How do you adjudicate the spells, polymorph self and polymorph other?

• I let my players pick any monster. The only restrictions that I use are in the spell description as

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • I let my players pick any monster that their characters have heard about.

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • I let my players pick any monster that their characters have studied.

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • I let my players pick any monster that their characters have encountered and studied intensely.

Votes: 12 26.7%

Also,do you think that polymorph self and polymorph other are too powerful by allowing "…the physical and natural abilities of the creature it has been polymorphed into while retaining its own mind. Physical abilities include natural size and Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores. Natural abilities include armor, attack routines … and similar gross physical qualities."

Or is it just fine for a fourth level spell?

Last edited:

pendril

Explorer
I do my best to stick to the D&D core rules as written (including official errata). I want to give my players the full 3rd Edition experience, warts and all. This allows everyone to make up their own minds about the rules, and better prepares us for tournament play.

The polymorph self spell is too powerful, but easily fixed. Consider shortening the duration. Otherwise, your wizards/sorcerers will probably choose to remain polymorphed most of the time. Another way to limit any of the polymorph spells without changing the rules outright is to require careful study of the new form. This might include the capture and study of a live subject, dissection, library research, etc.

Because of the paperwork hassle, I'd also like to drop the "buff" spells altogether (Cat's Grace, Bull's Strength, and Endurance). These are cast so often, they've become a standard "cocktail" which the player invoke before every adventure.

pendril said:
Because of the paperwork hassle, I'd also like to drop the "buff" spells altogether (Cat's Grace, Bull's Strength, and Endurance). These are cast so often, they've become a standard "cocktail" which the player invoke before every adventure.

I know this is a tangent but...

I think that Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Endurance, Eagle's Splendor, Fox's Cunning and Owl's Wisdom, while a pain for the "MATH CHALLENGED" like me, :( are balanced since they only 1d4+1 to an Ability.

mikebr99

Explorer
Corwin the Confused said:

I know this is a tangent but...

I think that Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Endurance, Eagle's Splendor, Fox's Cunning and Owl's Wisdom, while a pain for the "MATH CHALLENGED" like me, :( are balanced since they only 1d4+1 to an Ability.

[OT] heh... what if your Incantatrix empowers some of the above... 7 times!!!

Bonedagger

First Post
I chose the last option (Encounter and study carefully). But I also allow the secrets of some of the more commen shapes to be available for trade.

Re: none of the above

nharwell said:
A "none of the above" option would be nice. I chose to completely revamp Polymorph so the above categories don't quite apply -- and, judging by what I've heard, many others have house-ruled polymorph to one degree or another as well.

Just in case anyone is interested, my rewrite of Polymorph can be found at http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?threadid=1194

OK?

What do you do then about what they polymorph into?

Last edited:

Urbanmech

Explorer
I'm in the boat that polymorph can be used to change into the more common monsters that people may have heard of. More obscure monsters (aberrations and oozes) require some dedicated study or having seen the thing in action. Polymorph is powerful, but with the current version it isn't too over powered. It is the Magic Missile of 4th level powers.

Spove

First Post

On that note lets drop all the cure spells too. On further thought most evocation spells should be dropped too.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases