Other than d20, what else is OGL?

Lalato

Adventurer
I noticed quite a few people saying that if 4e isn't OGL, they wouldn't buy it... I'm one of the few ENWorlders that is not a DM or RPG Collector so I'm intrigued by this idea. Other than d20, are there any systems that have an OGL component?

Thanks for any info...
--sam

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
I believe ACTION! is released under the OGL.

A bunch of d20-derived games are, including C&C and Mutants & Masterminds.

My own "AssassinX" is OGL also.

Psion

Adventurer
HellHound said:
I believe ACTION! is released under the OGL.

A bunch of d20-derived games are, including C&C and Mutants & Masterminds.

My own "AssassinX" is OGL also.

FUDGE now uses the OGL as well.

Glyfair

Explorer
Lalato said:
I noticed quite a few people saying that if 4e isn't OGL, they wouldn't buy it... I'm one of the few ENWorlders that is not a DM or RPG Collector so I'm intrigued by this idea. Other than d20, are there any systems that have an OGL component?

Always a difficult discussion because a lot of terms are used in multiple ways. D&D 3E is often referred to as the d20 system, for example. However, a game isn't technically a d20 game unless it uses the d20 license. Several games use the "d20 system" without the "d20 license" because they go through the OGL (Arcana Unearthed for example).

Also, the OGL is specific. Some games have open variations that technically don't use the OGL.

I do know Runequest, for example has a "Logo License" and SRD and uses the WotC OGL, but I believe other systems out there have their own variation of the OGL.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Glyfair said:
Always a difficult discussion because a lot of terms are used in multiple ways. D&D 3E is often referred to as the d20 system, for example. However, a game isn't technically a d20 game unless it uses the d20 license. Several games use the "d20 system" without the "d20 license" because they go through the OGL (Arcana Unearthed for example).
Well, there is a difference between d20 System and d20-based (anybody in this hobby can tell the differences between D&D and Palladium Fantasy with their eyes closed :p ), just as there is a difference between d6 System and d6-based rules.

Glyfair said:
I do know Runequest, for example has a "Logo License" and SRD and uses the WotC OGL, but I believe other systems out there have their own variation of the OGL.
Action! System had a draft of their open source license, but was convinced that the OGL is just the generic content license they need. The only thing they released is their own A!S trademark license.

Glyfair

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
Well, there is a difference between d20 System and d20-based

However, it's not always easy to tell what the person making the reference is trying to discuss. If someone asks "What d20 game should I look at?" should I recommend Arcana Unearthed? If someone asks "What OGL game system products are worthwhile" should I recommend Mongoose Runequest products? Some are only concerned with things like Mutants & Masterminds and Arcana Unearthed, while others are thinking they are excluding them.

Remove ads