Concept: Gnome Bard Outrider

Lalato

Adventurer
OK gang, here's the concept... A Gnome Bard that rides his dog into battle. Multi-classing and PrCs are OK, but keep in mind that this is mostly supposed to be a Bard. In a 20 level progression at least 2/3 to 3/4 of levels should be Bard.

Your thoughts and ideas for the feats and skills this little guy should have would be greatly appreciated. So far, I've been following the path of multi-classing with Fighter and doing Mounted Archery feats.

Thanks,
--sam

Artoomis

First Post
The hardest part is making the mount survivable.

Of course, if you consider the mount as just a replacable tool, this is not so much of an issue. The issue shifts to having a ready source of trained replacement mounts.

I did run an halfing paladin with a war dog mount and it was a BLAST! Keeping the dog alive was always a challenge, even after giving it armor and giving it some magical protections as well.

You might be best off taking two or three dogs with you at a time. Give them no speical protections. Just keep a couple in reserve out of range of area effect spells.

Artoomis

First Post
"Gnomish Outrider" is an obvious choice for a prestige class.

Modified "Halfling Outrider" of course.

You won't get all ten levels, though.

Lalato

Adventurer
I didn't think about the need for "spare" mounts. I'll have to reconsider some things perhaps. I'm not sure how convenient it will be to have spares. If I do, it might be worthwhile for my character to start a kennel.

I had considered something with Halfling Outrider, but I'm not sure my DM will go for that. I'll have to check and see.

--sam

nittanytbone

First Post
Go for Fochluan Lyrist. Its a good way to combine bard and druid/ranger levels, although it really only gets off the ground at higher levels. The animal companion can be your mount.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Two thoughts:

Bard 6 + Acquire Familiar -> Improved Familiar

Bard 4 + Acquire Familiar -> Druid 4 -> Arcane Heirophant (until you can combine familiar with animal companion) -> Fochluan Lyricist (oh yeah, and get Evasion somehow first).

My favorite route to FLyr involves getting Evasion through the Shadow Creature template (LA +2), and buying off the LA at levels 6 and 9. This template is particularly flavorful for a Gnome who dabbles in shadow-magic (like Bardic illusions and such).

-- N

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases