Wizard vs. Fighter duels

Wrathamon

Adventurer
Several players in my group think that fighters can beat wizards in one on one fights 50% of the time.

So we decided to try it out and see.

Characters
12th lvl
straight fighter or wizard
standard DMG gp for 12th lvl
25 pt buy
Core Only

The Arena
Box arena 180 x 60 x 60 each player starts 120 feet from each other with 60 feet behind them. The walls, ceiling and ground are solid stone with dirt covering the floor. Everburning Lanterns are mounted on the walls every 30ft.

Rules
No buff round.
No leaving the arena
Players roll initiative and combat begins.
Best 2 out of 3 combats.
Combat ends when one player is reduced to -10 hps or otherwise incapacitated.

What strategies would you use?
What equipment would you bring?

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
I'd suggest modifying it to a set of three contests with different arena designs for each.

Keep the open arena for match 1.

Add random walls and boulders as cover for round 2.

Place round 3 in an enclosed dungeon environment of half a dozen varying-size rooms connected by short corridors.

That way you can be sure the arena isn't playing to the strengths of one or the other participant.

First thing I'd have the wizard do is cast fly on himself. Then invisibility and then start buffing. Maybe cast dispel magic on the fighter. Or maybe charm person continuously until he fails. Once it does, convince him to take off all his armor and take a nap…. So many options, so little time.

I'd have the fighter whip out his bow with a combo of magical and non-magical arrrows. Make sure the fighter has blind-fighting. Get some will save boosting items.

Just my initial thoughts.

Driddle

First Post
Expected outcomes based on my own experience: About half the time both combatants will realize their conflict is merely displaced passion, admit their attraction to each other, and fall into a frenzied, writhing mess of sweaty flesh.

Solarious

Explorer
Strategy as a Wizard? Stock on on Metamagic Rods of Quicken, and throw as many Will saves at the Fighter as possible, as quickly as possible. Use Solid Fog and Interposing/Forceful Hand to keep the Fighter at bay and buy time while you set up defenses (use Solid Fog first). When a Dominate sticks, tell them to turn around, walk away, and stay faced away while you set up a coup de grace with a Scorching Ray (or Shocking Hand for style points). Buy wands for (Improved) Inivisibility and Fly for starters, as Fighters rarely have ways to reach you, or penetrate Invisibility. Summoning monsters are usually as waste of time, since a Fighter can typically trounce them easily. Use Dimention Door for a fast escape into the middle of a Solid Fog that should be around somewhere, where both ranged attacks and melee is a nightmare. Basicly, Wizards can control the environment, Fighters can't. Use that to your advantage.

Most importantly, for both Fighters and Wizards, always take Improved Initiative.

Slife

First Post
Whoever has a Candle of Invocation (8,400 GP, 1 time use of Gate)

If you have crafting time beforehand, the wizard can spend it by making autoreset traps of ray of frost. (You need to spend a feat on craft wondrous item here) Alarm is used as the trigger, and so the wizard isn't targeted (as he whispers the password).

Each trap costs +500 gp × caster level × spell level, +40 XP × caster level × spell level.
Assuming cantrips = half a spell level...
250 gp + 20 xp.

So make a hundred of the little guys. (spending 50 days of time {magic traps take 1 day/500 gp of cost}, 25000gp and 2000 xp in the process). You now deal 100d3 points of cold damage each round as a ranged touch attack to anything within 25 feet of you.

Oh, and you still have 63000 gp for equipment left over. Just in case you wanted to make your victory personal.

Last edited:

Slife

First Post
Other nice spells the wizard could use

Attacks:
Maximized Ray Of Enfeeblement (drop of 11 str for a 4th level slot. Ranged touch)
Follow that up with a Ray of Exhaustion (-6 to str and dex, or -2 to each with fort save)

Utility
Mirror image (good for not being hit)
Transmute rock to mud (stone ceiling)
Rope Trick (if everything goes badly)

How much does a sheet of paper with exploding runes written on it cost? Shrink Itemed boulders?

Wrathamon

Adventurer
Slife said:
Whoever has a Candle of Invocation (8,400 GP, 1 time use of Gate)

Nice one. The wizard could also just use a Scroll of Gate to do the same thing.

What would you gate in?

I was thinking use a Force Cage scroll (standard action) with a quickened Acid Fog from a metamagic rod or wait a round and do the maximized acid fog using a rod.

The fighter would need to see invisible, fly or have some ranged attacks, good saves, good touch ac and probably carry around Rods of absorption and negation.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases