Kris' miniature thread

Kris

Adventurer
Hello all, I'm not a fantastic miniature painter or anything like that... but I thought I'd start taking photographs of some of the figures I paint (or have previously painted) and post them here - and maybe make this an ongoing thread like a few other guys have done in the past :)

So I'll start with a few pic's of some basic dungeon critters...

All the ones in this photo are plastic, and I think they came from a Games Workshop 'swarms' box-set or something:
vermin.jpg

A cloaker from reaper miniatures (on a 40mm base):
cloaker.jpg

A couple of stirges, again from reaper miniatures (on 20mm bases):
stirges.jpg

Kris

Adventurer
And some of the bad guys...

From left to right, a half-orc soldier, a dark elf (one of the fabled 'Dragon Helms'), and a common orc soldier (the orcs are from Black Tree Design, and the dark elf is from Games Workshop):
badguys.jpg

The half-fiend, Lord Cömadöl (a plastic Games Workshop chaos warrior):
comadol.jpg

Last edited:

Kris

Adventurer
Here's some plastic elves I painted recently (from Games Workshop's current LotR range).

A wood elf from the forest of Luna Silva:
woodelf.jpg

High group of high elf warriors from the secret isle of Olor (Toldoloralf to give it it's full elvish name):
highelves.jpg

They are a little bit smaller than most other figure ranges... but I think that works out well for D&D elves (seeing as how your standard D&D elf is slightly smaller than your average human anyway).

Last edited:

nyrfherdr

First Post
Kris,
Your miniatures are solid. Very clean work.
I especially like your Chaos warrior Lord Cömadöl

Keep up the nice work.
Game ON!

Kris

Adventurer
Thanks nyrfherdr, the plastic chaos warrior mini's are quite nice figures (though it needed a bit of greenstuf to cover where the fur on the cloak joins together). They are quite large too (and suitably imposing) - this one stands head and shoulders above the wood elf mini.

Next up - a group of dwarven axemen from the halls of Steinnborg (from a Warhammer boxed set I think):
dwarves.jpg

Not bad for single piece plastic figures. I got a sprue of about 10 or so of these guys off ebay, and they came complete with a unit leader, a standard bearer and musician ...which I haven't get round to painting yet :)

Kris

Adventurer
What metalic paint do you use?
Just regular Games Workshop metallics. For example the silver on the dwarves and the dark elf was a 'boltgun metal' basecoat, highlighted with 'chainmail' and then final highlights were added with 'mithril silver'. It doesn't give that much contrast... but I was aiming for a clean look to the metal parts on these... allowing the actual metallic paint to do some of the work reflecting the light (well that was the plan anyway).

I tried a similar thing on these too...

Baron Garmann's men (plastic GW bretonians):
humantroops.jpg

Though I wasn't brave enough to try and paint the baron's emblem on their shields:
suthgeard_shield.jpg

Kris

Adventurer
I'm a huge Tolkien fan and so my campaign world generally reflects this a little (it's just how I prefer my fantasy I'm afraid). Therefore D&D orcs and goblinoids are pretty much just different breed/strains of orc (with the term orc and goblin being interchangeable). So D&D goblins are considered 'lesser orcs', D&D hobgoblins are your 'common orcs', and D&D orcs are 'mountain orcs' (that is if/when anyone cares to make a distinction).

So that explained... here's some orcs...

A group of 'common orc' soldiers (GW's LotR uruk-hai models work well as hobgoblin-like creatures I think)
commonorcs.jpg

A 'lesser orc' warband (GW's LotR goblins)
lesserorcs.jpg

Mountain orc barbarians (GW's LotR Mordor orcs)
mountainorcs.jpg

Kris

Adventurer
I've been going through my stockpile of unpainted miniatures this past week, with the aim of getting a quick coat of paint on some of the stuff that I've got lying around.

Anyway I saw this one (an old Ral Partha troll) and thought it might make a cool Annis Hag with a little modification:
https://www.connectstores.com/ralpartha/images/02-142b.jpg

So I've added a bit of green stuff here and there, cut of the hands at the wrists and replaced them with some plastic 'genestealer' arms:
annis.jpg

I also did a quick paint job on this figure this afternoon (a Ral Partha 'Smoke Elemental'), as I figured it might look OK as an Allip:
allip.jpg

Kris

Adventurer
More from the unpainted stockpile (pretty mundane stuff this time):

I had to convert this pack-mule slightly as it had a rather comical looking imp-like creature sitting on top of the gear (which I really did not like):
mule.jpg

A pack-horse (currently being sold by Ral Partha Europe - but originally Armalion?):
horse.jpg

Going through all my mini's I realised I only have one that doesn't carry a weapon (not counting critters with natural weapons). So here's one that will probably be used as many a misc. NPC (from Black Tree Design):
harp.jpg

And another one I painted pretty quickly just for the hell of it ...a warthog (which will probably get used as a wild boar proxy). It too is from Ral Partha.
warthog.jpg

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases