Effects of Large size

SpikeyFreak

First Post
It depends on what you mean.

The only thing that is common to all large creatures is they have a -1 on to hit rolls and AC.

If you are talking about sizing up creatures is gives them more stuff depending on creature type.

--Diminutive Spikey

Infinite Monkey

First Post
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I am creating a new race for my homebrew. They are Large size. I want to know what bonuses and penalties they get from their size. I.e. bonuses to Str and Con, penalty to Dex and so on and so on.

SheepLord

First Post
Large size gives the following for any large creature:

-1 AC, -1 BAB, -4 size, +4 grapple checks, +4 bull rush checks

They can wield large weapons 1 handed, and huge weapons 2 handed.

Their armour costs and weighs more.

For 5x5 large creatures, they have a 10' reach.

For 5x10 large creatures, they threaten 2 more squares and usually are 4 legged animals (+ 4 bonus vs trips) and a greater carrying capacity.

There is NO standard for Str, Con, or Dex for large creatures. But as an average, large creatures usually have a bit higher str, sometimes a higher con, and usually a bit lower Dex. These questions should really be addressed by your race design. Check the MM for more rules on advancing monsters sizes.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Large creatures get -1 to AC and to all attack rolls, +4 grapple and Bull rush, and -4 to hide. I think they all have reach 10ft also. Other then that it's up to you to determine stat bonuses and such. The only large race I've seen written up in a book is Stonegrunts in Mystic Races and presonally I didn't think they were all that.

Infinite Monkey

First Post
Thanks. Last question... What are the stat bonuses given in the Monster Manual for increasing to large size? I think they are +2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Dex, but I'd like to check.

Crothian

First Post
Creating a large creature and making a creature go from medium to large should be two differetnt things. This is why:

Medium--->Large
+8 strength
+4 Constitution
-2 Dexterity
+2 Natural Armor

That's not even close to being balanced for a race. From the stats alone I'd guess the race would be ECL+3.

Remove ads