The Age of Worms - Morrus' Campaign - Finished 6th August!!

GeorgeFields

Explorer
Dpulse303 said:
hope so i need a d'n'd fix...

You have no idea, dude. For various reasons, I haven't gotten to play D&D in over a year. 2006 is probably the FIRST YEAR EVER that I haven't played since I began in 1980. Crap, what a rotten year.

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
As we stood over the bodies of the fallen lizardmen, trying to decide what to do next, we were heartened to see Igmut striding out of the undergrowth, greatsword in hand. As he drew close to us, he muttered the words of a prayer to Kord to enchant Malachite’s armour.

Gathering our weapons, we proceeded around the side of the fort, with Flynne dashing ahead of us. He disappeared into the darkness ahead of us, and didn’t return. In his stead, we saw the dark figures of several lizardmen running out of the darkness towards us. Flynne was, however, clearly still alive – we could see his arrows hurtling out of the darkness and slamming into the backs of the onrushing lizardmen.

We joined in the missile fire; my quarrel flying wide, but Endo’s found its target – assuming he was aiming for a glancing bow to a lizardman’s shin. Igmut raised his sling, and hurled a lump of stone which must have weighed at least 3 pounds, and which slammed into the chest of one of the creatures with the force of an onrushing hippogriff, knocking the thing back several feet.

The 6 lizardmen split into 2 groups; 3 of them running towards myself and Endo, and their charge was swiftly intercepted by Igmut, Malachite, and Clive the ape. One of the other 3 doubled back on himself and ran to face Flynne in combat, whilst the remaining two stood their ground and readied javelins. The three approaching us were too far away to reach us immediately, leaving them open to Igmut’s counter-charge – within seconds two of them lay dead; slashed nearly in half at the waist in one huge swing.

Two javelins sailed forth, one causing Igmut little more than mild irritation, and as I began to sing, I saw Malachite and Clive slay the third fighting lizard close to us. This left only 3 of them; one in hand to hand combat with Flynne, and two suddenly panicked lizardmen surrounded by heavily armed adventurers. Igmut slammed into these two with the force of a hurricane, and very swiftly the fight was done.

.oOo.

Proceeded once again by Flynne, we moved on towards the door to the fort. As we got closer, the sight of some 15 lizardmen came into view. To distract them, I cast a swift spell to simulate the noise of a small number of armed men on horseback, sounding hunting horns. To my gratification, 5 of the lizards were immediately dispatched to investigate the noises. 4 more stood trying to hack down the small handful of garrison soldiers who still stood in the doorway.

There were clearly two of the lizards who stood taller than the others. One was obviously the leader, as his armour was better, and he clutched a huge bow and massive greatsword, rather than a club and a number of javelins. The second was his lieutenant, as he was rather stronger than the others, but not noticeably better equipped. This second was the target of Endo’s first spell as we drew closer – spirits and wraiths flying screaming at the lizard in an effort to terrify the lizardman, but the creature shook off the spell.

An instant later, Flynne stood up from a short distance away and fired an arrow at the lieutenant – the creature didn’t shake this off and took a heavy wound to the gut.

Igmut was the next to move in, moving forwards and chanting the heavy sounds of a prayer to Kord, improving our morale, as well as sapping that of our opponents.

It was at this point that a large number of the lizardmen turned and charged, many of them closing on Igmut as he was the closes target to them. A couple of them dashed straight past him and ran up to face Endo, threatening my friend the mage.

At this point, the leading lizardman produced his huge black bow, which creaked as he bent it back and released one then another heavy arrow towards the massive figure of Clive. Despite the ape wearing no armour or protective wardings, the two arrows sailed straight past the ape, and the battle continued. The ape responded by moving up and striking at one of the two figures threatening Endo.

I cast a spell creating a loud noise and stunning a couple of the lizards near the fort’s door, causing some pain to the lieutenant who was part of that group. He turned, snarled at me, and dashed straight towards me, slamming me across the chest with a heavy (although rusted) morningstar. I felt ribs crack as pain blossomed throughout my chest.

At this point, ghostly spirits rose from the ground, their moaning and their weaving arms grasping at the lizards, slowing many of them including the lieutenant who was trying his hardest to kill me at that instant. I waved my thanks to Endo and backflipped away from the creature towards the relative safety of Clive’s furry form, and out of the corner of my eye, I could see Igmut slaying one lizard and severely injuring another.

.oOo.

Across the battlefield, lizardmen slashed at Endo and Igmut, not hurting either of them. The leader’s massive and intimidating bow creaked a second time, and arrows hurtled towards Endo. Once again, the intimidating black oak shafts missed their intended target and sailed into the night.

Malachite finished casting a spell, and a large summoned lion charged into the backs of the few lizardmen fighting at the door to the fort. As it crashed into them, one fell beneath its scything claws. Malachite himself drew his scimitar and dashed back to face the lieutenant in single combat. They traded blows, but neither was wounded.

Still in the undergrowth some distance from the rest of us, Flynne pivoted, took half a step and fell into his familiar bow-stance; his arrow flew straight and true into the chest of the lizard leader, but failed to inflict much more than a scratch through his heavy armour and scaly hide. In response, the largest of the lizardmen dropped his bow, drew his heavy jagged glowing greatsword and charged Igmut. Within seconds, 2 heavy slashes had staggered the massive half orc, who looked mere seconds from collapsing to the dirt.

.oOo.

Malachite and the lieutenant continued their fight in one corner of the battlefield, whilst Flynne walked forwards firing constantly at the leader of the lizardmen. Heavily injured, Igmut stepped away from the fight and cast a spell, healing up many of his more serious wounds. Endo was quick to take advantage of the leader being unoccupied and cast his spell of weakening. However, the line of black draining energy sailed wide of target, leaving the leader unaffected.

The leader, however, turned to face Endo, shook some of Igmut’s blood off his sword and charged the mage, screaming “I hate wizards” in heavily accented draconic. The sword slashed heavily across Endo’s chest, and in doing so, it glowed – I could see the grimace on Endo’s face as he fought to protect his spells from some sort of draining effect in the sword.

Most of the lizards being dead, almost everyone converged on the leader. Malachite’s lion charged in and delivered a number of slashing wounds. As Flynne continued his missile fire, I dashed in and cast a spell, tapping Endo on the shoulder and watching him fade from sight, the better to be protected from the lizardman’s next slashing attack.

Despite this protection, the lizardman managed to hit Endo with an instinctive attack as Endo backed away from the fight. As the mage’s blood flew from a bloody wound in an otherwise invisible body, I was left staring into the angry lizard’s face from less than 10 feet away.

.oOo.

Healed, Igmut charged back into the combat, hacking deep wounds into the leader’s body in recompense for his own wounds.

The leader turned, took a few steps, and then leapt – his feet left the ground and then he simply sailed through the air, snatching up his bow as he went. Then he flew straight up, ending some 30 feet above our heads.

Desperately, we grabbed at bows and other missile weapons, firing at him and seeing arrows pattering off his scaly flesh. Still, the lizard was badly hurt, and snarled at us “Ilthane will hear of this”, and then simply flew away towards the swamp, hotly pursued by the madly firing Flynne – a number of his shots found their mark, but the lizardman escaped.

We returned our concentration to the battlefield, and cleared it of any surviving lizardmen before looking to the fort.

.oOo.

One of the guards at the door had survived conscious, and Igmut and I were able to save the lives of two others with healing magics.

We talked with the few surviving guardsmen, and their Captain, a man named Barratt, requested our help in recovering their captives.

When asked, Captain Barratt explained that the lizardman tribe was small, and that he didn’t know why they had attacked the garrison. He also didn’t know much about the mysterious illness affecting his soldiers – it had clearly struck a patrol who had brought it back to the fort and the laid about half of their number low. Those affected were given immense strength, but also an insurmountable rage and desire to destroy. Igmut declared this to be some previously unknown magical disease.

.oOo.

As part of our efforts to rescue the garrison’s warmage, we persuaded him to show us her room. We took from it her spellbook and a dagger found in one of her drawers before Flynne’s behaviour so mortally offended the Captain that he asked us to stop searching.

We declared that our search would commence at dawn.

Dpulse303

Meat head
Nice! Nic , very nice.
Looking forward to the next "sesh"

It was a damn shame about the leader getting away :(
we are sure to get im though :)
I want that bow!!
see you all thursday.

sniffles

First Post
Morrus said:
A bad bit of mdule writing, I think. Or proof that the EL system doesn't work!
Just trying to get caught up on your campaign, Morrus.

I'd have to comment on reading that combat that it wasn't bad module writing or proof of the ineffectiveness of the EL system. It's proof that your group has good tactics. :)

I could see a party like theirs easily being overmatched if you had some loose-cannon players or characters who don't think before they act.

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
sniffles said:
I'd have to comment on reading that combat that it wasn't bad module writing or proof of the ineffectiveness of the EL system. It's proof that your group has good tactics. :)

You, sir, are my new favourite poster!

Also, Morrus was all poorly this week, so no writeup, I'm afraid! :(

Remove ads