self standing dungeon modules?

clockworkjoe

First Post
After looking through a stack of adventures at my local gamestore, I left somewhat annoyed. I was looking for a dungeon or two that I could insert into my campaign without having to alter my campaign a great deal just to fit the new dungeon in. In other words, a dungeon that the players knew existed, but had no compelling reason to visit at that time.

Why? I wanted to spice up my campaign by adding some more areas of interst, and give the players the sense that they are free to take the campaign in new directions. I didn't just want the only dungeons out there to suddenly appear when I threw a plot hook at them.

But most modules out there require a lot of prep work for a GM. You have to throw in a plot hook (the old man at the bar with a map etc) and a lot of the more elaborate ones have an ongoing plot that you just can't ignore.

So, what modules can I just insert into a campaign with little prep work?

Crothian

First Post
3 Days to Kill

It's not a dungeon crawl. It's a simple module that has a lot fun built in it. So fat I think it's one of the best d20 modules out there.

Schmoe

Adventurer
Rappan Athuk is good, from what I've heard.

Demons and Devils has three smallish dungeons that don't need any introduction other than some bard's tales told 'round the fire.

Forge of Fury is good for a low- to mid-level dungeon.

Another good source is some of the 1e stuff. Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, White Plume Mountain, Tomb of Horrors, Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, Oasis, Dark Tower. These all have complex dungeons that are well designed and challenging and would be easy to drop into pretty much any campaign world, with just a little bit of modification (and a lot of conversion).

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Hall of the Rainbow Mage is also a good one.

I'd recommend looking through the Necromancer Products line to find what you're looking for, since they adept at making some GREAT dungeon crawls.

scadgrad

First Post
couldn't agree more...

Nightfall said:
Hall of the Rainbow Mage is also a good one.

I'd recommend looking through the Necromancer Products line to find what you're looking for, since they adept at making some GREAT dungeon crawls.

Orcus & the Boys do a wonderful job of providing outstanding sites & allowing you the DM to fit them in to your own world. I can heartily recommend Rappan Athuk (RA 1,2, & 3). It works well for most groups starting around 4th level up to 15th level+.

Necromancer's Tombs of Absythor is surely the best deal on a HUGE, fully detailed dungeon setting that you're likely to find. You get about 90+ pages of module for around 11.00. It should provide endless hours of fun for your group & can be worked into just about any setting with very little difficulty.

Have fun!

scadgrad

First Post
clockworkjoe said:
...So, what modules can I just insert into a campaign with little prep work?

Just curious...what sort of campaign setting are you using & what level of module are you considering? We could all probably give you a bit more accurate advice if you would be so kind as to provide a bit more info.

Kibo

Banned
Banned
It's old, and would need a little updating, but it rules. Castle Amber. If your players go to sleep, you've got all the hook you need :). It's got all kinds of opportunities for subplots, it's got action, comedy, it's fun for the whole party. And kinda on the lower level side of things, but oh well.

Melan

Explorer
Rappan Athuk is very good... Tomb of Abysthor is great! For the $10 or so, you get 96 pages of dungeon adventuring, with new monsters (and cool ones), etc. We started playing it this week and it is a blast.

cbatt

First Post
Tomb of Abysthor is where it's at. The best module I own. Hands down.

The Rappan Athuk series is nice as well, but I think that Webb and Perterson saved their best for Abysthor. It's just that much more polished. However, Rappan Athuk will probably provided a higher level challenge as Abysthor is designed to top-out at levels where Rappan Athuk begins (levels 6 through 8).

Melan

Explorer
cbatt: actually, Rappan Athuk was created around 1980 and Tomb of Abysthor around 1990, so both of them have been playtested to the death, the former with 200+ dead characters, etc. :) I think the "polished feel" comes from the experience Clark & Bill gained some in presenting their ideas.

Anyway, both are cool. My players are contemplating a raid on the Temple of Orcus - they are sooo going to die it is not even funny. :D

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases