Rate King Kong

How do you rate Peter Jackson's King Kong?

• 0 - My eyes are melting out of my head! Make it stop!

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 1 - You know, maybe I should have scheduled root canal...

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 2 - Plan 9 from Outer Space makes sense to me now!

• 3 - I have seen worse, but not many.

• 4 - Mediocre, but not brain numbing.

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • 5 - Okay.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 6 - It had its moments.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • 7 - Glad I saw it.

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • 8 - Very good!

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • 9 - Excellent, a great movie!

Votes: 41 39.0%
  • 10 - God is here, and his name is Peter Jackson!

Votes: 9 8.6%

Firebeetle

Explorer
The reason to see the picture

Two words.

Naomi Watts

One thousand words
watts-kong1.jpg

Two letters

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Last edited:

Justin

Explorer
Justin said:
Hmm. I was going to see the movie this afternoon. Not having ever seen either the original or the remake and not knowing the storyline, I could go in fresh with no expectations, other than from the great reviews the movie is getting. But the above quote spoiled it for me. :\

So I went ahead and saw it today. Mostly. Walked out after the T-Rex fight. Bored. Gave what I saw a 3.

EDIT: I'm very bored/disappointed/annoyed with movies in general these days. The only movie I'll see in the next year will be X-Men 3.

Last edited:

Tewligan

First Post
Justin said:
Hmm. I was going to see the movie this afternoon. Not having ever seen either the original or the remake and not knowing the storyline, I could go in fresh with no expectations, other than from the great reviews the movie is getting. But the above quote spoiled it for me. :\
Also, Rosebud is his sled.

Droogie

Explorer
I give it a 7. It was too long, too slow at times. It had its fair share of unsightly plot cracks (where DID those natives run off to? How DID they get that giant monkey on the boat? Why was Denham not immediately slapped in handcuffs when he returned to NY? We can say he bribed someone or just "worked it out" but why do we have to assume that?).
It was even a bit pretentious (ex. :the typing of S-K-U-L-L mentioned previously, the scene where Kong is looking for Ann in NY, and she appears, slowly walking down the center of the street, bathed in angelic light).
I can't blame PJ - this is his favorite film of all time, and this version really shows how much it means to him. Only it never meant that much to me, so naturally I found the hyper-drama more than a bit cloying.

But I did enjoy it, don't get me wrong- this movie, like Titanic, opitimizes everything we love about movies. Action, adventure, thrills, spills, scares, drama, love, heartbreak- its all there. The film to end all films. And Titanic didn't even have uber-scary monsters. I loved how the audience squealed with horror during the scene with those creepy giant centipedes. And I wanted to jump out of my seat and beat my chest with a cheer after the t-rex fight.Other scenes were beautifully touching ( the first time Anne entertains Kong in his lair, the scene where they slide around on the ice). But the end is so gut-wrenching, so awfully sad that I just can't call this a movie that I could see multiple times.

PJ accomplished his mission, I suppose. He wanted to pluck our heartstrings, and he played them well- maybe too well. I felt like crap walking out of the theatre. I won't be buying the DVD.

Most likely it will get lots of oscar noms anyway. Kinda strange : while alarmists claim the film industry is dropping off significantly, here wa have a remake of the film that ushered in its golden age. Full circle perhaps?

Remove ads