D&D 2E Help me design a Midnight 2e channeler

Chiaroscuro23

First Post
So I played a Midnight 1e game the other year. My character was a wood elf dragon-blooded intelligence-based channeler. We went through Crown of Shadow. Now that M2E is out, the DM wants to start the game up again, converting to 3.5 and M2E. He's told us to take free reign in redesigning our characters to account for the rules changes.

I strongly suspect that my original design is underpowered under the new rules. I focused on Transmutation at first, getting animal buffs, haste, slow, fly, etc. Also some Illusion for invisitibility and color spray, and lesser conjuration for healing and Mage Armor. But focused on Transmutation. But in 3.5 the animal buffs suck (short duration since you're supposed to use magic items for long-term buffs. Because my Midnight character has so many Belts of Giant strength.) And Haste isn't so good. I got 5 levels in chaneller under my belt before multiclassing into the Wizard PrC up to 8th. I get another level for the 2 years of game time that have passed, so I'm looking at Chn 6/ Wiz 3, probably.

The game ended just when I got Greater Evocation. I have yet to cast my first Magic Missile, but I invested heavily for the possibility of doing so. Now evocations will be EVEN HARDER, just after I finally got the ability to do them. So I'm thinking thinking maybe I should move away from my current build with the redesign. What I'd like from you guys are suggestions for making my character more effective. A few last points about this DM to consider:

1) perhaps because Crown of Shadow was such a railroad, I feel that skills are kind of useless in this game (if PCs are supposed to be fooled by an NPC, Sense Motive doesn't help. If they're to be found, Hide doesn't help. If they're to ally with an NPC, no Diplomacy is necessary.)

2) The DM almost always hits on attack rolls, and always saves on incapacitating spells (like Slow or Color Spray), so I feel like only straight-damage spells or damage-boosting buffs are worth my time. Though I still haven't given up on defensive spells. (And, fortunately, the diamonds needed for Stoneskin are much cheaper in Midnight.)

3) The PCs have excellent stats due to the extreme chargen method. I think I'm STR 12, DEX 18, CON 16, INT 18, WIS 12, CHA 9, for example. My niches in the party go: 1) spellcaster 2) archer 3) ambulatory healing potion (uh, that is, cleric-substitute, but without armor or domain spells.) I think of the character as a combination Legolas/Dr. Strange, who flips out and shoots people between the eyes. And like everyone else in Midnight, his parents were killed by orcs.

Thanks guys, I look forward to reading your suggestions.

Cheers,
C.

Last edited:

Emiricol

Your problems may not be something you can fix with your current DM. Based solely on this one post, I'd probably be looking for a new DM personally.

But if you must keep this DM, make a combat monster and let the DM know this is an attempt to make a PC that fits his DM style. Then if he starts asking for Knowledge: Engineering rolls, throw a Mountain Dew at his head (not really).

Chiaroscuro23

First Post
Emiricol said:
Your problems may not be something you can fix with your current DM. Based solely on this one post, I'd probably be looking for a new DM personally.

But if you must keep this DM, make a combat monster and let the DM know this is an attempt to make a PC that fits his DM style. Then if he starts asking for Knowledge: Engineering rolls, throw a Mountain Dew at his head (not really).

The DM is a close friend, and he assures us that there will be less railroading now that we're done with the pre-written adventure. I have high hopes for the game. Mostly I'm interested in getting the most use out of the character in the face of the new rules.

I appreciate the spirit of your post--This is a social contract situation where we need to agree on how a game should be run, not a rules issue--but I really want to play in this game and think our social contract is okay. I also think skills might be more useful in this second campaign. As to rolling well all the time, my perception may be skewed. Nonetheless, I'd like to stay away from save-or-die spells.

So, any rules suggestions as far as schools, spells, or feats I should take?

-C.

Bobitron

Explorer
Chiaroscuro23 said:
And like everyone else in Midnight, his parents were killed by orcs.

Hahaha, nice line. I will admit that I poked in just to comment on your Orc-kill induced motivation. Best of luck!

Remove ads