Battletech??? An Entire Product line as a single product???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasyr

Banned
Banned
Recently a friend of mine pointed out some nice comments written about his products. (Note: my friend's product was not even listed as an honorable mention, so I doubt that it would have ended up within the final 5 for its category if the following had not been part of it).

In that blog, the ENnies Judge mentions that Battletech had been had an ENTIRE PRODUCT LINE entered as a single product.

Prior to being sent the link to the blog, I had not been paying attention to the ENnies this year. But upon seeing the underlined part in the image below, I did a little bit of checking as having a company being allowed to enter an entire product line as a single entry comes across as a severe abuse of ENnies, and unfair to the other entrants who are relying on a single product, not 10 or more products all lumped together as one.

ENjudge1.gif

Since when does an entire product line get entered as a single product? Click on the "Sample" link on the ENnies website, and it takes you to an online store where each product is listed separately. They aren't downloaded from their publisher as a single product? They aren't released as a single product, or even as part of a larger set (i.e. PHB, MM, and DMG - core books) that makes up the core parts of a given system. They are individual, separate products.

So why were they allowed to be entered in the ENnies as a single product?

And then there is this.....

By allowing all these different products to be entered as a single product, they also allowed a product to be entered that was published OUTSIDE the eligibility dates allowed by this year's awards.

The following image is from the ENnies website shows some of the thing included in this "SINGLE PRODUCT":

ennies1.gif

And this next image comes from the online store that the "sample" link takes you to. Notice the date it was added to the online store's catalog.....

Battletech1.gif

March of 2005!?!?!?! There is no way that that single product could be considered to be eligible on its own, yet it is included in the entire line as a single entry.

Why did nobody question this before? Why did nobody notice that at least one of the items considered to be part of the entrant was from 2 years ago?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay - before it gets brought up,yes, I have had issues with the ENnies in the past. I personally believe that the ENnies need to codify their rules in such a manner to allow for changes/updates, but to not allow judges to change the rules on a whim, or allow the rules used to be completely dumped on the whims of the judges in a given year.

Luckily for the ENnies, they have been blessed with judges of high integrity since their inception. However, that is not something that can fully be counted on to happen each and every year, hence my wanting the rules to be codified. I am not asking for any specific rules to be included or excluded, only that the rules not be change-able on the whims of a the judges each year.

If the rules were codified, then something like this (an entire product line as a single entry and/or products that are not normally eligible) would be less likely to happen...

werk

First Post
MrFilthyIke said:
Did I already post before Rasyr is the reason I swore off HARP/ICE?

Is that a question? Having trouble making out what you are trying to say here...

diaglo

Adventurer
maybe the blogger got confuzzled.

sometimes the publishers send extra material to help the judges to understand the product they did want to submit. edit: this can be older material like teh march 05 Rasyr highlights.

Rasyr

Banned
Banned
MrFilthyIke said:
Did I already post before Rasyr is the reason I swore off HARP/ICE?

Likely you did. :)

Now, I have personal views just like anybody else. I also feel free to express them. If you dislike that, you are quite free to disagree and to show that disagreement in the way you have.

Though I do find the idea of "shooting the messenger" (and the company he works for) just because you don't like the message to be a bit silly and childish. And, IMO, that is exactly the choice that you made. And because of that, I feel sorry for you.

Rasyr

Banned
Banned
diaglo said:
maybe the blogger got confuzzled.

sometimes the publishers send extra material to help the judges to understand the product they did want to submit. edit: this can be older material like teh march 05 Rasyr highlights.

Except the that ENnies website includes that particular product in its description. (See the second image)

And the Fanpro website does not include ANY SINGLE download that includes all the products listed. It lists everything separately.

And the way that Master of the World (the judge, whose blog that is) phrased that underlined sentence makes it sound like he had no input into the decision as to whether or not that was a valid entry or that it was not a topic that even came up among the judges.

Either way it sounds like there was no vetting or checking of the entrants to be sure that they were legal entrants.

And I do think that this is something that should be looked at.

With ICE not being involved this year, there can be no claim that I have any intention other than my actual intention of wanting to see the ENnies improve.

Last edited:

diaglo

Adventurer
Rasyr said:
Except the that ENnies website includes that particular product in its description. (See the second image)

And the Fanpro website does not include ANY SINGLE download that includes all the products listed. It lists everything separately.

And the way that Master of the World (the judge, whose blog that is) phrased that underlined sentence makes it sound like he had no input into the decision as to whether or not that was a valid entry or that it was not a topic that even came up among the judges.

Either way it sounds like there was no vetting or checking of the entrants to be sure that they were legal entrants.

the image linked on the file is probably b/c the publisher didn't submit a link to the actual product. which left the ENnies crew searching for something to link. likely the one included.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Who cares if part of the product was from 2 years ago or more; they're repackaging stuff that's, what?, twenty years old as a compilation for a new generation. The free book was done this year, which makes it eligible.

From the publisher submission guidelines on the ENnies page:
Products that contain material from products considered in previous years will not be considered unless they contain a significant portion of new material.

I'd say that the vast majority of the package being new qualifies as a significant portion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases