How many rest periods per level?

Borlon

First Post
This is kinda along the same lines as the other post (How fast do your characters advance in level? But rather than sessions, I am curious how often parties rest between levels.

Theoretically there are about 4 moderate encounters per day (between rests) and 13 such encounters before levelling up. So that should be 3 or 4 rest periods. People might have fewer, bigger encounters, but that should make them level faster, and the number of rests should stay the same.

So what are people's experiences? When I find what the usual range of responses is, I might post a poll.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Wouldn't it really depend on the adventure?

If the adventure is a monthlong dangerous trek across the desert, then I would expect 30 rest periods. If the adventure all takes place during one night then I would expect none.

DS

Borlon

First Post
Hmmm. Good point. I was thinking of how many times the party spellcaster(s) say:"Hey guys, we gotta stop. I'm out of spells." There might be 30 rests in a desert trek, but the spellcasters wouldn't be having to recharge.

I guess I should say "how many times do the spellcasters have to recharge between levels?" instead of "how many rest periods are there?"

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Wow there is no way I have and set # of rest periods.
The last session was fighting of hordes of normal skeletons and zombies, with slightly stronger undead thrown in as relief. The party spent 10 days trying to hold ground long enough to solve puzzles (each took an hour IC) Brief periods of activity followed by retreates to recover ability damage. It would have gone faster had the druid player shown up. In a 7th level party the back up healer has 2 levels of cleric, and nearly exausted his wand of CLW.

the previous 2 sessions covered 4 days, with a month of game time passing before they hit the undead.

over 3 sessions all survivors leveled.

shilsen

Adventurer
I'm runing 2 Eberron games, both mostly set in the city of Sharn and with next to no dungeon-crawling. So there are almost never situations where the PCs go, "Okay, we need to stop now and rest." In one game, which is at 9 sessions, I think that's happened once. In the other, which is at 20 sessions, I don't think it's ever happened.

EdL

First Post
It entirely depends on the adventure. Some sessions our characters will go for days with only normal rest periods at night. Others we'll only go an hour of in game time before all spellcasters are desperate to recharge.

No idea. At lower levels the casters were stingy with their spells so they ran dry about the same time the fighters were running low on HPs. At mid levels the casters may be low on spells while the fighters are still strong but they've kept one or two whammies in reserve. At high levels things are meatgrinders with everyone staying on their feet way longer than I would have expected.

I've only had one or two cases of "Blue Wizard Needs Rest Badly" and those have universally been when the group is pushing itself harder than I expected. It usually worked for them, though, since a ropetrick is a great place to hide behind enemy lines.

IronWolf

blank
It varies a lot with what we are facing in the adventure as to how many rest periods there are. If we are facing tough encounters we are apt to rest more often. It also depends on whether the encounters are combat related or not of course. And the supply of wands in the wizards hands also makes a huge difference.

Borlon

First Post
I was wondering how often spellcasters have to recharge between level ups. But it sounds like there are too many other things that will use up time and provide them breathing room.

Remove ads