Dragon #335: Wow. It was relevant!

Steel_Wind

Legend
I recall posting about five months ago a thread here exhorting Erik Mona and Co. to do *something* to rescue Dragon – to make it relevant for me again. (Search for “Is Dragon even Relevant Anymore?” for the blow-by-blow.)

At the time, I proposed that Dragon feature one adventure per issue – as that at least would make it relevant for me.

Erik showed up and listened. After several posts in support of my rant and a lot of posts by those who took my own post as a unmeritorious attack on them, Erik posted and demurred, suggesting there were other ways to make Dragon “relevant” that fell short of taking the step of publishing an adventure. At the time I said I’d keep an open mind and see which direction he’d take the magazine.

Well, since that time, Dragon has started to publish “Worm Food”, a companion piece in Dragon that is intended to be useful for players involved in the Age of Worms Adventure Path currently underway in Dungeon. This instantly made the magazine relevant to me (or at least, a small part thereof) and I resolved to buy it regularly (and even subscribe).

When issue #335 showed up on the newsstand today, I picked it up without even flipping through the pages. I had gone into the store for the purpose of buying it (my subscription has not yet started).

Not only was there a “Worm Food” article as promised (not the strongest one so far, but still, appreciated) but I saw that Paizo had become far more clever than that.

In addition to the Worm Food article on potential cohorts in the Age of Worms, issue #335 featured an Ecology of the Lizardfolk – the very villains the party must face in Blackwall Keep in this month’s Age of Worms adventure. Not stopping there, Bazaar of the Bizarre featured three pages of “swampy” themed magic items.

So, all told, there were 12-13 pages of highly relevant and usable material for me in Dragon. To top it off, First Watch seems to have been expanded and I enjoyed that too.

True, there was a lengthy article on Waterdeep that is not really my thing – but it surely is someone else’s here at ENworld, so I can live with that. An interview with Ed Greenwood was interesting so that gets a passing grade. There was an article on bard spells in the Realms that was cool enough – I might use some of those here and there. The remaining snippets, a Charlatan character class, a fiction piece and the various Class Acts are not greatly to my taste – but that’s not to say I might not ever use them – and the rest of the magazine more than made up for the parts that I did not find quite so tasty.

When it comes down to it, for *me*, I don’t need an entire issue of immediately relevant material to make me happy. I just need a few somethings and I’m content.

Given the Worm Food, Magic Items and Ecology articles – this issue of Dragon delivered on the “somethings” very nicely.

So Erik: I take it back. There is a way to make Dragon relevant without a radical departure. Publishing articles in Dragon which are relevant to the ongoing adventure path in Dungeon on the sly worked brilliantly.

Big Thumbs Up!

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
I really didn't find anything useful, except the lizardman article. I have no interest in the Forgotten Realms, though I know there are many who do. I was just thrilled the issue actually arrived in my mailbox this time, unlike so many other issues that never came until I called to complain.

So I offer thanks to Erik and Company for listening to my gripes and assuring my copy arrived on time. I can't wait till next month; undead undead undead!

Henry

Autoexreginated
Ironically, I've quit buying Dragon lately, because the most recent three issues haven't had anything that interested me at first glance. However, I also know that everything happens in cycles, and it will cycle around again to something I want to buy. :)

Glad you're enjoying it, Steel Wind!

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
While I applaud Erik for all his good work helming "Dungeon" and "Dragon", I'm still finding Dragon to be less than relevant, at least for me. There's the occasionhal article that interests me, but, overall, it's not worth the $7 a month when I alraedy have so many other things I want to pick up.

And the splashy titles? ("You, too, can play an Evil Dragon! Introducing Gunpowder to your campaign! Am I drunk yet? Booze in D+D!) Yeah, I can do without those.

Granted, other than being a D+D player, I get the impression that I'm not really the target demographic for the magazine.

"Dungeon", on the other hand, I've never enjoyed more, even to the point of picking up a subscription, as well as the "Shackled City" hardback. As an example, "Box of Flumph" *(from 118) is one of the most enjoyable and memorable adventures I've seen in Dungeon in ages, ranking up there with some of the classics from the early run of the magazine. And I'm completely digging the "Age of Worms" adventure path.

Last edited:

Arnwyn

First Post
Steel_Wind said:
True, there was a lengthy article on Waterdeep that is not really my thing – but it surely is someone else’s here at ENworld,
Yup, that's me. The return of Ed Greenwood/FR material is the main reason why I just recently re-subscribed.

The main reasons, in order:
1) Ed Greenwood & FR material
2) Demonomicon articles
3) Age of Worms tie-in

shaylon

First Post
I am a big Paizo fan, so I might be biased, but I have to say they make some great products! Dragon and Dungeon are staples, IMO. Although it isn't every month that I use something I do reference back issues quite often.

The Shackled City book is great! I am really looking forward to the Best of Dragon as well as the one-shot adventures they will be publishing soon.

Erik has done a fantastic job and after meeting and speaking with him a bit at Origins and GenCon I would say his success couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. He seems like he genuinely cares about content for his magazines which unfortunately seems to have become a rarity in magazines these days. He talks passionately about what he does, because he loves his job, how many people do you know like that?

Great work Erik, you've made both magazines worth subscribing to.

-Shay

I was buying every issue, until the the last couple of issues which have too much forgotten realms material. This better be a short wave of FR stuff, otherwise I'll lose interest.

Henrix

Explorer
Incidentally, what is the Worm Food article in #335 about?

That said, the last few issues before that were quite good. Not as good as Dungeon, but good. I really liked the Demonomicon entries.

devilbat

First Post
In addition to the Worm Food article on potential cohorts in the Age of Worms, issue #335 featured an Ecology of the Lizardfolk – the very villains the party must face in Blackwall Keep in this month’s Age of Worms adventure. Not stopping there, Bazaar of the Bizarre featured three pages of “swampy” themed magic items.

So you're saying that the latest issue of Dragon is relevent to you because you are running Paizo's latest release. Paizo has always flogged/supported Wizards latest releases with companion articles. The only thing that's changed is this time they're supporting their own book. Nothing else has changed.

Not that it's a problem. I'm perfectly happy with the direction of Dragon.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Henrix said:
Incidentally, what is the Worm Food article in #335 about?

It was a three page article outlining three NPCs who are present in Diamond Lake and are available as a cohort to any PC who takes leaderhip at 6th level (which is about the level the PC will be in the current arc). It is suggested these NPCs be introduced reasonably early on to the party in their adventures so that there is some relationship building going on before *bling* cohort status magically appears in a "puff of feat taking" at 6th level.

The NPCs are:

Gar Blitzhame (Male Dwarf Fighter 2/ Wizard 2 (transmuter) )

Daejin Moon (Half-elf Ranger 4)

Tassilo Viniese
(Male Human Cleric (Heironeous) 4)

The descriptions include basic hooks, outlook, kit and stat block.

My fave so far is the mining office, which has proved an interesting add-on to my campaign in terms of role-playing and story development as well as providing a backdrop for a brief adventure.

Remove ads