Flaws in your game

Fishbone

First Post
I'm just wondering what everybody's weak spots are when it comes to roleplaying.
I'm a gamist and as such I have mechanically strong characters. The problem is that I love combat too much and am totally gung ho. I put myself and the party in risk needlessly because I want to do something cool or carry too much weight in a combat or just out of sheer bloodlust/battlefrenzy. There have been a few times where my hyper-violent combatlicious characters have gotten the party in way over its head.
I also have RPG ADD. I'm versed in a plenty of systems but I'm a master of none. I don't have a character that I nutured from teat to level 34, in fact I don't think I've ever had a character last more than 6 months. I don't do "campaigns" well as a Gamemaster, I'm too episodic and I find it nearly impossible to keep interest with the same character for an extended period I've time. When I do get the chance to game I'm usually running or running in a silly amount of games, with many systems, which hurts my focus and the games I run as Ref/Gamemaster/DM.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
We don't role play that much.

But that's because our games are once a month or less. We can't remember what happend during the last game to effectively role play.

So D&D has become a kind of wargame-with-talking for us.

Jack Morgan

First Post
I mostly DM and my main problem is I get bored with the setting. when I get bored things get destroyed. Way too many play sessions end with the party riding away from a burning town. I think i've just watched Akira too many times.

Still relatively green in respect to the GM'ing side of things. My flaws so far would be:

1. I'm a little too railroady at times (despite my best intentions to avoid doing so)
  2. I sometimes put too much emphasis on realism at the cost of fun
  3. I don't differentiate my NPC's from each other as much as I would like
  4. I occaisionally put a few too many roadblocks in the PC's paths. This makes something that I intended to challenge the players become frustrating instead

Olaf the Stout

Nightfall said:
Olaf,

How about I import you into the US so I can have you and your friends critique my Dming skillz?! ;)

That would be ok but I don't know if you could afford the import taxes. I'm pretty expensive! ;)

Olaf the Stout

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
As long as you can a) pay for your own food and b) don't mind sleeping in the garage (we got plenty of space there, you and your friends can stay for a while. My mom needs someone to keep my grandma (her mom) from driving her crazy. ;)

Nightfall said:
As long as you can a) pay for your own food and b) don't mind sleeping in the garage (we got plenty of space there, you and your friends can stay for a while. My mom needs someone to keep my grandma (her mom) from driving her crazy. ;)

I wouldn't mind but I think that my wife may wonder where I have gone.

[/threadjack]

Oh, and to stay on topic, my rules knowledge when it comes to spells need improving. I suck when I NPC casters because I'm not intimately familiar with what spell may be the most effective in the situation.

Olaf the Stout

Remove ads