The World is coming to an end - help me make it happen.

nowhereguy

First Post
I have been gearing my campaign world to a sort of apocalypse. I have prophesied the end of the world and need a creature to help make it happen. The idea is that a creature will rise from under the earth to lay waste to all civilization. My original thought was to use the Tarresque, but the more I've develped this plot, the less I think it fits.

One NPC has told the PC's about it in vague terms (he was shell-shocked). This scene looked somewhat like Sauron wading through the elves and men in the LOTR prologue.

The characters are all 20th level and will face a series of challenges to stop this rampaging killing machine, eventually they will barely succeed, but not before significant damage is done.

Any Ideas would be appreciated, either for a creature, or for a scenario to challenge the PC's. The PC's have just arrived at a major city where they are preparing to confront this killing machine. Civilians are being evacuated to the capital and the army is massing. Ballistas, Trebuchets, and catapults are being erected to try to slow down the destroyer.

And, no, the Sta-Puft marshmallow man is not an option.

Thanks.

JimAde

First Post
How about an enormous, amorphous, tentacled, cyclopean horror? I picture something floating dozens or hundres of feet off the ground, laying waste in all directions, and surrounded by a violent mile-wide storm that rains down choking, sulphurous death and random magical blights.

Like that. :)

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
JimAde said:
How about an enormous, amorphous, tentacled, cyclopean horror? I picture something floating dozens or hundres of feet off the ground, laying waste in all directions, and surrounded by a violent mile-wide storm that rains down choking, sulphurous death and random magical blights.

Like that. :)

That sounds good to me. But make it a dozen and expand the storm by a few more miles. :)

Bigger!

I like JimAde's idea, but since the army is massing with seige weapons, why not make it really interesting tie that in. Ballistas, trebuchet and catapults all either hurl rocks, flaming pitch, really big spears, etc. at their targets - so I would imagine either a tarrasque (been done) or a really big metal monster of some sort - impervious to fire, rocks (they bounce off), spears, (same result). Maybe a collosal iron golem or some sort of steel elemental. One things my players almost cornered me on once was why did they always have to save the day when there are armies lying around pulling paychecks? (A good question if you think about it?)
You might even play it up that the mayor, govenor, king, general (whatever NPC is in charge) of this town tells the PCs that "they aren't needed and that they should stay out of the way", or even invite them to see the destruction of said monster at hand. Of course when the battle goes south, it gives the character's a bit more reason to help when the overbearing, pompous NPC then has to say, "About that offer to slay this thing..."

Just a thought. Hope this helps, happy gaming.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
If you want to destroy the planet there is only one creature right for the job...

71eec800.jpg

Last edited:

Ibram

First Post
A juiced up dragon would do the trick... Half-Fiend great wyrm makes for a nice kick in the teeth.

You could also go with some sort of elemental... perhapse a void elemental, or an elemental made up from all four elements.

You could also go for something a bit more unusual then just a smash-crush-kill creature... perhapse some kind of celestial (normal armies are useless because they just end up following the celestial)

or a daemonic entity that posesses all those who cannot resist its power, like above armies sent against it just end up working for it.

Remove ads