Plane Shift 1/day
Polymorph Self 1/day
Invisibility Self 1/day
See Invisiblity 1/day
Dispel Magic 1/day
+2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Int

Level 3
NA Set to +12 Natural Form (Was +8)
Dispel Magic@Will
Stun (If hit opponent 2 in one run, must make fort save or be stunned)-> Standard Deva ability.
Uncanny Dodge
Immunity Acid, Cold, Petrification
DR 10/evil
+2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Int, +2 Cha

Level 4
NA Set to +15 Natural Form (Was +12)
Holy Word@Will
Plane Shift@Will
Holy Aura@Will
Polymorph Self@Will
See Invisibility 7/day
Cure Light Wounds 7/day
Blade Barrier 1/day
Heal 1/day
+2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Int, +2 Wis, +2 Cha.

Thoughts?

IcyCool

First Post
CrusadeDave said:
A Four level Progression for Deva.

Prerequisite one is already a Half Celestial and has 12 HD.

Well, consider this.

The end result of your progression (assuming the half-celestial druid above) will leave you with an Astral Deva Druid 14 at ECL 22 (With no Racial Hit Dice). If you were to play an Astral Deva and gain 14 druid levels, your ECL would be 34.

CrusadeDave

First Post
IcyCool said:
Well, consider this.

The end result of your progression (assuming the half-celestial druid above) will leave you with an Astral Deva Druid 14 at ECL 22 (With no Racial Hit Dice). If you were to play an Astral Deva and gain 14 druid levels, your ECL would be 34.

Quite true, but she's already a Half Celstial Druid 14 at ECL 18 with no Racial Outsider dice. If I remember correctly, there's a Deva progression in Savage Species, but it just seems to me that already having the Half-Celestial Template gets you a good ways there already, so why take the Outsider HD?

Maybe 4 racial levels is too few. Do you think any of those level progressions is too much? How would you do it?

IcyCool

First Post
CrusadeDave said:
it just seems to me that already having the Half-Celestial Template gets you a good ways there already, so why take the Outsider HD?

Because Druid levels are infinitely superior to Racial Hit Dice. Most class levels are better than Racial Hit Dice as well (depending on the race, Dragons are a notable exception).

CrusadeDave

First Post
Okay but....

IcyCool said:
Because Druid levels are infinitely superior to Racial Hit Dice. Most class levels are better than Racial Hit Dice as well (depending on the race, Dragons are a notable exception).

The differences between a Dragon Hit Die, and an Outsider Hit die are a d12 for the outsiders d8, and 2 extra skill points for the Outsider.

Regardless, what do you think is a better number than 4 to get from Half Celestial to Deva, without Outsider Hitdie. 5? 6? 8?

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
IcyCool said:

Druid levels are better than Fey HD, but (for a character with a caster level so low compared to his ECL) probably no better than Outsider HD (full base attack, all good saves).

IcyCool

First Post
CRGreathouse said:
Druid levels are better than Fey HD, but (for a character with a caster level so low compared to his ECL) probably no better than Outsider HD (full base attack, all good saves).

Ah, hadn't looked at the Outsider levels, thanks for the correction.

In that case, you could probably stick with the +4 ECL, maybe bump it to +5. The druid would certainly be a "unique" Deva.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases