Castlevania Critters...

Magus Darkholme

First Post
While re-organizing my room the other day, I came across the old Playstation game Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, which is considered one of the best, if not the best, games in the entire series. I took a break and sat down to start a new quest, and about a half hour into it, I thought that some of these monsters would be excellent for D&D :D . So, over the course of the next few weeks, I plan on "converting" if you will some of these monsters over to be used in a 3E D&D game.
Right now all I got done is the dhuron (the headless, sword-wielding skeleton that is cradling its head in its arm), but I plan on doing stats for a bunch more, including everyones favorite, the flying medusa head :D . I also plan on writing up NPC stats for Alucard, Dracula, and Simon and Richter Belmont.
Well, enough babbling, here's the first one, dhuron ;) .

DHURON
Medium undead
Hit dice: 5d12 (33hp)
Initiative: +2 (dex)
Speed: 30ft
AC: 17 (+2dex, +2natural, +3hide armor)
Attacks: Rapier +5 melee, or claw +5 melee
Damage: Rapier 1d6+3+electrical charge (see below), claw 1d4+3+electrical charge (see below)
Face/reach: 5ft by 5ft/5ft
Special attacks: Electricity charge
Special qualities: Undead traits, immunities, turn resistance +2
Saves: Fort+1, ref+3, will+5
Abilities: Str 16, dex 14, con ---, int 10, wis 12, cha 8
Skills: Hide+6, move silently+7, spot+11, listen+11, search+7
Feats: Alertness, combat reflexes
Climate/terrain: Any land and underground
Organization: Solitary, pair, or troupe (3-6)
Challenge rating: 3
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Neutral evil
Advancement: 6-15HD (medium-sized)

A dhuron is a special form of undead that is created when a criminal is beheaded. They stalk the land, searching for living victims to slaughter mercilessly.
A dhuron looks like a headless skeleton, with yellow colored bones, wearing tattered hide armor. In one hand it wields a rapier, and in the other it cradles its severed, skeletal head.
Dhuron usually act as guards in a necromancer’s, lich’s, or other powerful undead’s lair. They are able to understand most orders, as long as they aren’t complex ones. In whatever they’re charged to do, they carry it out relentlessly.
Dhurons are do not speak save for inhuman screams and grunts. They understand common and any other language they knew in life.

COMBAT
A dhuron enter combat by methodically advancing and slashing against the target. If an enemy proves to be too powerful, a dhuron will use its electricity charge ability.

Electricity Charge (Su): By taking a full round action, a dhuron is able to channel electrical energy form the quasi-elemental plane of electricity into its being. This energy lasts for a total of 10 rounds, and is expended through its attacks. When a dhuron is under this effect, all creatures struck by its sword or claw attacks take an extra 2d6 points of damage. Also, any creature that physically touches a dhuron while this ability is in effect, takes the said damage as well. If a creature is immune to electricity, then it is immune to this attack.

Undead: Immune to mind-influencing effects, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, and disease. Not subject to critical hits, sub-dual damage, energy drain, ability damage, or death from massive damage.

Immunities: Dhurons have a cold and electricity immunity. Because it has no flesh or internal organs, they take only half damage from piercing and slashing weapons.

All comments and suggestions are welcome :) .

Last edited:

Magus Darkholme

First Post
Alright here is contestant number 2, the bone pillar :D . This is also the first attempt I've made at creating a spell, so if I left out any details please let me know.
Coming up next, the sword lord, and then... *drum roll* the medusa heads ;) .

BONE PILLAR
Medium-sized Undead
Hit dice: 5d12 (33hp)
Initiative: -3
Speed: ---
AC: 15 (-3dex, +8natural)
Attacks: Bite+5 melee
Damage: Bite 2d4+3
Face/reach: 5ft by 5ft/5ft
Special attacks: Fire spit, flame breath
Special qualities: Undead traits, immune to fire, cold, electricity, intruder sense
Saves: Fort+1, ref-3, will+5
Abilities: Str 16, dex 4, con ---, int 4, wis 10, cha 8
Skills: Spot+10, listen+10, intimidate+3
Feats: Alertness, combat reflexes
Climate/terrain: Any land or underground
Organization: Solitary, Pair, or cluster (4-20)
Challenge rating: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: ---

Bone pillars are undead created by necromancers to guard their magic hordes and other important rooms.
Bone pillars are bleached dragon skulls with a flame in the eye sockets. They are rooted in the place where they are supposed to guard by the neck bone, which is still attached to the head, and is separated three feet from the base.
Bone pillars are given the exact command at their creation, and they may not be told anything else from that point. Commands differ, but are usually something like “Don’t let anyone but my servants enter this room” or “Kill all who enter”. Most always, bone pillars are made in pairs, with one head stacked on top of the other. When guarding hallways, they usually face opposite directions.
Bone pillars do not speak and cannot understand any language except the command when they are first created.

COMBAT
Most of the time, bone pillars are placed on ledges and other hard to reach places where they can’t be attacked easily. A bone pillar lies dormant until an intruder draws near, when they activate and blast enemies with their fire spit attack. If an opponent comes close enough, it will loose its flame breath attack, and if the foe happens to advance to melee range, it will use its bite. Bone pillars can swivel on their base, where the skull meets the neck, so that they may follow an opponent’s movements.

Intruder Sense (Ex): A bone pillar has the unique ability to sense the presence, living or undead, of another being other than its creator within a radius of 60ft. It uses this sense to see, and it can sense an intruder as though it had the blind sight ability.

Fire Spit (Su): As an attack action, a bone pillar can loose a ball of fire that deals 4d6 points of fire damage, reflex (DC 13) for half damage, with a range of 60ft. Creatures that are immune to fire are immune to this attack. This ability can be used once every round.

Flame Breath (Su): As an attack action, a bone pillar can loose a cone of fire with a range of 15ft. Those caught in the flame take 4d8 points of fire damage; reflex (DC13) for half damage. Creatures that are immune to fire are immune to this attack. This ability can be used once every round.

Undead: Immune to mind-influencing effects, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, and disease. Not subject to critical hits, sub-dual damage, energy drain, ability damage, or death from massive damage.

Construction: A bone pillar’s body consists of a bleached white dragon’s skull that is still connected to the neck, which is severed exactly 3ft from the base. Only a wizard with knowledge in the school of necromancy can create one. All that is needed is the necessary head and neck and the necromantic spell, create bone pillar.

CREATE BONE PILLAR
Necromancy (Evil)
Level: Wiz/Sor 4, Clr 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Touch
Target or Targets: One dragonhead or two stacked on top of each other.
Duration: Permanent (see text)
Saving Throw: ---
Spell Resistance: ---

Wizards and necromancers use this spell to create bone pillars, ghastly undead guardians. The necessary materials (a dragonhead or two) are laid in position on the spot chosen for them to guard. Once the pieces are in place, the spell is cast. Immediately upon “awakening” the bone pillar is given its special command, which cannot be changed at anytime hereafter. The bone pillar will recognize it’s creator, even if polymorphed, and it will not attack him, even if he strikes out against it. Unlike most spells with a permanent duration, the bone pillar is not subject to dispel magic. When created, the bone pillar immediately takes root wherever it was placed, and cannot be moved from its rest by any means.

Arcane Material Components: A dragonhead (or two), two small fire opals (placed in the eye sockets), and a pinch of ash from a freshly extinguished fire.

Since the next creature on my list is a construct, I'm wondering, what is the formula to determine creation costs?

Last edited:

Psychotic Jim

First Post
Cool. Symphony of the Night was always my fav Castlevania came. A few comments. I think you forgot on the Dhuron to take into account armor check penalty (from the hide armor you are having it wear). I would also think you might want to make the Dhuron's Electricity charge and the bone pillar's flame breath and fire spit abilities into Supernatural abillities, since breath weapons and electricity charges (like that of a shocker lizard) are usually supernatural abilities. If you make them spell-like abilities, note that using them will provoke attacks of opportunity and can their effects can be negate by the target's spell resistance. Also, since they are all skeletal, you might want to give them cold immunity and have them only take half damage from piercing and slashing weapons. As for CRs, the Bone Pillar seems more like a CR 4 than a CR 3 critter to me. As for the Create Bone Pillar spell, you probably should bump it up a few spell levels and make it available to clerics as well, since clerics are the masters of undead in 3E.

Last edited:

Magus Darkholme

First Post
Whoops! Yea, I forgot the Check penalty.

I originally couldn't decide whether to make them special or supernatural abilities. In the end I just decided to make them special and be done with it, but after thinking about it further I agree with you that they should be supernatural instead :) .

I like the half damage from piercing and slashing weapons, I'm definitely going to half to throw that in there :D .

I wasn't too sure about the CR for the bone pillar. I originally had it at CR5, but I figured it was too high so I lowered it a little; CR4 sounds good though. I really need to playtest these things :D .

I'll probably make the spell up to level Wiz/Sor4, Clr 3. I should have the changes up tomorrow ;) .

Magus Darkholme

First Post
I'm alittle unsure about the creation costs (I used the Wizards formula: number of hp*1,000 rounded up tp nearest 10,000 = total cost), but any rate here's the sword lord. If I'm off on anything please let me know :) .

SWORD LORD
Large construct
Hit dice: 8d10 (44hp)
Initiative: +2 (dex)
Speed: 20ft
AC: 19 (-1size, +2dex, +8natural)
Attacks: Huge +2 greatsword+12/+7 melee
Damage: Huge +2 greatsword 2d6+9
Face/reach: 5ft by 5ft/10ft
Special attacks: Bane strike
Special qualities: Construct traits, magic immunity, damage reduction 15/+1, rust vulnerability
Saves: Fort+3, ref+5, will+4
Abilities: Str 20, dex 14, con ---, int ---, wis 12, cha 10
Skills: ---
Feats: ---
Organization: Solitary
Challenge rating: 10
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 9-18HD (large), 19-24HD (huge)

A sword lord is a humanoid golem that is created for use as a guardian.
A sword lord looks a large 10ft tall suit of green plate mail with gold trim that wields a large magical greatsword.
Sword lords usually act as bodyguards for powerful wizards or as guards to a wizards home.
Sword lords do not speak, but can understand common and any other language that their maker could speak at the time of their creation.

COMBAT
Sword lords enter combat with methodical fury. They attack with their greatsword until either it or the opponents are destroyed.

Bane Strike (Su): A sword lord can imbue his greatsword with powerful magic that enables it to act as a bane weapon for 1d4+1 rounds. The weapon acts as a bane weapon to all types creatures, not any one type in particular, allowing the sword lord to cause +2d6 points of damage per hit. This ability can be used once per battle.

Construct: Immune to mind-influencing effects, poison, disease, and similar effects. Not subject to critical hits, sub-dual damage, energy drain, or death from massive damage. Sword lords have darkvision with a range of 60 feet.

Magic Vulnerability (Ex): A sword lord is immune to all spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural effects, except as follows. A heat metal spell cast upon it will cause 2d4 points of damage to it, while a chill metal spell will slow the golem as the spell for 3 rounds, no save. Any electrical based attack will negate the slow effect, and heals the sword lord 1 hit point for every 3 points it would otherwise deal. For example, a sword lord hit by a lightning bolt spell by a 5th level caster gain back 6hp if the damage total is 18. The sword lord rolls no saving throw versus electrical effects.

Rust Vulnerability (Ex): A sword lord is affected normally by rust attacks, such as that of a rust monster, or a rusting grasp spell.

Construction: A sword lord costs 50,000 gp to create. The cost includes the constructs physical body and all the material and spell components that are consumed or become a permanent part of them. The first task is forming a body out of plate mail, which requires a craft (armorsmithing) check of 15 to accomplish. The construct’s master can assemble the body himself or hire someone else to do the job.
After the body is completed, the construct must be animated through an extended magical ritual that requires a week to complete. Understanding the ritual requires a 12th level caster with the craft wondrous item feat. The creator must labor for 8 hours each day in a specially prepared lab or workroom. The chamber is similar to both an alchemist’s lab and a smithy and costs 1,000 gp to create.

Last edited:

Magus Darkholme

First Post
And here's the medusa head.

MEDUSA HEAD
Tiny undead
Hit dice: 3d12 (19hp)
Initiative: +4 (dex)
Speed: fly 40ft (good)
AC: 18 (+2size, +4dex, +2natural)
Attacks: Bite+3 melee, or stone touch+3 melee touch attack
Damage: Bite 1d3, stone touch see below
Face/reach: 2½ ft by 2½ ft/0ft
Special attacks: Stone touch
Special qualities: Undead traits, petrification immunity
Saves: Fort+1, ref+5, will+5
Abilities: Str 10, dex 18, con ---, int 5, wis 14, cha 12
Skills: Listen+10, spot+10, hide+12, intimidate+4, move silently+8
Feats: Alertness
Organization: Solitary, pair, cluster (3-5), or swarm (6-20)
Challenge rating: 3
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 4-9HD (tiny)

A medusa head is the reanimated head of a medusa that had been beheaded.
They look just like a normal medusa’s head, with a pain-wrecked expression upon their face.
Unlike a normal medusa, medusa heads do not turn creatures to stone with a gaze, instead the ability is delivered through a touch, which makes them more dangerous in that aspect.
A medusa head does not speak except for unearthly screams and howls, but it can understand any language it knew in life.

COMBAT
Medusa heads attack by dive-bombing opponents in an attempt to touch them so that they can turn then to stone.

Stone Touch (Su): A medusa head can turn a creature to stone with just a touch, similar to the spell flesh to stone. As a attack action, the medusa head can makes a melee touch attack, and if successful, the target must immediately succeed at a fortitude save (DC 13), or be turned to stone. There is no limit to the number of times a medusa head may use this ability per day.

Last edited:

Psychotic Jim

First Post
The medusa head was always one of my favorite Castlevania monsters. As for mechanical mistakes, the sword lord's attack bonus for the huge greatsword should be +12/+7 [.75(HD) + Str Mod + size modifier + Weapon enchantment) and the damage bonus should be +9 (1.5xStr Mod + Weapon enhancement bonus). Its reach, as a large creature, should be 5 ft by 5 ft/ 10 ft. As for the medusa head, the hide bonus should be +12; the Dex bonus looks like it was forgotten. The medusa head also has 4 unspent skill points. Other than that, great conversion.

Magus Darkholme

First Post
Yea, I must confess, constructs are not my cup of tea :D .
Now, shouldn't the attack bonus be +13/+8? Since constructs attack bonus is as a clerics, and this guy has 8HD, that would give him +6/+1. Add the str mod and you get +11/+6. Then the magical weapon enhancement makes it +13/+8. Am I right or am I missing something :) .
Fixed the skills for the medusa head and the damage for the sword lord. What would be a good skill to put those 4 extra skill points in?

Magus Darkholme

First Post
Here is the Karasuman, or raven demon. Up next, the sniper of Goth ;) .

KARASUMAN
Large outsider (Evil)
Hit dice: 15d8+45 (112hp)
Initiative: +9 (+5dex, +4improved initiative)
Speed: 30ft; fly 80ft (good)
AC: 19 (-1size, +5dex, +5natural)
Attacks: 2claw+18 melee, bite+16 melee, or 2wing+16 melee
Damage: Claw 2d4+4, bite 1d8+2, wing 1d4+2
Face/reach: 5ft by 5ft/10ft
Special attacks: Wing blades, spell-like abilities, summon tanar'ri, summon raven
Special qualities: Raven empathy, tanar'ri qualities, damage reduction 20/+2, SR 20
Saves: Fort+12, ref+14, will+12
Abilities: Str 18, dex 20, con 16, int 16, wis 16, cha 14
Skills: Hide+20, move silently+20, spot+20, listen+20, search+18, sense motive+13, bluff+12, intimidate+12, diplomacy+12, concentration+13, spellcraft+13, knowledge (the planes)+13, knowledge (arcane)+13, knowledge (religion)+13
Feats: Improved initiative, alertness, combat reflexes, multi-attack
Organization: Solitary or flock (2-4 karasuman plus 5-20 ravens)
Challenge rating: 15
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 16-25HD (large), 26-30HD (huge)

Karasuman, or raven demon, is from the 68th layer of the Abyss, and frequently travels to the material plane to torment intelligent beings.
A karasuman looks like a cross between a humanoid and a raven. It has the body of a humanoid, but with long, talon-like claws for hands. The head is a mix of a ravens and a humans, with the face of a man, but the beak of a raven. It has two large bird-like wings that, along with the rest of its body, are covered with black feathers.
Karasuman live to torment mortals. They love to swoop down and snatch unsuspecting victims in their claws, fly high into the sky, and drop them to the ground. They frequently command ravens to attack and torment travelers on lonely highways just for the enjoyment of seeing their terror ridden faces.
Karasuman can speak and understand common, abyssal, infernal, and celestial.

COMBAT
Karasuman usually attack by swooping down at foes and slashing at them with their claws. If there is a large group of opponents or if an enemy proves too powerful, it will use its wing blade attack and spell-like abilities while staying out of harms way.

Summon Tanar'ri (Sp): A karasuman can attempt to summon 4d10 dretches or 1d2 vrocks with a 50% chance of success, or another karasuman with a 20% chance of success.

Summon Ravens (Sp): A karasuman can automatically summon 3d6+2 ravens or 1d4 dire ravens. This ability works just like Summon Tanar'ri.

Tanar'ri Qualities:
Immunities: Tanar'ri are immune to poison and electricity.
Resistances: Tanar'ri have cold, fire, and acid resistances of 20.
Telepathy (Su): Tanar'ri can communicate telepathically with any creature within 100ft that has a language.

Wing Blades (Su): Taking a full round action, a karasuman can shoot blade like energy bolts from its wings that are shaped like feathers. The barrage travels in a cone, with a distance of 50ft, which deals 10d6 points of damage; reflex (DC 19) half.

Spell-like Abilities: At will - burning hands, chaos hammer, charm person, confusion, death knell, deeper darkness, desecrate, detect good, dispel magic, enlarge, mirror image, reverse gravity, shatter and unholy blight. 7/day - lightning bolt, and flame arrow. These abilities are as the spells cast by a 10th level sorcerer. Save DC = 12 + spell level.
A karasuman can also teleport without error (self plus 50lbs of objects only) at will as the spell cast by a 12th level sorcerer.

Last edited:

Psychotic Jim

First Post
Magus Darkholme said:
Yea, I must confess, constructs are not my cup of tea :D .
Now, shouldn't the attack bonus be +13/+8? Since constructs attack bonus is as a clerics, and this guy has 8HD, that would give him +6/+1. Add the str mod and you get +11/+6. Then the magical weapon enhancement makes it +13/+8. Am I right or am I missing something :) .
Fixed the skills for the medusa head and the damage for the sword lord. What would be a good skill to put those 4 extra skill points in?
You have the sword lord listed as a large creature. The size penalty (-1 for large creatures) applies to attack rolls as well as armor class. When I have extra skill points I don't know what to do with, I usually put them in Intuit Direction or Search. Or you could put them into Hide; as it is you do not have in ranks put into Hide.
Edit: Oh yeah, don't forget to add the medusa head's size bonus for being a Tiny creature (+2) to the attack bonus, making it +3 instead of +1.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases