Portland, Oregon

Justin

Explorer
Xyanthon said:
Justin,

I'll ask my wife if she still has her Oregon Loop hikes book. She lived in Oregon for a few years and loves it alot. I'm pretty sure that you should be able to find some trails around Mt. Hood (you can see it from the airport). Are you going to have a rental car? The type of trails that you suggest are pretty easily found throughout the PNW. Unfortunately, I'm more familiar with Seattle and the Northern Cascades but I know from my friends (who pretty much hike/bike/backpack/kyak/ski/climb every nook and cranny in the PNW) that there is some good hiking in the area. Also, if you don't have a car, the public transit is AWSOME. That is one thing I really think Portland has over Seattle. You can pretty much get where ever you want in a timely fashion by bus or rail. Portland also has a good Japanese Garden and Zoo, so if that is your thing, go check it out. Have fun!

I will have a car, so transportation is not a problem (and good for me because I'm not a fan of public transportation -- but that's a whole 'nother story). I would, however, try to find something within a reasonable distance (maybe 15-20 mins) so I'm not spending as much time driving as I would be running. :)

Thanks for the info!

Justin

Mean Eyed Cat

Explorer
I lived in Portland for 5 years and I still go back there frequently. Now, I just live a few hundred miles northeast [in Washington] - but I still miss that city. I grew up in the Northwest – having lived in Washington, Oregon, Northern Idaho, and Northern California – so I know this area very well.

I used to live 5 minutes from Powell’s and I loved it. In fact, I would often bicycle down there. Between that store and the Internet, I have managed to fill 7 tall bookshelves in my house. In fact, whenever I’m in Portland, I make sure to stop by Powell’s. And speaking of bicycles, Portland is a very bicycle friendly city. I used to bike to work [6+ miles one way] and to various other places around town. Lots of bike paths and trails.

Justin said:
By the way, does anyone have a good suggestion for trail running? My hotel is right outside PDX airport and the best time for me to go would be Saturday morning (and possibly Sunday, too). FWIW, I love dirt trails and dense tree cover, and a 5-10 mile loop would be ideal.

The best place for that kind of running is Forest Park. It’s in the Northwest part of the city and it is the largest wilderness park within city limits in the United States. Huge park with lots of dirt trails. However, its not next to PDX. Take Marine Drive west, hang a left on N. Portland Rd., go through St. Johns and cross the St. Johns Bridge [awesome bridge BTW] and you'll run into Forest Park. If you Mapquest it, you shouldn't have any problem getting there.

Portland has a lot of activities to do. Saturday Market, Chinese & Japanese Gardens, funky little shops, pubs and the semi-famous Bagdad Theater in the Hawthorne District, the MAX and Portland Streetcars [the best lightrail system in the NW] and great restaurants [one of my favorites is Alexis Greek Restaurant on Burnside].

Now some negatives. It rains a lot! Buy a good raincoat. The cost of living has gone up. Houses are now very expensive [but still cheaper than, say, southern California]. And, for all its quaintness, it’s still a city. Traffic can be a bear. These last two points are some of the reasons we moved [well, that and me going back to grad. school]. My wife’s anxiety would skyrocket anytime we got on the freeway.

But the mountains are really close and there are many picturesque waterfalls to explore. And a couple of my favorite stores are on Sandy Blvd. - Things From Another World, a comic book store, and Bridgetown Hobbies, a FLGS.

Have Fun!!!

Mean Eyed Cat

Explorer
Justin said:
I'm going to Portland next Friday through Sunday, mainly because Richard Dawkins is speaking on his latest book, The God Delusion, at Powell's Friday night. However, I'm also considering moving to the Pacific Northwest next fall (at the earliest). Does anyone who lives or has lived there have any advice on what to do and see while I'm there?

I just noticed this book and, without launching too much into forbidden territory, I will say that Portland is a pretty liberal city. So if you like Richard Dawkins and are okay with this ideology, you will probably really like Portland [this is one of the many reasons I lived there].

Justin said:
I generally don't like living directly in big cities, but living on the periphery is okay.

I used to live in the North/Northeast area of the city [Portland is divided into quadrants - well, kinda]. It's one of the older neighborhoods, but I like old houses and great old tall trees. Beaverton is next to the western part of the city [closer to the beach] and Gresham is next to the eastern portion [closer to Mt. Hood]. Tualatin/Lake Oswego [very rich neighborhood]/Milwaukie are to the south and Vancouver, WA is to the north. There are a lot more newer houses and suburbs in these areas, but if you want to get out of town fast, than these would be good places to live.

Hope that helps-

Mycanid

First Post
Tewligan said:
Hm - coincidentally enough, I may actually be moving to Eugene in the not-too-distant future. Have you heard from your friends whether there's a decent amount of / any gamers and game stores in the area? I told my girlfriend we can't move there if there's not enough nerdery for me to indulge in, and neither one of us is sure if I'm serious or not...

Well my good sir ... I honestly could not say. I have not looked about for such things. I have one friend there who works one of the colleges in the English department who did a lot of gaming (even wrote a book on the subject), but that is about it.

Sorry I can't be of any more help. :(

Stupendous post Mean-Eyed Cat! I had forgotten about some of those things you mentioned (no surprise, not being a "native"). I think it will be of use for Justin. Thanx!

Last edited:

Justin

Explorer
Wow, so much crunchy goodness I feel obligated to respond to all the main points! :)

Mean-Eyed Cat said:
Between that store and the Internet, I have managed to fill 7 tall bookshelves in my house.

That's impressive. I used to have a lot of books, relatively speaking, but I sold pretty much everything and now I have really just a handful and most of those are very recently purchased. I've found it hard to find books I'm interested in both reading and keeping. :\

Mean-Eyed Cat said:
Portland is a very bicycle friendly city. ... Lots of bike paths and trails.

That's very true of Boulder, too. OTOH, I don't like Boulder. OTTH, I'm not really a bicyclist anyway, though at times I think I might find it appealing, except for costs and the dangers of riding anywhere near traffic. I did try mountain biking once and while it was exhilarating, I feared for my life the whole time and haven't done it since (sold the bike, even).

And doesn't the rain put a damper on biking to work? Even if it is nice in the morning, what about the ride home if it rains at the end of the day?

Mean-Eyed Cat said:
...Forest Park.

I recall this redundant name from some Googling and have a memory of finding it appealing. I'll definitely be looking into it as an option for this weekend. It's hard to miss on the map.

Mean-Eyed Cat said:
Portland has a lot of activities to do. Saturday Market, Chinese & Japanese Gardens, funky little shops, pubs and the semi-famous Bagdad Theater in the Hawthorne District, the MAX and Portland Streetcars [the best lightrail system in the NW] and great restaurants [one of my favorites is Alexis Greek Restaurant on Burnside].

Oddly, I'm not much for culture, but it certainly doesn't hurt to at least check these kinds of things out.

Mean-Eyed Cat said:
It rains a lot! Buy a good raincoat.

This seems to be everyone's number one response when asked about the PNW. I've only lived in Colorado for a year now and I've found even in that short a time I've come to be spoiled about sunny days and probably don't appreciate them as much as I should.

OTOH (how many hands is that now?), it's the rain that makes the PNW so lush and I think that is a fair trade-off. Colorado (at least where I live) is just so dry and barren. They might as well rename it Arrakis.

Mean-Eyed Cat said:
The cost of living has gone up. Houses are now very expensive [but still cheaper than, say, southern California].

I used to live in Northern Virginia, so I know all about high costs of living. But I still rent and right now have no desire to buy. The costs just aren't worth it given my needs. However, if I were to move up there I'm hoping I would finally find a place that feels like "home" (which I've never had since I was a child) and want to settle down and build.

Mean-Eyed Cat said:
And, for all its quaintness, it’s still a city. Traffic can be a bear.

Which is why I like living just outside a big city. Close enough to go in but not have to deal with the traffic on a daily basis. I've also been fortunate with the location of jobs relative to where I live in that I've never had to deal with excessive traffic. I'd just have to plan right. ;)

Mean-Eyed Cat said:
But the mountains are really close and there are many picturesque waterfalls to explore.

I've only been in the mountains here maybe three times even though they were a reason I chose to move here. OTOH, waterfalls rock!

Mean-Eyed Cat, thank you very much for such a wonderfully informational post!

Mycanid said:
Stupendous post Mean-Eyed Cat! ... I think it will be of use for Justin. Thanx!

Frelling-a right! :D

Justin

Explorer
Justin said:
Mean-Eyed Cat said:
...Forest Park.
I recall this redundant name from some Googling and have a memory of finding it appealing. I'll definitely be looking into it as an option for this weekend. It's hard to miss on the map.

Forest Park is incredible! I cannot put into words just how amazing that place is. I went on a cool (45-50 degrees F), foggy morning and the best word I can come up with is dreamlike. The lush tall trees and beautiful thick foliage had me stopping frequently to just stand there in stunned, reverent silence. And I only saw a small portion of the whole park. I will definitely be going back in the next 2-3 months to see more of it, and to get out to the coast, which I've heard is wonderful in its own right.

I'd like to once again thank you all for your input.

However, special thanks go to Mean-Eyed Cat. I owe you big-time! :)

Mean Eyed Cat

Explorer
Heya -- you are welcome Justin! I'm glad you enjoyed Forest Park. What did you think of the rest of the city? I really miss Portland and hope to move back there some day. As far cities go, it's my favorite.

Justin

Explorer
The city itself was okay, but I'm really not much of a city person. I'd prefer to live outside a city, but near enough to take advantage of it. When I do travel up there again, I want to see more of the surrounding area, probably more W/NW.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Portland Further Info

I live in Portland. I've lived in and around Oregon all of my life except for college and two years in Manhattan, New York. It's a great place to live.

So far, I think I agree with everyone. :p

1. It rains a little every single day from October through May. It's also overcast most of the time. We don't get as much precipitation as Chicago or Seattle, but we get more rainy days than anyone.

2. Portland is a very liberal town. Many protests, huge Democratic population. Strong support for gay and lesbian folks too.

3. Top five city for bookstores per capita. Not just Powells, although that's the biggest by far.

4. Eugene is a much smaller town. It is a somewhat liberal enclave in the middle of the Southern Willamette Valley. There is a strong pro-hemp culture down there. But I also know several gamers who live in that area. And I think they still have their own game store. If not, it's a two-hour drive to Portland.

5. Several game stores in and around Portland. The biggest and best, IMHO, is Rainy Day Games, located in the far western suburb of Hillsboro. Spacious, well-stocked, and run by easy-going people. http://www.rainy-day-games.com/store.html
Bridgetown Hobbies is the centrally-located store. www.bthobbies.com. Good selection of RPG books, many boardgames, lots of modelling supplies and models--planes, tanks, cars, etc.

6. For those of you who care about beer, read this: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15642039/page/2/

7. Any questions? No, I don't know Sepulchrave, although most of my current D&D group are regular posters here.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases