Need Violence! 24 Hour RPGs (Now available for download!)

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
There's been this cool thing for a few years now called the 24 hour RPG project, started by Phil Reed, if I read the history correctly. I first learned about it through Phil's "vs. Monsters", which he wrote for the first 24 hour RPG challenge.

The goal is to design, write, layout and do EVERYTHING for an RPG in 24 hours - aiming for 24 pages of material.

I'm finally trying tonight.

I lost my job today, and need to get some bile and vitriol out of my system, so I'm going to write something violent, and probably gory. The summer heat has a lot to do with it also, something violent builds up in me when things are nasty hot, something dark and bile-filled... and hopefully I can let it out tonight.

That's all I know right now... haven't even considered whether it will be modern, sci-fi or fantasy. Just bloody violent.

I'm starting tonight at 9 pm, and finishing tomorrow at 9 pm, and will post the results to www.24hourRPG.com and http://www.1km1kt.net/24hourrpg/

Should be fun... or at least cathartic.

Wish me luck, folks!

Last edited:

BSF

Explorer
Cripes! Sorry to hear about your job.

Well good luck with the 24hour RPG. I've seen references to it before. But I am not anything near a game designer so I would have no idea where to start.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
HellHound said:
There's been this cool thing for a few years now called the 24 hour RPG project, started by Phil Reed, if I read the history correctly. I first learned about it through Phil's "vs. Monsters", which he wrote for the first 24 hour RPG challenge.

Yep. That's me. :) It was inspired by the 24 hour comic concept. vs. Monsters was a crazy, crazy day of fun that actually turned out well. Even though I've since gone on to create a commercial version I've left the original version out there for free.

HellHound said:
I lost my job today, and need to get some bile and vitriol out of my system, so I'm going to write something violent, and probably gory. The summer heat has a lot to do with it also, something violent builds up in me when things are nasty hot, something dark and bile-filled... and hopefully I can let it out tonight.

Ouch. Sorry to hear it. Good luck finding a new job quickly. And good luck with your game!

Jake, once you recover from your catharsis, IM me and let me know any way I can help, okay? I know E.N. Publishing is a pittance when it comes to supporting a family, but hopefully we can stave off some of the worries in the meanwhile.

My suggestion: Don't read the boards for 24 hours. *pained smile*

But if you do swing by, might I encourage throwing dice at the DM as a valid game mechanic?

HellHound

I'm back on the layout gig for the ENnies fundraiser now, with the carnage out of my system.

The game proper is ... so-so. You can tell that my anger burned out about a third of the way through, and it goes from colloquially (and violently) describing scenes of carnage to typical RPG manual language.

That said, I'm particularly proud of the layout of the game and the record sheet, and will definitely link to it once it has been uploaded to the 24 hour RPG site.

Phil:

I haven't seen an entry from you so far this year. I'm also curious if you ever did anything with last year's attempt, Rob Bot and his Robotic Buds. I really like the layout and the tone of the documentand think you were going the right way with this one, but obviously life got in the way of completion.

HellHound

Until it does go live at the 24 hour rpgs storage site, here's some screen images of the layout that I love so much.

Cover, Page 14 and 15 interior layout, character sheet.

Attachments

• AssassinX01 copy.jpg
    AssassinX01 copy.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 146
  • AssassinX14 copy.jpg
    AssassinX14 copy.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 155
  • AssassinX15 copy.jpg
    AssassinX15 copy.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 128
  • AssassinXsheet copy.jpg
    AssassinXsheet copy.jpg