Anyone do the Dragon Mini Combats @ WotC's booth?

JDragon

Explorer
I, once again was unable to attend GenCon. :(

Last week I was talking to one of the guys I play D&D Minis with that had made out to the con and he mentioned an event they had set up in WotC's area.

It was a short secerio for RPG players that allowed players to use pregen characters in fights against the GBD & CRD.

I was wondering if anyone here had done that and would be up for providing some details on how their attempts went? :D

Thanks

JDragon

mearls

Hero
I ran two sessions of it.

In the first one, a kid who couldn't have been older than eight managed to deal about 160 points of damage to the dragon in one round to kill it. He rolled and confirmed three consecutive crits.

In the second one (and I'm pretty sure these guys are EN Worlders; I didn't catch names, but they threatened to throw some of my quotes on the boards) they took down the dragon with one party casualty.

It was a really fun delve, and I wouldn't be surprised to see us do something similar next year. It was cool to run something that's more of an event than the standard, "Wade through the dungeon, beating up monsters."

I played in that second game with Mike - it was a blast. Okay, now I get to post quotes. :]

The scenario was basically, you had eight pre-rolled characters to choose from. This gave the party make-up a bit of randomness. (We fought the black BTW) We didn't have a healer in our party but we were heavy on damage dealing. We started out in a hallway and the Dwarven fighter had a ring of Teleportation that could teleport the whole party. So we ended up with a surprise round on the beastie by way of luck.

I dished out about 475 points of damage alone with my elven Ranger in four rounds - however, it was about 16 rounds of combat and I spent the other 12 rounds in various states of hold thanks to Mike picking up on my damage dealing abilities. Or as he said, "you've gotten the dragon's attention; I believe elf kabobs are on the menu." His breath weapon dealt not only damage, but had a stun effect. By way of luck our only casualty was the warforged barbarian that soaked up a total of 458 points of damage (Mike, as the barbarian charged - "Ah, my first hors d'oeuvre of the day"). We, by way of luck of the draw had 150 temp hit points and a damage reduction 15/electricty & fire via buff spells. Of course we found out the hard way that the dragon had spell turning when our sorcerer tried a ranged touch spell (1st level Arcane Fire). Ouch! Mike: "As you cast the spell, it reflects back upon you - that's gonna leave a mark."

One Meteor Storm later and that was all she wrote. Great fun!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases