Giant Shrimp

Brimshack

First Post
The possibility of making certain varieties of giant shrimp was mentioned in the tropical archipelago thread, and I thought they sounded linteresting. So I thought I'd take a crack at them. Kind of a rough draft. I'll edit them as necessary:

Shrimp, Giant
Daniel S. Wall
(11/7/06)

Giant Mantis Shrimp
Medium Animal (Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 4d8+12 (28 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 20’, 40’ in water
Armor Class: 20 (+2 Dexterity, +8 Natural) Touch 12, Flat Footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+6
Attack: Claw +6 Melee (1d6+3 +1d6 Sonic)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +6 Melee (1d6+3 +1d6 Sonic)
Space/Reach: 5’/5’
Special Attacks: Cavitation Damage, Superior Penetration/Crushing
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60’, Lowlight Vision, Suitable Companion
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +6, Will +1
Abilities: STR 16, DEX 15, CON 16, INT 2, WIS 11, CHR 3
Skills: Hide +8, Listen +3, Move Silently +4, Search +4, Spot +7, Swim +8
Feats: Alertness, Improved Natural Weapon
Environment: Warm Aquatic
Organization: Solitary or Pair
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 5-8 Large, 9-12 Huge
Level Adjustment: -

Giant Pistol Shrimp
Medium Animal (Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 4d8+12 (28 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 20’, 40’ in water
Armor Class: 20 (+2 Dexterity, +8 Natural) Touch 12, Flat Footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+6
Attack: Claw +6 Melee (1d6+3)
Full Attack: 1 Claw +6 Melee (1d6+3)
Space/Reach: 5’/5’
Special Attacks: Sonic Boom
Special Qualities: Lowlight Vision, Suitable Companion
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +6, Will +1
Abilities: STR 16, DEX 15, CON 16, INT 2, WIS 11, CHR 3
Skills: Hide +8, Listen +3, Move Silently +4, Spot +3, Swim +8
Feats: Alertness, Improved Natural Weapon
Environment: Warm Aquatic
Organization: Solitary or Pair or possibly a School (3d6+queen) in the case of Pistol Shrimp
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 5-8 Large, 9-12 Huge
Level Adjustment: -

Two kinds of shrimp have developed into giant varieties, the Pistol Shrimp and the Mantis Shrimp. Giant Shrimp inhabit the reef systems of warm ocean waters. They are seldom seen at depths of over 100’, and they have occassionally been known to crawl up on land in search of food. Each of these can be a hazard if threatened or if it decides that a character would make a good meal. Most encounters with these rather fearsome crustaceans will occur quite by accident, presenting characters with a sudden life or death struggle to prevent themselves from serving as an ironic meal to an ironically named creature.

Like their smaller cousins, both of these varieties of giant shrimp are prone to bond with other creatures. When found alone or in a pair, there is a 20% chance that a these will have bonded with some species of nesting giant fish (most likely an eel). They possess the exceptional ability, Suitable Companion.

Tiger Pistol Shrimp

This unusual variety of giant shrimp is endowed with one oversized claw which it may use to generate a special attack. A pistol shrimp has only one claw attack, but its second oversized claw is the source of an exceptional ability, Sonic Boom.

Giant Pistol Shrimp sometimes dwell in schools in which a single queen shrimp produces fry while 3d6 soldiers protect her. The queen shrimp is always 1 size larger than her soldiers, being endowed with the necessary hit dice to justify the advance.

Mantis Shrimp

Giant Mantis Shrimp are notable for the unusual development of their claws. They come in two varieties, one with spear point claws which it uses to skewer opponents and one with a claws suited to mashing its opponents. The former type of Mantis Shrimp does piercing damage and the latter does bludgeoning damage. In either case, the Mantis Shrimp gains 2 Special Attacks: Cavitation Damage and Superior Penetration/Crushing.

COMBAT

Cavitation Damage (Ex): (Mantis only) The speed of the attack by a Mantis Shrimp is sufficient to cause the water around a victim to burst, thus generating extra damage from the strike. As a result, victims take an additional d6 in sonic damage from the strike of a Mantis Shrimp.

Limited Swimming (Ex): Due to their large size and rather heavy weight, giant shrimp are able to swim about for only short periods of time. A Giant Shrimp may take a single move action to swim as far as it wishes. After completing this action, a Giant Shrimp may not attempt to swim again for 3 full rounds. In the meantime, the shrimp will sink at a rate of 30’ per round and it may begin movement once again in contact with the ocean floor. Giant shrimp do get their full waterborne movement when moving about the ocean floor.

Skills: Both varieties of giant shrimp are skilled at hiding against the ocean floor, giving them a +4 racial bonus on hide checks. They gain a +4 racial bonus when swimming. Giant Mantis Shrimp also gain a +4 bonus on Search and Spot checks due to their unusually well developed visual system.

Sonic Boom (Ex): (Tiger Only) Once ever 3 rounds a Giant Tiger Pistol Shrimp can release a sonic blast from its large claw. This blast does 3d6 in sonic damage in a 15’ cone, and leaves the victims stunned for 1 round. A Reflex Save at DC 15 results in half damage and negates the stun effect. The cone also lights up, though this has no discernible effect on its targets. The DC for the saving throw is Strength based.

Suitable Companion (Ex): If used as an Animal Companion, a Shrimp adds 2 to the effective level of its sentient companion for purposes of determining extra benefits gained from the bond.

Superior Penetration/Crushing (Ex): (Mantis Only) A Mantis Shrimp strikes with such force that armor is largely ineffective against its attack. Its attacks are always considered touch attacks.

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i wouldn't call it a giant shrimp, though. i'd call it...

a medium. :)

as in, "Look out, we're under attack by mediums!" ;)

Brimshack

First Post
New special ability, channeling ectoplasm?

Gotta give credit for the idea to Dannyalcatraz. Whether or not he execution is worthy of the concept, I'm not sure yet myself.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Some other feats that might work for these critters (and the marine Thri-Kreen I'm basing on them):

I was thinking that the "stabbers" should have Improved Critical, and the bashers should have Improved Sunder...perhaps after they go up to large in size.

As ambush predators, feats like Improved Initiative or even something as powerful as Spring Attack make sense for more powerful individuals.

Also, in a FRPG campaign without gunpowder, they wouldn't call them "Pistol" Shrimps...perhaps Thunder Shrimp or Anvil Shrimp would be a good alternative name?

Corbert

Explorer
This is good stuff. I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread and see how it develops :). One of my players has a salt-water tank, and had a Pistol Shrimp come with the live coral he got, and it managed to kill several of his fish. I think he will appreciate getting "revenge" on a Pistol Shrimp in game :lol:.

Qwillion

First Post
Pulling a cooper:

Hit Dice: 4d8+12 (30 hp) not 28. (4.5x4=18+12=30)

Feats: should be listed as Improved Natural Attack (claw) not improved natural weapon.
Personally I would give the Ability Focus: sonic boom as a bonus feat (pistol) but that is just me.

I also think the creature should have sonic resistance but that is just a feeling.

Brimshack

First Post
Oh, hey, I didn't realize this was getting some travel time. I see a lot of good suggestions in there, and I'll try to incorporate what I can into a new draft. I'm off to Gencon tomorrow. Will anyone else be there? Anyway, I'll take another look at the shrimp when I get back.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases