Why they cast Animate Dead on Orville's Corpse?

While watching "Feastign on Asphalt" on Food Network, I was bombarded with images of a Emaciated, Jerking, Withered Corpse during every other commercial break.

And said Corpse was hawking Popcorn.

Yes. Orville Redenbacher, Inc. hired some necromancer to cast Animate Dead on poor ol' Orville's Corpse (or he's been hanging around as a Lich the past couple of Decades).

Watch for yourself

Creepy, ain't it?

I can never eat Popcorn again.

Torm

Explorer
Yeah, we noticed this commercial the other night, too, and were talking about how odd it is that Orville's grandson is wearing his grandfather's skin. Buncha sick freaks in that family. Decent popcorn, though. :D

kenobi65

First Post
Frukathka said:
Maybe it is just a look alike?

My understanding is that they hired a lookalike / soundalike, then used CGI to doctor him so he looked even more like Orville.

When they re-used an old, original Orville Redenbacher commerical from the 1970s last year, they got a strongly positive response from consumers. This is the goofy result of that.

werk

First Post
Villano said:
This commercial is nightmare fuel. He looks...horrifiying. If anything, it makes me not want to buy the popcorn.

This is pretty much the response I've heard from everyone that I've shown the commercial to.

My best guess is that the popcorn manufacturer is bitter about having to buy out Orville's family for use of his name and 'likeness' on their product so they thought they could do whatever they want with his likeness.

Since I actually met and liked Orville (when he was alive) I find this spot repugnant and demeaning. He was a bit of a local celebrity when I was growing up in corn country and was frequently seen at the state fair.

Remove ads