Telling Blow (from PHB II)

PaulKemp

First Post
Just got the PHB II.

So the feat "Telling Blow" allows a character with sneak attack or skirmish dice to add those dice to damage if the character hits with a critical hit. This damage applies even when the opponent is not flanked or flat-footed (in the case of sneak attack dice) or even if the scout with skirmish has not moved 10 feet and attacked (I'm going from memory here; 10' movement followed by an attack is the trigger for skirmish dice, isn't it?).

Anyway, if the situation is such that the rogue or scout would ordinarily get sneak attack dice or skirmish dice, and the roll to hit ALSO results in a critical, does the rogue or scout get the added dice twice (i.e., once, say, for flanking and once for telling blow) or does it apply only once?

Pbartender

First Post
PaulKemp said:
Anyway, if the situation is such that the rogue or scout would ordinarily get sneak attack dice or skirmish dice, and the roll to hit ALSO results in a critical, does the rogue or scout get the added dice twice (i.e., once, say, for flanking and once for telling blow)?

No, only once... For the same reason that you don't get Sneak Attack added twice when flanking a flat-footed foe.

Klaus

First Post
Just for the record, Telling Blow is THE feat for rogues, scouts, ninja and other sneak attacking types. Followed up closely by Improved Critical and high-chance critical weapons like rapiers, crossbows, kukri, scimitars...

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Why do you guys like this feat so much? I mean, it only applies on a crit. Is your rogue cirt'ing that often?

moritheil

First Post
Mistwell said:
Why do you guys like this feat so much? I mean, it only applies on a crit. Is your rogue cirt'ing that often?

It is a trivial matter to get a 15-20 critical threat range. That is balanced by the fact that it will usually only be x2, but if one applies sneak attack damage, each crit becomes much more potent.

Klaus

First Post
moritheil said:
It is a trivial matter to get a 15-20 critical threat range. That is balanced by the fact that it will usually only be x2, but if one applies sneak attack damage, each crit becomes much more potent.
Yep. Who cares if your kukri just deals 1d4 damage, when it has 30% chance of dealing 1d4+5d6?

PaulKemp

First Post
Thanks, all.

Here's a more interesting question: Is a spellthief with Telling Blow able to "sacrifice" the sneak attack dice that would otherwise result from a critical hit in order to steal a spell from the target spell, as he can with ordinary sneak attack dice damage?

I'm inclined to allow it, but I'm wondering if it's been addressed anywhere.

Blightersbane

First Post
A keen Rapier + 10th level rogue + Telling Blow = WOW, not "Oh my deity!" just WOW. Over all a very potent combination a roll of 15-20 would be critical, that's 25% of attacks. Add on Imp Feint + a Haste spell + tumbling + ? and you can have a unarmored rogue go "toe toe" with the tanks or at lthe east be a viable threat.

I like it

Blightersbane

Last edited:

Remove ads