What does a 17th lvl Cleric want?

Gumby

First Post
(Go ahead and read it, you guys!)

I'm running RttToEE for my group, and one of the characters has just died in the Outer Fane. As this character has already died once, the group firmly wants to get a True Resurrection done on him this time around, so he won't lose a level.

I decided there aren't any clerics of high-enough level anywhere nearby, so they're going off to Greyhawk to get a high-ranking Cleric of Pelor to do the deed. I've decided that any cleric that'll decide to do a TR will want his customers to perform a quest of some sort, done either before or after the spell is cast.

So, do any of you have an idea as to what he'd demand? It'd be something a group of 11th-ish characters could perform, and as my players belong to the "If it's evil or at least squints at you funny, kill it and take its stuff" school of RPG gameplay, they'd probably appreciate something along those lines. I've already done a "Go clear out the Thieves' Guild" side-quest, so I don't want to do that.

Thanks in advance.

Numion

First Post
"You shall go on a quest for .... GOLD! Each of you shall bring me 10k preferably in Platinum to my next service, and then your friend shall be resurrected."

Lord Pendragon

First Post

The priest looks at the adventurers with a measuring gaze. "My children, you have come for me with quite a request!"

"Please father," one of them says, "our dear friend may have passed beyond, but he has tasks yet to accomplish."

The priest still looks unconvinced. "You are asking for the intercession of Heironeous Himself. When I pray to Him for this miracle, what shall I tell him? What reason can I give Him to agree to do this thing?"

The party look at each other. "Ummm...."

"Of course, there is something..."

"Yes, yes...?"

"Well," the priest's face grows grave. "Thousands of years ago, this Temple you see here was not the main temple of Heironeous."

"It wasn't?"

The priest shakes his head. "No, there was another, grander temple, up north at the foot of the mountains. According to the records of those days, it was a grand sight, some five levels high, with roof made entirely of quartz."

"What happened to it?"

"It was betrayed, and destroyed by evil. Its remains lie somewhere up in the mountains, lost to the faithful. Indeed, according to the journal of one of the priests of the time, evil may well reside there still." The priest gives the party a level look. "Yes, even now there is evil in the halls of Heironeous' greatest temple."

"What a horrible ending to the story!" says one party member.

"Ah," the priest says with a sly look on his face. "But the story is not over yet."

"It isn't?"

"No. You see, that's where you come in. If you desire to have your friend restored to you, journey to the lost Temple of Heironeous and reclaim it for His faithful. Should you manage to complete this task, I shall pray to the God for what you ask. Should you manage to complete this task, the God will surely answer your request."

"But..."

"Go now. And return with the last taint of evil has been scoured from the old temple's walls!"

Vampires, Wraiths, Wights, and maybe even a lich (the one who betrayed the temple.) I think if your party gets through all that, they deserve a True Resurrection! :D

Last edited:

Rashak Mani

First Post
Quest ! Not financial Quest !! :)

I would suggest along the "Clear a tribe of Orcs from so and so"... or Capture Renegade Priest and Assassin "So and So"

Basically line em up from your next adventure...

Zappo

Explorer
I had about the same thing happen lately. A character died and desired a True Resurrection. The character is a psion in a Dragonlance campaign - a rather unique being. So, the priesthood that raised him told him that he had to take with him from then on an apprentice and teach her to use psionics. And should something bad happen to the apprentice, the character will die again. It will be interesting to see the psion having to protect at all costs a very low level character...

Altalazar

First Post
No no no no NO!

You are going about it backwards. If you are going to be a hardy adventurer, you need to invest in Cleric Futures!

At 1st level, you find out where all the 17th level clerics are. Then you start wooing one or more of them by always dedicating your service - evil-killing, or whatever, to that cleric and his or her temple. You give them a portion of your booty, you even occasionaly do direct service for them when asked. So then when you finally get your ass into the RttToEE and killed, when you go ask for that True Ressurection, the cleric doesn't ask you 'what will you do for it', the cleric will instead ask 'how many, and would you like fries with that?'

Wolfspider

Explorer
Um...isn't just being willing to return to the Temple of Elemental evil to combat the forces of darkness enough? If it's the kind of meat-grinder that I've heard, then the cleric would recognize that this in itself was a worthy payment.

Along with lots of gold, of course. :D

Moe Ronalds

First Post
Maybe he wants them to get him a young girlfriend to give him a little morale boost. and when they go to the villag where all the women are, they find out they've been stolen by a group of mind flayers working for some kind of powerful perverted demon guy thingy. then they get to kill stuff, they get their friend back on his feet, the men in the village will probably pay them for their help, and if not, then they've each got a new girlfriend. :D

Holy Bovine

First Post
I really like what Pendragon worte above. An excellent epic-style quest that would indeed make the party worthy of a True Ressurection spell.

But...

It does leave the player whose character has been killed kind of out in the cold doesn't it?How many sessions will he have to miss before returning? IMC the high-level cleric the party has befriended usually raises the deceased first then has them perform the quest (he has little fear they won't follow through as there is both a cleric of his god and a paladin in the group). If the cleric in your campagin feels there would a risk that the party would not keep their end of the bargin - there are always Quest/Geas spells that they would have to agreed to voluntarily fail the save on.

Failing that there is also Summon Planer Ally....;)

Remove ads