Boardgames more popular than videogames?

JoeGKushner

First Post
Well, for those interested, Toys R Us is still doing the buy one Hasbro, Parker Brothers thing, get another one free, and that does cover Risk, Axis & Allies, Heroscope (just picked up the terrain and giant figures myself) and some other goods.

Agback

Explorer
diaglo said:
Monopoly is a board game. So is Trivial Pursuit.

what do you consider Scrabble?
or Pictionary?
or Checkers/Draughts?
or Chess?
or Backgammon?

Or Go. I think about half a billion people play Go. In Japan, Korea, and China they have newspapers that report Go games.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Kumaiti said:
ROBO RALLY ????
Oh boy !! since I heard about this game something like 10 years ago I always wanted to play it but I could NEVER find it in any shop...
Do yourself a favor and go get it. I've yet to meet anyone who doesn't like RoboRally.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
DonTadow said:
Six months... try 5 days. In six months the sequal will be out. Video games have become to follow into hte movie rutt. A number of the aren't as innovative as they used to be. I will admit though they are the bigger industry because of this. The games are shorter and somewhat less challenging so that consumers will have a sense of gratification and be eager to buy the sequal or the clone.

Yeah right. Any game that I enjoy usually doesn't have a sequel for years. Following Age of Mythology is Age of Empires III which still hasn't come out yet and AoM was released a few years ago.
Civilization IV is comming out very soon but Civilization III was made a number of years ago (granted CivIII had a ton of expansions but I only bothered to buy 1, The Conquerors).
Heroes of Might and Magic V is being worked on right now and HoMMIV came out a while ago.
The new Legend of Zelda game for game cube won't be out for 6 months and the last Zelda game for the cube came out a couple years ago.
And lord knows when they're going to come out with a sequel to Star Craft (Ghost doesn't count.)

Maybe I'm just picky with the games I play.

I love board games (me and a friend play Axis and Allies weekly) but there is one problem with them, just like D&D you need to get a bunch of people together to play (we're trying to get more people for A&A but it's difficult) which can be difficult. In general I've probably spent more hours playing Civilization III then Axis and Allies and Chess put together in the last year (which are the two board games I play the most).

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
Just a quick note, that FFG's edition of Arkham Horror is in fact a reprint, and not a new game. It was first published by Chaosium in 1987 or so.

Yup, 'tis true.
I own the original, and I still signed up for the updated version, and FFG did a FANTASTIC job with it. (Though the rulebook could use some editing/re-organizing: parts of it are as clear as mud.) Actually, I don't think I've been disappointed with ANY of FFGs games.

The proliferation of high cost board games is increasing, too, though. (Much like the RPG community, and, to a lesser extnet, the video-gaming industry.)

On the shelves right now at my FLGS, most of the games are priced at $50 and below, though there are quite a few higher-priced games on the shelf too, and they're still selling. (War of the RIng, Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition, Civilization, and Descent... (Well, Descnet isn't out yet, but the SRP is around $80 or so.)

I love board games (me and a friend play Axis and Allies weekly) but there is one problem with them, just like D&D you need to get a bunch of people together to play (we're trying to get more people for A&A but it's difficult) which can be difficult. In general I've probably spent more hours playing Civilization III then Axis and Allies and Chess put together in the last year (which are the two board games I play the most).

If you have a FLGS around, try asking there: you'd be surprised how many people out there are lloking for fellow gamers!!

Remove ads