Running realms...any published adventures out there?

Gundark

Explorer
My next campaign will focus on the PCs running their own realm. I'll be using the rules from Fields of Blood which is less intensive. Thus the PCs can basically email me what they are doing for their realm for that season and when we play it's business as usual. So, anyhow any adventures that deal with PCs running a realm? I know of the "test of the warlords" back in the expert D&D days. But are there any others?

Allandaros

Explorer
You might wnat to check on the Birthright setting for AD&D. I don't know how good it was, but a large part of it was focused on the PCs ruling their own realms.

Nyaricus

First Post
VorpalBunny said:
Take a look through Power of Faerûn - it may help too.
That was my first thought too, but then again the title makes it soudns like he's a DM running a Realms game that he needed published adventures for, but then his OP seems to point to somethign different.

Now, I'm jts confused over this all.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Fields of Blood is good at what it does, but yeah, you might find some other supplements more useful.

Dynasties & Demagogues (by Atlas Games) might help somewhat.

I think Mongoose Publishing came out with something along roughly similar lines - Strongholds & Dynasties, I think.

I agree with Allandaros, and what's more, there is a 3rd ed. conversion site for Birthright: http://birthright.net - it's got the 3e PDF available for free download, as well as a good forum for further info.

Of course, Expeditious Retreat Press offers the excellent A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe. It's specific, sure, but a good amount of the data is usable outside of the default "magical medieval" assumptions.

I'm not certain exactly what you're intending to run, so I'll leave off giving any further tentative suggestions.

edit --- and as far as premade adventures go, I just don't know of any, off the top of my head. Sorry!

Nyaricus

First Post
Didn't DMGII have a section about D&D realms and such? That might work.

Also consider afilliation ruels form PHBII - except stuff that the PCs can set up once they are on top, but have to deal with till they get there ;);)

VorpalBunny

Explorer
Nyaricus said:
That was my first thought too, but then again the title makes it soudns like he's a DM running a Realms game that he needed published adventures for, but then his OP seems to point to somethign different.

Now, I'm jts confused over this all.

I should have said "Even though PoF is a Forgotten Realms supplement, it may help in running a game wherein PCs rule a kingdom or are the movers and shakers in a campaign world". :)

Ghendar

First Post
Gundark said:
My next campaign will focus on the PCs running their own realm. I'll be using the rules from Fields of Blood which is less intensive. Thus the PCs can basically email me what they are doing for their realm for that season and when we play it's business as usual. So, anyhow any adventures that deal with PCs running a realm? I know of the "test of the warlords" back in the expert D&D days. But are there any others?

If you can get your hands on a copy of the Companion box set. PDF available here
http://paizo.com/store/downloads/wizardsOfTheCoast/classicDAndD/rulebooks/v5748btpy7mvn

That set has rules for running your own realm. No idea how it would port over to 3.5 though. Rules cyclopedia might also have these rules. Dunno.
EDIT Rules Cyclopedia does contain the rules. :D A PDF version of this book can also be downloaded from Paizo.com

Last edited:

Nyaricus

First Post
VorpalBunny said:
I should have said "Even though PoF is a Forgotten Realms supplement, it may help in running a game wherein PCs rule a kingdom or are the movers and shakers in a campaign world". :)
Yeah, that whole thing just compounded my "?huh?" factor by about 1000 :lol:

ruleslawyer

I think the OP needs adventures rather than supplemental rules.

THe Test of the Warlords series (CM1 onward) are excellent. I'd recommend those highly, as well as their follow-ups (M1 onward). I'd *love* to use them as a 3e adventure path! Other options (few and far between, of course) are the Bloodstone series (H1-4) or the Birthright adventures (which I remember being not so great).

Remove ads