[title]
[size=+5]Tarag’s Forge[/size]

[size=+3]Fine Weapons[/size]

[size=+2]&[/size]

[size=+3]Armor to save your life[/size]
[size=+4]
[/size]
[/title]

Tarag, son of Azagindulad, has just arrived in Orussus. A smith trained at the Forge in the Bruinthor Mountains, he spends the first morning in town searching out suitable premises and setting up a new business. As soon as he can, he opens his doors. Soon the air is filled with the clangour of his trade. Quickly, a stock of standard items is arrayed on the display shelves, as well as a smaller stock of discounted items.

Stock in hand - 20% off!
Code:
[s]Morningstar, MW         246.40 gp[/s]
[s]Crossbow, light          28.00 gp[/s]
[s]Shield, heavy wooden      5.60 gp[/s]
Splint mail             160.00 gp
Any other weapon or armor, including masterwork items, can be ordered and will be available as soon as possible (usually the next day). He charges 80% of list price for these items.

"But if you're prepared to get your hands dirty, I'll give you a further 10% off."

OOC: That is, anyone wanting to contribute half the Craft Points for a job will pay less. ;)

[sblock=The Job System]Here's the thread which details the Job System. The appropriate parts of the post are reproduced below.

The Job System
The job system is meant as an alternate source of income, for times when adventures are scarce, or for characters that are not as adventuresome as others. For every full week in real life (starting with the day the character makes a post in an appropriate downtime thread, such as the Red Dragon Inn or his shop thread), a character on a job, but not on adventure gains some benefits, usually money and some other benefits (such as Craft Points, minor favors, and the like), and 5 XP per week. Partial weeks are passed to assistants, if any. In that case, all of that week is treated as though the apprentice (or nobody, if there is no apprentice) worked that week. Most jobs have a requirement that must be fulfilled, though characters on the way to fulfill the requirements might become apprentices/assistants to another character.

Obtaining a Job
A character not currently on an adventure who qualifies for a job may (note the job on his character sheet/start an appropriate (Adventure?) thread?) and notify a judge. A character becoming an apprentice or partner of another character with the same job should (note this as well/use the thread of that character?).

Jobs use the following template:
NAME
Description
Requirements:
gp/week: This is the number of gold pieces a character earns for every week real time not spent adventuring. A few jobs allow the character to earn money even while on adventure, but usually at a reduced rate.
Special Payment:
Special:

CRAFTSMAN
You are a craftsman, making a living on creating and selling items.
Requirements: At least 1 Craft skill at 4 ranks.
gp/week: 2.5 plus 1/4 the highest Craft skill modifier you have (ranks in Craft + Int modifier + other permanent bonuses).
Special Payment: You gain 1 Craft Point per week per rank in your highest Craft skill.
Special: You can craft, buy and sell items in a seperate thread while not adventuring. You must possess artisan tools. If you do not have one yet, you must set aside at least 1/4 of your income for a workshop, which costs 500 gp to buy.
You are assumed to have a selection of common goods (simple weapons, light armor, non-masterwork items) for sale. These cost neither money nor Craft Points to maintain. Other items need to be crafted or bought first.
[/sblock][sblock=Job income, XP & Craft Points gained]
Code:
[size=-1]Per week spent on the job:

(First level)
2.5 + 1/4 (4 ranks + 2 Int bonus + 4 Domain bonus +1 half racial bonus* = 11) = 5.25 gp
1/4 of which (1.31 gp) goes to paying off the premises (500 gp total cost)

(Second level)
2.5 + 1/4 (5 ranks + 2 Int bonus + 4 Domain bonus +1 half racial bonus* = 12) = 5.50 gp
1/4 of which (1.37 gp) goes to paying off the premises (500 gp total cost)

(Third level)
2.5 + 1/4 (6 ranks + 2 Int bonus + 4 Domain bonus +1 half racial bonus* = 13) = 5.75 gp
1/4 of which (1.44 gp) goes to paying off the premises (500 gp total cost)

(Fourth level)
2.5 + 1/4 (7 ranks + 2 Int bonus + 4 Domain bonus +1 half racial bonus* = 14) = 6.00 gp
1/4 of which (1.50 gp) goes to paying off the premises (500 gp total cost)

[b]Fifth level[/b]
2.5 + 1/4 (8 ranks + 2 Int bonus + 4 Domain bonus +1 half racial bonus* = 15) = 6.25 gp
1/4 of which (1.57 gp) goes to paying off the premises (500 gp total cost)
* Ruling in posts 1102-1104 in [url=http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?p=3647757]this thread[/url].

XP gained at the rate of 5 per week.

(First level)
Craft Points gained at the rate of 4 per week (ranks in highest ranked Craft skill)

(Second level)
Craft Points gained at the rate of 5 per week (ranks in highest ranked Craft skill)

(Third level)
Craft Points gained at the rate of 6 per week (ranks in highest ranked Craft skill)

(Fourth level)
Craft Points gained at the rate of 7 per week (ranks in highest ranked Craft skill)

[b]Fifth level[/b]
Craft Points gained at the rate of 8 per week (ranks in highest ranked Craft skill)

[i]I've just discovered that the table I've painstakingly been maintaining has errors in it,
so I've replaced it with the attached spreadsheet. From now on, I'll update the
spreadsheet and just post the summary below:[/i]

Income   Lease Payt   Lease Bal   NPC Payt   App’tice   Income Bal   XP   CP
09/07/07:   1539.57  384.94       115.06      252.38     15.00      887.25       65   70

Cash on hand:                                                       78.99[/size]
[/sblock]

Attachments

• Tarag's Forge - Job income, XP & Craft Points gained.xls
    41 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
OOC: That's fine, but just keep in mind you can't run your shop while you're out of town on an adventure, and you do need to have the craft points for it.

Boddynock

First Post
OOC: Thanks, Bront. Yes, I know that he won't receive any benefits if he's away and there's no assistant or apprentice to do the work for him. He'll probably look to take someone on when he's a little more established (read 'when he has a couple of gold pieces to his name') but for now it's a solo enterprise.

As to the Craft ranks, he's maxed out Craft (Armorsmith) & Craft (Weaponsmith). He actually has a permanent +10 skill bonus (which will improve when he can afford MW artisans tools). Hmm, I probably should put a link to his character sheet ... here 'tis!

Edit: Oops, you said craft points, not ranks. Um, yeah, OK. :eek: Thanks - I'll keep track.

Second edit: Double oops, :eek: :eek: Bront, you're such a man of mystery that I forgot that you're also a Judge. Do I take your comments as an official OK, then?

Last edited:

Boddynock

First Post
Tarag bustles in, his first commission customer in tow.

"Right then, here we are. Now, you have the cash? That's right, 111 gold, 6 silver and 7 coppers. Very good. Yes, the delivery I arranged on the way should be here any time now."

"Now then, lad, what did you say your name is? Richard? All right, Richard. You'll be doing the grunt work today - hauling coal, manning the bellows, making sure the water buckets are filled."

"Now, if I were you, I'd take off that armor. Trust me, it gets plenty hot in here. And before we start, drink this - all of it. Now I don't care if you're not thirsty - believe me, you soon will be. And better by far to replace the ale in your belly with good, fresh water. I need you to have a clear head."

"Right then, let's have a look at you. How tall are you? Typically a bastard sword is around 45 to 55 inches ... now, what would suit you. Hold out your arm. Ah, so. All right, here we go!"

OOC: Setting the scene for Richard's entrance. And as soon as I work out how to post pictures, I'll be able to show you your sword! :)

Richard Rawen

First Post
Boddynock said:
Tarag bustles in, his first commission customer in tow.

"Right then, here we are. Now, you have the cash? That's right, 111 gold, 6 silver and 7 coppers. Very good. Yes, the delivery I arranged on the way should be here any time now."
Richards' eyes lose focus again for a moment, he numbly reaches down to his side but is distracted by the quick speech of the smith. Trying to keep his ale-addled mind on what is being said, he quickly forgets the tug at the back of his mind.
Boddynock said:
"Now then, lad, what did you say your name is? Richard? All right, Richard. You'll be doing the grunt work today - hauling coal, manning the bellows, making sure the water buckets are filled."

"Now, if I were you, I'd take off that armor. Trust me, it gets plenty hot in here. And before we start, drink this - all of it. Now I don't care if you're not thirsty - believe me, you soon will be. And better by far to replace the ale in your belly with good, fresh water. I need you to have a clear head."

"Right then, let's have a look at you. How tall are you? Typically a bastard sword is around 45 to 55 inches ... now, what would suit you. Hold out your arm. Ah, so. All right, here we go!"

OOC: Setting the scene for Richard's entrance. And as soon as I work out how to post pictures, I'll be able to show you your sword! :)

Slowly peeling the straps one by one, there is a look of concentration upon the youthful humans' features. Several times now he has thought to speak, yet he cannot get a word in edgewise... finally, after finishing the proffered water and settling his gear against a wall, he sets his coin purse on the workbench/desk and tries to count it carefully. His wrinkled brow and the scant number of coin on the bench start to come together... the young warrior raises one meaty palm up and smacks his own forehead.
Turning back towards his pack, he walks carefully across the room, his eyes avoiding the gaze of the Dwarf.
After some rummaging, during which a few ceramic tinklings can be heard, followed by a muffled curse, Richard stands and turns towards his host. He seems to have sobered up considerably and looks to be openly ashamed.
"I seem to have already spent the money I intended for the sword. I'd not had the coin long and it seems my mind does not handle the Dwarven stout as well as I'd hoped. I've several potions of healing, purchased from the temple so I know it is good, and other than that I'll have to work a spell to pay off whatever I owe ya for your trouble so far...
When I have the coin I'd be honored to return to buy a sword from ye."

Eyes downcast for a moment, Richard stands tall and straightens his spine, "What shall ye have me do first?"

Boddynock

First Post
Richard Rawen said:
Richard stands and turns towards his host. He seems to have sobered up considerably and looks to be openly ashamed.
"I seem to have already spent the money I intended for the sword. I'd not had the coin long and it seems my mind does not handle the Dwarven stout as well as I'd hoped. I've several potions of healing, purchased from the temple so I know it is good, and other than that I'll have to work a spell to pay off whatever I owe ya for your trouble so far...
When I have the coin I'd be honored to return to buy a sword from ye."

Eyes downcast for a moment, Richard stands tall and straightens his spine, "What shall ye have me do first?"
Tarag's face is a picture. He's now the one at a loss for words.

"You've already spent ... You haven't enough ... Well, tell me what you do have. How much coin's left? Is it enough to pay for the raw materials? Chennet's flame, man, I have to pay the waggoner when he arrives."

The angry dwarf stops and draws a deep breath. "Bah! Next time stick to something you can handle."

"Well then, tell me what you can afford, and I'll see if it's enough to cover my costs. And you'd better tell me what sort of potions you've got, as well."

OOC: Hmm, this is a surprising twist. Perhaps we should have a Judge here to adjudicate.

Richard Rawen

First Post
Boddynock said:
Tarag's face is a picture. He's now the one at a loss for words.

"You've already spent ... You haven't enough ... Well, tell me what you do have. How much coin's left? Is it enough to pay for the raw materials? Chennet's flame, man, I have to pay the waggoner when he arrives."

The angry dwarf stops and draws a deep breath. "Bah! Next time stick to something you can handle."

"Well then, tell me what you can afford, and I'll see if it's enough to cover my costs. And you'd better tell me what sort of potions you've got, as well."

OOC: Hmm, this is a surprising twist. Perhaps we should have a Judge here to adjudicate.

OOC: I'm actually playing IC, Richard is a young man, and believe it or not, he's never been drunk before. Dwarven Stout - 6 by my count - put him in a very drunken state.
Add to that the fact he's not used to money, it's a bad combination.

"I've thirty gold, two silver and eight copper, I paid fifty gold each for five potions of cure light wounds because my friend almost died the last time we were out, fighting a land shark. My apologies, a pair of potions and my sweat is all I can offer for my lapse of memory... I'll work off the the balance of the debt as you require."
Richard's bulky frame stands at the ready, the coins are on the bench, he holds two potions of cure light wounds in his hand.

Velmont

First Post
[SBLOCK=OOC] Just an idea like that, Richard could sell some potion at Rinaldo's shop for 30 gp each... always better than the 25 gp value it worth. Just a suggestion like that ;) Sorry for this interruption, couldn't prevent myself to do it.[/SBLOCK]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases