Help Me Build a BBEG

Infiniti2000

First Post
Guidelines
3.5 Rules
CR 24 (not epic and no epic rules, so class levels limited to 20)
Probably all WotC books except MiniHB and the Heroes series
No setting stuff except OA, Monsters of Faerun, Magic of Faerun, and FRCS (all 3.0, upgraded to 3.5)
I have the Book of Hallowed Might and the Complete Book of Eldritch Might
No Ur-Priest
Must have a clerical caster level 17 or higher (for 9th level spells)
I'm not really shooting for the biggest powergamed BBEG here, but some powergaming is obviously expected
One major artifact or two minor artifacts (not included with treasure alotment)

I can work out the details like saves, attack rolls, and I will obviously tweak the character to suit my needs. Don't worry about abilities, but if you want/need an ability score of some value, then make sure you specify it.

I tried to come up with some ideas such as a corrupted half-fiend or reptilian vampire, etc., but no combo really piqued my interest.

Thanks in advance for any help. I figure y'all might actually like to help -- it's always fun creating BBEGs, isn't it? ;)

Jack Simth

First Post
Let's see... the Ghost of a Half-Dragon Drow would have CR +5, and, under the rules above, would qualify for Cleric-20.

You want +1 Ghost Touch Full Plate, a +1 Ghost Touch Large Shield (both of which have a Magic Vestments applied daily, to be a +5....)
+8 Str, +2 Con Int, and Cha from Half-Dragon (also +4 Natural Armor, but won't usually matter...); +4 Cha, Con - from Ghost; Net effect: Con -, +2 Int, +6 Cha, +8 Str; one to three ghostly abilities, a breath weapon useable once per day, immunity to one element, 60 foot darkvision, one to three ghost nifties (plus Manifestation), and if killed before dealing with the reason for the ghost, it WILL come back, beating the DC 16 Rejuvination roll every single time.

Mind you, you can skip the Ghost Touch and +1 on the Armor. Really - Cleric-5: Plane Shift, will get the ghost to the Prime Material, where it can act in a Corporeal fasion (and re-equip, if need be....) SR 32 with use of Spell Resistence (but only for 1 min/level after casting....) Magic or Luck Domains (for Spell Turning), and I'd suggest Empower (for Spell Turning....) as one of the feats.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I found this combo interesting...

Originally posted by Interwyrm
I was just reading through some of my books... and I came upon the spell Heart Ripper, from Complete Arcane. It basically has the effect of instantly slaying low hd creatures by ripping out their hearts. Then it dawned on me... there is a metamagic feat in Libris Mortis called Fell Animate, which causes any creature killed by one of your spells to rise as a zombie.

I don't have Libris Mortis, but if that metamagic feat works with any damage spell...

Scion

First Post
Planetar Angel, 8 levels of cleric (which should stack with its normal spellcasting)

+6 wis item, monks belt, horn of blasting, +5 wis book, ring of spell turning, ring of protection +5, and other such items.

BBEG's arent always evil, sometimes they are good that is highly misguided ;)

But then, this could be a corrupted planetar. Take your favorite evil god or evil organization (preferably the orgainization.. they could've gone through a massive ritual to corrupt this one and are going to keep doing it until the pc's stop them, or maybe the god did the first and the corrupted angel is trying to form a group to make more like him) and a 'corrupted' template of some kind.

Going along those lines:
Corrupted Feral Planetar Angel Cleric of X 6

Feral is from savage species which is halfway between 3.0 and 3.5 but should work fine.

Corrupted: This creature has accepted the dark gift of an evil god. Its alignment changes to match the dieties alignment.
Form of Doom (su): At all times it acts as though under the 'form of doom' power with a manifestor level equal to the creatures hd. The creature may not surpress it on his own.

Level Adjustment +1.

This guys overarching weakness would be a form change. It doesnt matter 'what' he gets changed to it will kill tons of his abilities. Always good to have a weakness in the bbeg ;)

This guy is pretty tough even without a full compliment of magical items nor artifacts.. if he had those I am not sure how much of a chance a normal party would stand.. they would need some major goodies.

Kwitchit

First Post
I assume you want this guy to be Evil-aligned, otherwise I'd suggest a Solar Angel (CR 23, but can be raised with extra HD, casts spells as a Clr20, and its weapons meet the artifact requirements).

So... A Rakshasa Clr17 that changes shape before the PCs arrive (to guard against metagamers). Domains are your choice. Give him a Shield of Arrow Deflection so the stereotypical response of "fire good-aligned arrows at him" doesn't work.

As for the Artefacts (no epic ones), a Deck of Many Things is always fun. If he has that, give him any other minor artefact (Talisman of Ultimate Evil or Staff of the Magi would work). If you want a major artefact, use the Moaning Diamond of the Shadowstaff.

interwyrm

First Post
Kwitchit said:
I assume you want this guy to be Evil-aligned, otherwise I'd suggest a Solar Angel (CR 23, but can be raised with extra HD, casts spells as a Clr20, and its weapons meet the artifact requirements).

Fallen Solar?

(And thanks for the quote) :p

Nail

First Post
What are the PCs fighting? That might help guide us.

I like classed demons. A Succubus warmage would be quite tough and fun.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Yes, he will definitely be evil aligned, chaotic evil specifically. I have his background already, but I can massage it liberally to accommodate a neat concept like the half-dragon drow (which actually fits nicely in with some other plot lines). The fallen planetar is interesting, to be sure, but I already have that in a separate plot, so it won't work. It's humorous that you mention the Deck and the Talisman, both are already in the campaign and are currently "possessions" of the BBEG's 'underling'. I won't get into details on that.

I'm really intrigued by the half-fiend titan, but that doesn't give me CL17+. I think I'd definitely like at least a few class levels, probably with a custom PrC (custom as in per a module, but I'm trying to avoid spoilers). He also has a deity.

Hmm, the half-dragon gives me an idea for an artifact - a dragon orb. That'll interest the dragon disciple PC. Btw, by the time the heroes "meet up" with this guy, they will likely be 20th level (6 PCs), and will have an artifact or two of their own. I'm not particularly worried about how powerful this guy is because I'll be able to tailor the encounter significantly with a lot of RP (possibly making the entire fight all RP).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases