Where be the single-classed goodness?

Which of these would you play purely single-classed?

Aus_Snow

First Post
Which of the base classes listed above have you played, or would you *really* want to play entirely single-classed for a whole campaign (in D&D 3.x), with all the usual prestige classes and other stuff available?

note: I chose to include the two versions of Samurai because they're quite different, whereas the Shugenja hasn't sigificantly changed, IMO. And I've omitted those classes officially listed as 'variants'.

Last edited:

Schmoe

Adventurer
Frankly, I like single-classed characters, so I'd be tempted to play any character as a single class. However, I only chose the classes that I would want to play, period, so a lot of them didn't make the cut.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
I voted for a goodly number of them. I didn't vote for any classes I don't have (MiniHB, Tome of Magic, Magic of Incarnum, any of the OA stuff). But beyond that ... there are only a few that I wouldn't play to 20 if I had the right character concept and it was functionally playable.

Erithtotl

First Post
Are you including prestige classes?

Personally, I would never multiclass an arcane spellcasting class unless it was a prestige class with an equivelent spell progression. Otherwise you just nerf yourself too much. On the other hand, I'm suprised anyone would consider a class like barbarian a single-class only class.

I think most of the major spellcasting classes can be played effectively that way, as can the psion. I actually think the fighter might be worth considering for this now, with the addition of the PHBII material. I considered it, anyway, in my Shackled City campaign. I think I'll go with dwarven defender, but I'll admit that "straight" fighter was a consideration.

drothgery

First Post
The way I read this was to check them off if
- I'd want to play this class
- I probably wouldn't take a PrC eventually
- I probably wouldn't take a dip in another core class for a level or two

And that doesn't leave very much.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
drothgery said:
The way I read this was to check them off if
- I probably wouldn't take a PrC eventually
- I probably wouldn't take a dip in another core class for a level or two

And that doesn't leave very much.

I read it with a slightly positive spin.

- I could imagine a minimum of one character concept that wouldn't require a PrC
- I could imagine a minimum of one character concept that wouldn't require a level dip

That left a lot of choices for me!

Votan

Explorer
Duskblade

Duskblade screams single class to me and was my choice as the most likely to be played single class for a campaign. By the time that it would make sense to consider multi-classing the class is already really advanced (after level 13).

Plus, like Battlesorcerer (in UA) and Bard (before the sublime chord), you have already traded casting for abilities so a +1 caster level prestige class is unlikely to be worth it as it is also balanced for wizards. Also like these class, the spell abilities are too important to neglect by wandering off in a different pathway.

A'koss

Explorer
Votan said:
Duskblade screams single class to me and was my choice as the most likely to be played single class for a campaign. By the time that it would make sense to consider multi-classing the class is already really advanced (after level 13).

Plus, like Battlesorcerer (in UA) and Bard (before the sublime chord), you have already traded casting for abilities so a +1 caster level prestige class is unlikely to be worth it as it is also balanced for wizards. Also like these class, the spell abilities are too important to neglect by wandering off in a different pathway.
Agreed, particularly with the Battle Sorcerer. Viable PrC options are definitely few and far between for him.

Any class I'm interested in playing, I'm willing to play single-class. Thus, the only ones I didn't vote for are those that either

A) I don't know enough about to know if I'd want to play them, or
B) I have no interest in playing at all.

Remove ads