Proper Pronunciation of all D&D words!

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
You know wants funny - Sigil is a city on the planes visited by creatures from throughout the multiverse, for all we know the correct ponounciation is GGRRFFFTTHHKLLPPKKMMNNHHT

Psion

Adventurer
Oryan77 said:
If anyone can provide a link to a statement from a TSR/WotC creator giving proof on the real way to say Bulette or any other words, that would be great. Then I can change the above list and add in the explanation/source.

No link, but as I already said, the Dragon Compendium has an (apparently revised) listing.

It says, regarding bulette: boo-LET, or byoo-LET; also boo-LAY or byoo-LAY

Almost as if the author was trying to pay some heed to what the original article was, but knew in his heart what was right...

Odhanan

Adventurer
resistor said:
That's horrible, even by the fakey French phonology. If it were meant to be boo-LAY, it should be spelled "bulet." As written, it's boo-LET.
Actually, the French pronunciation agrees with you there. It would be "Buh-let" (with "uh" as in the German "Fuhrer" ).

Odhanan

Adventurer
Interesting. I was just talking about these pronunciations with Nerissa, my fiancee, and she was telling me "but you know, the alternate pronunciations of names in D&D could be used in-game."
I asked: "How?"
She answered: "Well, for instance, naming a drow with another pronunciation could be an insult for them, as if you're treating them like they're from the surface world".

Smart. :)

Remove ads