Adventurer
http://www.usps.com/communications/n...5/pr05_097.htm

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 14, 2005
News Release No. 05-097
www.usps.com

GOVERNORS APPROVE CHANGE IN POSTAGE RATES
New rates go into effect January 8

WASHINGTON - The Governors of the U.S. Postal Service today voted to accept the Postal Rate Commission's recommendations to increase most postal rates and fees by approximately 5.4 percent across-the-board to take effect January 8.

This rate increase - the first since 2002 - is needed to fulfill the requirement of a federal law passed in 2003. That law requires the Postal Service to establish a $3.1 billion escrow account, with use of the funds to be determined by Congress at a later date. Without this federal mandate, it would not have been necessary to raise rates in 2006.

Among the rate adjustments, the single-piece rate for First-Class Mail will increase from 37 cents to 39 cents, and the postcard rate will increase by one cent to 24 cents. The Board of Governors of the Postal Service set January 8, 2006, as the effective date for the changes.

Jim Miller, Chairman of the Postal Service's Board of Governors, said: "The Governors take this action mindful of our obligation to assure the financial integrity of the nation's postal system. These increases will allow the Postal Service to meet the obligation established by Congress to place funds in escrow in 2006."

The Commission's Recommended Decision came after a proceeding in which most of the participants signed a settlement agreement adopting the Postal Service's uniform, across-the-board increase proposals. The settlement shortened to six months the Commission's administrative review, which normally takes ten months.

International rates, which are determined separately from domestic prices, will be adjusted to coincide with the domestic rate changes. International rates have not been adjusted since January 2001.

For a chart on selected rates, please see below.

Selected Rate Changes Current New
First-Class Letter (1 oz.) 37¢ 39¢
First-Class Letter (2 oz.) 60¢ 63¢
Postcard 23¢ 24¢
Priority Mail (1 lb.) $3.85 $4.05
Express Mail (1/2 lb) $13.65 $14.40
Express Mail (2 lb) $17.85 $18.80

Fee and Service Changes Current New
Certified Mail $2.30 $2.40
Delivery Confirmation (Priority) 45¢ 50¢
Delivery Confirmation (First Class Parcels) 55¢ 60¢
Return Receipt (Original Signature) $1.75 $1.85
Return Receipt (Electronic) $1.30 $1.35
Money Orders (up to $500) 90¢ 95¢

der_kluge

Adventurer
I remember when stamps cost $0.25, and a dollar got you 4 of them, evenly.

We pay most of our bills online nowadays, and I can't really remember the last time I sent a letter.

We bought this roll of a 100 stamps at CostCo in the early part of the year, and I would imagine that we've got a good 60+ stamps still left on it. Looks like I need to go buy a bunch of $0.02 stamps.

drothgery

First Post
der_kluge said:
We pay most of our bills online nowadays, and I can't really remember the last time I sent a letter.

Ditto. I mean, the last time I sent any mail was to vote; I can't remember the last time I sent paper mail that wasn't a communication with the goverment.

der_kluge said:
We bought this roll of a 100 stamps at CostCo in the early part of the year, and I would imagine that we've got a good 60+ stamps still left on it. Looks like I need to go buy a bunch of $0.02 stamps.

Or you could just be ineffecient and start mailing things with two $0.37 stamps...

Dark Jezter

First Post
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
Just in time for my Jan. 9th birthday! Thanks, USPS!! :)
You're welcome! ;)

Okay, I don't technically work for the United States Postal Service. I just work for a subcontractor that answers their customer service e-mails.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Apparently a lot of the increases in postage come from costs lost due to counterfeiting stamps. If you think about, counterfeiting a stamp would be relatively easy so long as you could create one of those squirrely scissors to cut the sticker with.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Well, that, and that volume hasn't changed, even though the amount of meaningful mail people are sending to one another has dropped. :/

Now I remember why I don't keep many stamps around. :D

Remove ads