Bioware's DS RPG is....Sonic the Hedgehog?

takyris

First Post
:)

The guys I've talked to on the team (some acquaintences, and one guy that I have lunch with regularly) are jazzed. They are really excited at the prospect of combining BioWare RPG stuff with the fun parts of Sonic exploration.

Just don't ask them about romances.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I've been expecting Sega to do a Sonic RPG, because as Chuck poined out, it's worked for Mario pretty well. But Bioware doing it, that's just mind blowing. I was expecting their DS game to either be a new IP, or tied into one of their upcoming games (like Mass Effector or the Dragon whatzit one).

It could be be good, but at the same time, I think I would have preferred Mass Effect DS. Or something like a Baldur's Gate/Torment game.

takyris

First Post
View from the ground: The problem with doing Baldur's Gate DS is that BioWare doesn't own the rights to the franchise -- Interplay owns some of it, and TSR owned other parts, and... it's murky.

If you mean "something like Baldur's Gate, but in a new world", then my guess (and this is just a guy-on-the-street guess) is that we're testing the waters with the Sonic game. Even a bad Sonic game sells pretty well, so assuming we make a good one, we can see a) how much effort it took the studio and b) how much it brought in for the studio in terms of money, expertise, and offers to develop other IPs. If it sells pretty well, then we've got a team with a decent engine in place to make a Mass Effect or Dragon Age tie-in or a Jade Empire spin-off or whatever.

Vigilance

Explorer
trancejeremy said:
I've been expecting Sega to do a Sonic RPG, because as Chuck poined out, it's worked for Mario pretty well. But Bioware doing it, that's just mind blowing. I was expecting their DS game to either be a new IP, or tied into one of their upcoming games (like Mass Effector or the Dragon whatzit one).

It could be be good, but at the same time, I think I would have preferred Mass Effect DS. Or something like a Baldur's Gate/Torment game.

Well, I think Sega is making a big push to make Sonic respectable again. So I this as another step in their strategy, along with the Sonic-Mario game coming up. In both cases, their partnering with some heavy hitters (BioWare and Nintendo).

To me this is a good sign. Maybe these companies can help Sega find their way with Sonic.

Personally, I think another good step would be for them to take another tip from Nintendo's awesome New Super Mario Brothers and just release a new, 2-D Sonic platformer for the DS.

That would be awesome. For some reason Sonic's gameplay never really translated to a 3-d game.

Bioware...DS...Sonic...

Oh please let this rock. Sonic has really lost its wonder in the last few years and I've badly wanted to see another great game redeem the series.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
takyris said:
View from the ground: The problem with doing Baldur's Gate DS is that BioWare doesn't own the rights to the franchise -- Interplay owns some of it, and TSR owned other parts, and... it's murky.

If you mean "something like Baldur's Gate, but in a new world", then my guess (and this is just a guy-on-the-street guess) is that we're testing the waters with the Sonic game. Even a bad Sonic game sells pretty well, so assuming we make a good one, we can see a) how much effort it took the studio and b) how much it brought in for the studio in terms of money, expertise, and offers to develop other IPs. If it sells pretty well, then we've got a team with a decent engine in place to make a Mass Effect or Dragon Age tie-in or a Jade Empire spin-off or whatever.

Yeah, I meant something like it, presumably in say the Dragon Age universe (since that seems more like traditional fantasy than Jade Empire.). But I guess this makes sense, since as you say, it's practice, and Sega is paying for the development of it, while something of your own IP would probably have to be self-financed until you found a publisher.

D.Shaffer

First Post
Sonic? :confused:

I have to admit, this one came out of left field. But it could work. That said, the core of sonic's gameplay has been his high speed. This is one of the major complaints about the latter games. I'm not sure if you can properly GET a proper sense of speed in an RPG.

That and I'm sure Amy's going to be annoying as ever if she's around.

Remove ads