flood trouble

alsih2o

First Post
has anyone had any big success with giving the characters a flood to deal with?

i have come up with a few good ideas, but am always willing to lean on you folks.

besides the obvious death and disease part-

perhaps some odd monsters only breed during the flood.

lotsa corpses being exhumed by floatation and erosion make it a great opportunity for local evil guys to cause commotion.

suddenly, small boats are worth a small fortune.

all those silly gnomes and their burrows.

anyone with a spare 2 coppers?

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I used them.

There are two types of floods, seasonal and flash. Seasonal happens every year and is expected. Flash is really an uncommon event and cannot be predicted.

People prepare for seasonal floods, building on high ground, or stilts, moving herds to different areas and so on. Some animals use it for breeding, others hunting. In a game I had going, lizardmen would raid at this time of year.

Flash floods are dangerous. Something people do not think of is that you lose landmarks in a flood, resulting in a greater chance of becoming lost. Flood waters can move fast, carrying items away and are not easily swam in.

Thing to think about...Snakes, mud, fresh water, and food. See a lot of snakes in a flood, if you have gaint snakes in your game, well :). Mud is really an after effect, covers everything and effects movement. Fresh water, if you do not put it up or boil it, you are going to be ill. Food, normally it goes bad when it gets wet.

Cyclops

First Post
I used a flood once, but only as a plot device.
The PCs woke up in town. Rains had flooded the first 10 feet. No other people are in town. the waters keep rising. PCs are forced to build a raft. Now they are adrift in a vast ocean...
and they wash up on the shore of...RAVENLOFT!

(my players see a fog, they try to flee! No! Not Ravenloft!)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases